PDA

View Full Version : working with a translator

PatriciaL
10-07-2004, 05:17 AM
I'm leaving Saturday for a shoot in Bosnia and am trying to sort out the audio while working with a translator during interviews. Since I don't speak the language, I will need a way to match what is said with its translation. I was planning on using a lapel mike on the interviewee and a mini disc recorder on the translator so that I could lower the volume of the speaker and have the translator's voice be more audible. Or I could use a shotgun mike for both, but then I am stuck with one volume on both people.
Also, this is solo so I need to travel light.
thanks.

moe_snodgrass
10-07-2004, 08:44 AM
To make it easier, you could record a formal translation later, even in post. Initially, you only need a translation to get an understanding of what was said and whether it's something that you can use. Putting off the formal translation--the one that will be on film--makes the shoot much easier. You have much more calm and control if you do it in post.

XCheck
10-07-2004, 03:37 PM
You can record both, each to different channel, and split the channels in post to put on different tracks. Then you can control each track's volume individual - fade them in and out as you need.

But I think translation in post is a better approach - one I am planning for my doc. Of course, the advantage I have is that I speak both the original language and English, so I am planning to actually write the English narrative, then have an experienced voice actor read it, and then I'd overlay it on top of the original track.

So, this is also a question for everyone else - is that something you guys think is reasonable?

moe_snodgrass
10-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Very reasonable.

FlacaProductions
10-11-2004, 09:10 PM
btdt. do the formal translation when you get back. just make sure that your translation on the ground doesn't overlap or step on the original SOT or you'll kill yourself when you edit.