PDA

View Full Version : The Dinner Guest

DC Ninjas
02-25-2010, 01:28 AM
TAGLINE:
A tender story of boy meats girl

SYNOPSIS:
A young man is invited over to his new girlfriend's house for dinner to meet the family only to discover that gaining the approval of her parents may take more than just good table manners.

http://www.davidgroseclose.com/dinnerguest/TheDinnerGuest_Poster.jpg

CAST:
Drew Cohn
Shaelen Burroughs
Varda Appleton
Dave Barrett
Miles Elliot

MUSIC BY: Dave Groseclose
EDITED BY: Chanel Eakin
WRITTEN BY: Chanel Eakin
DIRECTED BY: Chanel Eakin & Dave Groseclose

DC Ninjas
02-25-2010, 01:40 AM
Drew Cohn as Greg
http://davidgroseclose.com/dinnerguest/drewcohn.png

Shaelen Burroughs as Lucy
http://davidgroseclose.com/dinnerguest/shaelenburroughs.png

Varda Appleton as Mrs. Baker
http://davidgroseclose.com/dinnerguest/vardaappleton.png

Dave Barrett as Mr. Baker
http://davidgroseclose.com/dinnerguest/davebarrett.jpg

Miles Elliot as Timmy
http://davidgroseclose.com/dinnerguest/mileselliot.jpg

DC Ninjas
02-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Hi guys!
First timers here! We're looking forward to seeing everyone's work. We'd love to hear your feedback. Be nice though we're new here!

http://davidgroseclose.com/dinnerguest/dinnerguest_banner.jpg

DC Ninjas
02-25-2010, 02:00 AM
http://davidgroseclose.com/dinnerguest/dinnerguest_frame4.png

http://davidgroseclose.com/dinnerguest/dinnerguest_frame3.png

http://davidgroseclose.com/dinnerguest/dinnerguest_frame2.png

http://davidgroseclose.com/dinnerguest/dinnerguest_frame1.png

http://davidgroseclose.com/dinnerguest/dinnerguest_frame5.png

jasonthewho
02-25-2010, 02:10 AM
Deleted my first post to leave you more reserveds.

Still like the poster and cast though.

DC Ninjas
02-25-2010, 03:06 AM
Thanks for the nice comment Jason! We're really excited to see what everyone's been working on!

Marlon Ladd
02-25-2010, 07:56 AM
Welcome and good luck.

Rodney V. Smith
02-25-2010, 08:00 AM
NICE! Great poster dude. I'm very intrigued. Welcome to the fest!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-25-2010, 08:24 AM
This looks like fun.

A tender story of boy meats girl
:grin:

RodThompson
02-25-2010, 08:38 AM
Incoming FUN and intrigue!!! EVERYONE DOWN!

ZazaCast
02-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Welcome to the fest! I can't wait to see what the betrayal is in this one...

Super Poster. :thumbsup:

Chris_Keaton
02-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Ooo looks like a cannibal film, I can't wait.

hoz
02-25-2010, 10:47 PM
looks great! can't wait to watch it.

DC Ninjas
02-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Finishing final edit tonight! Should be ready to upload soon!

Tunnelmen
02-27-2010, 06:59 PM
I don't know how many times that it can be said before it loses meaning, but I'm also very intrigued!

larryogron
02-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Cute kid, looks hungry!

SonicStates
02-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Love that poster! I'm really looking forward to see 'what's inside'!!!

Chris Messineo
03-04-2010, 05:56 PM
This might be my favorite poster in the fest. Those photos are priceless.

I'm looking forward to the film.

DC Ninjas
03-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Just uploaded the film! Can't wait to see everything! Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

Mike@AF
03-05-2010, 12:56 AM
Congrats and welcome! Looking forward to watching it.

Richard J. Johnson
03-05-2010, 01:48 AM
Fantastic Thread. That is one creepy looking family. The Photos are hysterical in a really Effed up in the head sort of way. Can't wait for this one.

vnguyen972
03-05-2010, 07:06 AM
love this kind of stories... will watch this for sure... besides Shaelen looks beautiful

pborghee
03-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Good luck! My vote of course goes for this one because the character Lucy is amazingly beautiful. Good job on casting!

griffin
03-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Looking forward to this one.. great job d&c

totitefilms
03-06-2010, 02:35 PM
story line is intriguing. can't wait to see the film.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
03-06-2010, 02:37 PM
I have a feeling about this one.
Good luck in the Fest. I'll be watching this one early.

