PDA

View Full Version : Registration of topic for copyrights?

Sharp-Shooter
08-21-2004, 04:07 AM
Hi,

I have already started working on my first documentary. I am based in Toronto, Canada and was wondering is there a need or way to register the name/theme of my topic and-or title, and if yes where do I do it? The reason I am asking this is, I am working on a very interesting topic and feel insecure that while I am talking to people around me, somebody might just land up doing the same. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
P.S. Will be done using DVX of course :)

Neil Rowe
08-21-2004, 06:10 AM
http://www.copyright.gov/

J_Barnes
08-23-2004, 04:58 AM
on a side note, I'm not sure if you can register a topic...but one thing you can do is draw up a non-compete/non-disclosure agreement and have people sign it before you consult with them.

That might give you a feeling of security, as then everyone who signs it could not go develop competing products to yours.

Sharp-Shooter
08-25-2004, 02:01 AM
Hi Barnes,

That sounds like are very good idea. Thanks a ton!

09-05-2004, 04:54 PM
If I'm not mistaken, you can register the film description with Writer's Guild of America and the Library of Congress. In Canada there might be similar agencies.

J_Barnes
09-06-2004, 08:29 AM
Even if that's true, I don't think it would apply to documentary ideas. News and documentaries are fair game usually, facts are difficult to copyright.

Reality programming is a different story, but that tends to deal far less with factual public information.

THiNSPiRiT
09-07-2004, 12:56 AM
http://strategis.gc.ca/sc_mrksv/cipo/cp/cp_main-e.html

Try this site out... it's the Canadian Intellectual Property office.

It has a guide to copyrights and probably loads of other good info on how to copyright material. Canadian based too... the first link given is a US one...

DVX100Shooter
09-15-2004, 11:03 AM
You could also try having the people you are talking to sign some sort of DISCLOSURE form or release that basically says I am telling you about something I am planning on doing and you cannot used my ideas and my techniques to go and do it yourself. A friend of mine at work had an idea for a local TV show but he would not tell me anything about it until I signed a form!