PDA

View Full Version : Using the "OPEN of a show"

DVX100Shooter
11-30-2004, 01:43 PM
Right off the bat, I know its totally illegal and the person or persons can be sued for using something like a show's open for their own personal use.

I had a meeting with a local music producer last night and he showed me a music video that someone shot and edited of one of his artists. They basically took the complete open of one of the well known news stations here in the city and even kept it going right into the first story of the news which was a brawl at a local high school. The singer happens to be from the same part of town the school is in and they shot the video there in that area.

Well again the video begins with the open of the 6 o clock news and the first story then dissolves into the artist singing.

I thought it was a clever concept how he edited the piece. But I know for a fact that he would not be able to air that video anywhere.

I didn't really have any advice to give him. What would someone have to do if they wanted to get clearance to use something like that in a video? Who would they contact? How much to pay?

bodaphoto
11-30-2004, 09:59 PM
I would think News would be ok to use, you would probably have to get permission from the News Channel, shouldn't be big deal.

I remember Too $hort's video back in the day "I Heard A Rumor" ....I heard a little rumor Too Short was dead, Walked into house got shot in the head...
They used the beginning of I believe it was Tom Brokaw who actually reported Too Short had been killed, then several months later Too Short releases the album and comes out with the video and there hadn't been any correction done.

So, you can use it, you just have to ask the station.

BLUESPIDER
12-05-2004, 01:44 AM
You can use practically anything as long as you ask for proper premission or you can pay them.