MAH

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 06:04 PM
LMAO!! that was epic. That kid was genius!! the gore was right up my alley, Real retro and super cool. The acting was spot on all the way around. I have nothing at all bad to say about this one. The mother and father creeped me the hell out.

Gohanto
03-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Wow, just wow. Well done on all fronts.

chriscurl
03-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Loved it, actors were perfect, if anything I thought could have ended before the full table shot with the guts etc., I thought the point was made by then, as the close up family conversation shots were so good. But one of my favorites so far!

GoodLuck
03-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Man this is totally not my kind of film but I thought it was creative, well shot and the acting well executed for the theme. Really love the point of view shots mixed in and the little boy really played his role really well. Overall I thought it was well casted. I think many people will see the ending coming which is okay if you execute on it properly and you really went all out showing it, so I don't think people will be disappointed. lol

Homunculus
03-06-2010, 08:51 PM
aaaaahahaha. great acting. perfect for this story. well done. the two parents were just hilarious. then it turned real creepy. nice colors, directing, lighting, photography.

RodThompson
03-07-2010, 12:07 PM
This is the most disturbing shit I have ever laughed at.

Awesome job. LOL

Michael Anthony Horrigan
03-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Story: This was a lot of fun. No surprises of course but fun none the less.

Acting: Very good on all counts. Even the kid was super creepy! :)

Technical: Shot and lit very well. Sound was a little hissy in between every spoken word though. The effects were great! Especially what was waiting in the fridge. The music was well suited too.

Funny and disturbing. Me like. :)

MAH

randin
03-07-2010, 02:27 PM
I'd say it's funnier because it was so obvious to the whole audience, but not the lead character, what was happening. We all knew what was going to happen but it was totally fun to watch it play out anyway. Extra props for the gag with the kid doing exactly what he was in the picture.

vnguyen972
03-07-2010, 02:36 PM
This flick is really sick and twisted... I like it! hahaha... man that girl was so pretty! I would definitely fall into her trap for her and her family to eat... question is, would she bring me home to eat? LOL
Camera angle was awesome... beautifully framed and shot... color outside was great, until they got inside, maybe my monitor or something but their skin tone has too much purple/red? I don't know how to explain it... and though it doesn't bother me too much, I still find it a bit annoying :-) Not sure why you chose to VO his thoughts because he kinda repeat what I already acknowledged... I mentioned this because the movie started out as a story wasn't told by him, was it? Maybe I have missed it... but man, when he woke up, my favorite character has already turnt... and I no longer enjoyed the movie!!! LOL j/k. .. overall, great job man... I like the mom & dad characters too... they're really funny and spot on.... the kid was hilarious... love that shot when he first saw the pic and then he was right there with the same pose as in the picture, love it!

Bigmagic
03-07-2010, 03:18 PM
I have to say, you took an idea that has been overdone by every twilight zone wanna be and turned it into wonderful film. I loved the imagery in this film and the campy acting and the over the top marks it hits. I must have a twisted sense of humor because I really liked this one. Great Job!

Christopher Blake
03-07-2010, 03:23 PM
I kept thinking about "To Serve Man"

Perfectly twisted. Well done. The movie, not the main course. :)

mark menditto
03-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Ick. I knew what was coming, and it still creeped me out. Funny. Liked the surprise at the end of the mantle (little brother). Liked the camera angles. They fit the overall feel of the piece. Performances were great and creepy. Nicely done. Thanks.

The Falcone
03-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Very enjoyable. Catching the little brother at the fireplace was well done. Liked that. The acting was right on. Very natural and cleverly campy. The close camera shots add a nice touch of humor tot he situation. I enjoyed it. Even though I knew what was happening, I still wanted to see how you pulled it off. I really enjoyed the waking up on the table part. Reminded me of 'Creep Show' and 'Tales From The Cript' style. Well done.

Mike@AF
03-07-2010, 07:39 PM
I was grossed out. That's a good thing.

What was happening was obvious, making the entire film predictable from the moment he gets out of the car. I think if you get rid of the VO it would alleviate that and the film would still work. I agree with the comment above about the wide shot of the table not being necessary.

The use of the wide angle lens so often meant that there was usually lens distortion in the picture, which bothers me, but maybe no one else has issue with that. I don't know.

Acting was great, making the film comedically horrific. Well done!

