PDA

View Full Version : Is The DVX right for me?

jstein
12-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Hello everyone,
I have been granted the special privilege of filming an upcoming documentary by a non profit organization. The initial outline created by me for the documentary won everyone over. I have been given a modest budget but enough to finally attain my own DV cam. As I am quite sure many of you did before you purchased your camera and maybe of few of you are doing before you actually purchase a camera is a ton of research.

Now that the dust has cleared and settled I think the DVX is the cam for me. However, the one knock that constantly comes up with the DVX is that it is not good for “run and gun” work. For the most part that is what this doc will be a lot of run and gun. This doc will be very personal as well so in most cases showing up with a crew, proper lighting etc etc may not be a possibility.

So considering these circumstances is the DVX the cam for me? I plan to use whatever DV cam I end up with for other things as well, but for now the documentary is my main priority.

Neil Rowe
12-14-2004, 11:47 AM
if your anexperienced camera operator the DVX is GREAT for run + gun. and you can always flip it into 60i for faster autofocus if you like or need auto. you can change pretty much everything else to auto too. *i think that overall it gives you the most choice run + gun out of a cam, and really pulls its weigt. the only other cam id consider would be the XL2 if you need *the super long tele. but its also bigger and heavier. the DVX is small light ans quick for run + gun.. i think its really optimal IMHO

XCheck
12-14-2004, 11:51 AM
On the contrary - DVX is GREAT for run and gun. It's smaller and lighter than, say XL1/XL2, and, what I think is its greatest advantage, it has a great picture out of the box (set the scene file to F6 and you practically don't have to touch a thing).

I recently returned from a documentary shooting in a lot of diverse environments (mountains with freezing temps, city with shine and rain, day and night, controlled interiors with lights), and the DVX was performing great in all conditions. I spent one whole day covering demonstrations and rallies on a rainy day (and night), and the footage is awesome! I don't think there is another camera in this price range that would perform as well.

Go for it!

BLUESPIDER
12-14-2004, 01:15 PM
for the price yes! You can't find a camera with that kind of quality for its price range.

avr
12-15-2004, 04:04 PM
In auto mode and in the interlaced mode (60 i or 50 i PAL) you have in your hands a great camera run and gun. If you have more time you can get wonderful shootings.
good luck

jstein
12-18-2004, 11:15 PM
Hey everyone,
Thanks so much for the input your advice was greatly needed......

sojrn
12-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Full Auto! :)