PDA

View Full Version : DVX100 USED TO SHOOT MDA PACKAGE

liveshot
09-03-2004, 02:23 PM
HI ALL,
I HAVE JUST COMPLETED A FOUR MINUTE PACKAGE FOR THE MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY ASSOCIATION IN SAN DIEGO. IT WAS SHOT ON A DVX 100 AND CUT WITH FCPHD. PLEASE WATCH THE TELETHON ON SUNDAY SEP 5 AND MONDAY SEP 6 ON KUSI TELEVISION (WHERE I WORK) OR KPBS. THE STORY IS ABOUT A PRO BIKE RACER WHO HAS MD. I WILL POST THIS VIDEO SOON FOR THOSE WHO CAN NOT WATCH ON SUN/MON. THE VIDEO WAS BEAUTIFUL, THE AUDIO WAS SUPEREB AS WELL. THESE CAMERAS ARE AMAZING, AND IN THIS CASE MINE WAS USED TO HELP BRING AWARENESS TO ADULT ONSET MD. THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS AND PLEASE HELP MDA WHEREVER YOU LIVE, IT IS A GREAT ORGANIZATION.

jdh3334
09-05-2004, 07:41 AM
Excellent. I'm in the Eastern U.S., I look forward to seeing your doc online.....
Did you use artificial lighting and what did you use to light the scenes?
What equipment did you use to record audio?
I bought a DVX100a in July to shoot documentary style footage for a university owned television station. Very happy with the look of the footage. Not so happy with quality of audio (purchased an AG-MC100)
Thanks.....
Jeff

liveshot
09-05-2004, 05:13 PM
HI Jeff,
The whole package was shot under outdoor daylight conditions, no artificial light was used however, I did use reflectors and silks in a couple of interviews. Most of this story was shot on either a tripod or back of a pickup truck, as it is about a guy who is a pro bike racer. The best solution I could come up with audio-wise (-5 spelling), was a sony ecm 77b hooked up to a lectrosonics cube transmitter. (tucked under his racing jersy). For nat sound i used a sony camera mount mic commonly found on news cameras, I'm sorry I dont know the exact model but I know it works well from my experience in news, in fact I even used natural sound as sound bites in this piece and it turned out really well. The only other mic I used on this shoot was the sanken cs-1 shotgun, this is a wonderful mic but cost about $800. I also own a Sound Devices 302 field mixer. I only used it once on this particular piece but it integrates well with the dvx. The only advice I can give you is to get a good "camera mic" as in a short shotgun type module. To me, natural sound from the camera point of view is the most powerful when covering news and documentaries. Take care and good luck!!

AQUARIUSDUDE
09-21-2004, 09:59 PM
Hey Todd look forward to checking it out!!