MSpencer
03-07-2010, 07:47 PM
very well done. i liked the lighting and all the story was kindof predictable but it was still good. but man those close ups... wow... kindof made me not wanna eat... they were just.. in your face.. and at one point i was like i think i get the idea but it kept on going.. i liked that you pushed it a bit.. well done..

Tim Joy
03-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Campy, great shots (love wide lenses, especially close up), fun acting, scary kid, funny, funny, funny.
You got several hardy belly laughs from me. The tension was built nicely, then a big "ewww" at the end.

While it wasn't 100% polished, it was very entertaining and told a great story with fun characters.

Bon Appetit!

Chris_Keaton
03-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I loved it. I got sucked in and totally forgot I was watching an 'indie'. So great job. Sure we knew what was going to happen, but the tension was spot on.

Ben Sliker
03-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Oh man ... this movie is so uncomfortable, disturbing, and gross.

But seriously, I think cannibals get a bad wrap, why do they always have to be insanely creepy and shot with a wide angle? Aren't there any well-adjusted flesh-eaters out there? :)

This was funny and got underneath my skin. Good job!

Tunnelmen
03-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Very good! I was most excited about watching this fim from the posters and it did not dissapoint. I LOVED the parents and the pose of kid mimicing the picture. The close ups of the bloody teeth were cool. I would have been happy with it ending there, especially since you let us know what was up from the very beginning. I don't really have a problem with the wide shot at the end...I could take it or leave it....its kinda funny actually cause its sorta like a fat dude pouring a cup of gravy over a mountain of heart clogging food. You know, like..."might as well"....anyway, fantastic film...I'm rating it high!

stinkpot
03-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Great job! Great characters! Loved the it! Reminds me of "Parents" with Randy Quaid... which is an all time favorite of mine.

ZazaCast
03-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Great film! Liked the way it was shot, felt like I was there...Please pass the sauce, this one's a little bland. :zombie_smiley:
I felt like you could have tweaked the color in places, but other than that...very cool. Loved the acting.

ChrisHurn
03-08-2010, 06:20 PM
LOL! That was intense. Loved this. I really enjoyed the way you shot this, what a great contrast between the really campy stuff and the close ups of the mouths and eyes. Nice reverb, and nice clanging forks etc.

Got me with the kid at the fireplace! Nice. Really good score throughout, definitely helped with the mood and tone of the film. Nice stuff. Nice colour to this, the V.O was cool, very motivated shooting which was cool to see. Nice acting, really good job all round!

Memorable Moment
That stuff at the end got intense, and I really liked the way you shot it. The whole film really stuck out for me. A few other shots too like the wide of the house, and the entry to the house with the score, great stuff.

This film definitely stood out for me, awesome work.

SonicStates
03-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Nice! Twisted, funny and well shot. I was really looking forward to seeing this one and you served it (haha) up very well. The looks between the diners were great. I really like that full on change of pace at the end. Everyone was great.
In my favourite few for sure!
Cheers,
Sam.

Chris Messineo
03-08-2010, 08:49 PM
I really enjoyed this a lot. It oozed style and I mean that in the best way possible. All the characters were great, but I especially loved the little brother - he was downright creepy.

Very well done.

DC Ninjas
03-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the critiques! This is our first fest for DVX and we think everyone is so great about providing feedback!

A lot of people have been saying that they could see the ending coming and that's how we intended it to be. Part of the humor of the situation was that the Bakers are obviously creepy and all the clues are there but Greg is still soooo eager to impress them and win over Lucy.

We're thankful for all the comments. This is a good experience.

vnguyen972
03-09-2010, 12:50 PM
.. the situation was that the Bakers are obviously creepy and all the clues are there but Greg is still soooo eager to impress them and win over Lucy.

I don't blame Greg :-)

Dauntless
03-09-2010, 06:03 PM
This was really good:)... I love the scene where he's looking at the picture and turns to see the kid in the same position..haha.. Great acting, lighting, editing, sound, music...ect... Really good job!

hoz
03-09-2010, 07:45 PM
jeez!!! Gregger!

congrats on your film!

i felt as though i had jumped right into one of those Mentos commercials where something was going to go wrong but let's smile anyway! I'm for dinner? Cool!

great casting! And i thought the acting was spot on for the film!
Story- prob ran a bit too long since the ending was obviously telegraphed upon meeting the parents at the door. and this can work as it is but then i think its got to play out with a bit more humor - like where Greg was surprised by the boy - that worked well! or with the sexual tension comment Greg made as a narrator - that was funny.

only other small nitpick i'd mention is the need to put the cam on sticks. i just think this sort of movie would've benefited greatly without any shaking or such.

again, congrats on your film!!

alex whitmer
03-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Very funny and very well filmed. Really loved the angles/shots and distortion. Stuff you see in those weird dreams. Nicely executed.

I saw the ending coming, but it didn't take away from it. Wanted to see how you'd get us there - road less traveled. Kid was cool, humor was really well delivered. Loved the bit about the whole family being in on the 'inappropriate thoughts'. Too funny.

Mr. and Mrs. Double Knit have a luau!

MrSeth
03-10-2010, 04:57 PM
My critique for The Dinner Guest
The story:
Very funny yet psychotic. Ending was a little predictable but I enjoyed it throughout! That bit with the kid was funny and I nearly jumped out of my seat!

The acting:
Everyone was on top of their acting!

The camerawork:
Nice choice of colors -- camera angles and movement = very creative.

The editing:
Editing was remarkable!

The sound and music:
Sound design was top notch. Dialogue was clear to understand, as well as the narration.

Overall impression:
Good job with this one! Very enjoyable!

My favorite shot:
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/3670/screenshot20100310at656.png

DC Ninjas
03-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the thorough critique, Mr. Seth! Glad you enjoyed it and that we made you jump out of your seat :)

Tom Shortridge
03-12-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure what it is about this film.

I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong. Good performances, no problems with the lighting or sound, and a solid story well-told.

There just wasn't an X-factor here that sucked me in. Maybe it was the fact that I could see the ending coming? But I did enjoy the dramatic irony that the audience pretty much knows what's going and the main character doesn't, so that's not it.

You've got all the tools here to do great things. Maybe next time I'll get sucked in.

jambredz
03-12-2010, 08:32 PM
LOL...LUVED this! great wide angles...excellent acting. i was laughing my ass off. luved the reaction Greg had when the mom caressed his ear ...LOL. He's such a dope...but that girl is mitey hot, and i;m not even 2 sweet on blondes. I luv that his glasses didnt have lenses.

A+

John LaBonney
03-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Great entry! I really enjoyed watching this. Mom and Dad, and the creepy kid were awesome! This reminded me so much of something out of The Twilight Zone, with its own little twist.

Great job!

jasonthewho
03-14-2010, 09:14 AM
This was a really good entry. Very stylish. The actors all gave 110% commitment to their parts.

The costumes and production design were top notch. Love the look of the house too.

Very well shot and edited.

Predictable story, but I went with it.

A few minor critiques:

I really liked the overall sound design, but listening on headphones, I could hear some rough cuts from clip to clip.

Because the story is told from the young man's perspective, with his narration, I would cut the jacket smelling shot. I'd prefer to see as much of the story through his eyes as possible.

On the fade out shot of the girlfriend looking at him, it would've been cool if at the very end the camera had tilted and dropped, really selling him passing out.

All the guts eating looks so great. It's awesomely done. But for some reason the last closeup on his face looks horribly fake. Was it impossible to just get a shot from above the table?

Scott F
03-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Loved it. Great looking cast, good story. So many positve comments I agree with in the last few pages, I'll just leave it at: What they said.

Love the wide angle foyer shot.

namelok
03-17-2010, 02:32 AM
Congrats! :)

Tim Joy
03-17-2010, 06:34 AM
One of my favorites. Really glad you made it to the next round.

ugafan
03-17-2010, 09:56 PM
"the sexual tension has definitely been increasing at a moderate incline"

:grin:

Aaron Marshall
03-17-2010, 10:15 PM
I forgot to comment on this one. I've been meaning to. I liked what you had going on here. It was terrifying and it made me laugh. I knew her parents were weirdos, but I couldn't help but think their behaviour was hilarious. This one was in my top 10.

Chris_Keaton
03-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Congrats. I was rooting for you.

Blaine
03-18-2010, 11:41 AM
I wished you hadn't telegraphed the ending so much. At the 1:14 mark I knew he was going to BE dinner. After that it was just a matter of when it happened. I wished you could have been more subtle.

The picture and sound quality were very good. I had a bit of a problem with the blood color when they were eating, it didn't look real to me and hurt in the "sale" of what they were eating.

Good looking cast, decent acting. I don't think the voice over was necessary. It felt like you were feeding exposition that was conveyed through their actions.

dougspice
03-18-2010, 04:02 PM
I generally try not to read anyone else's reviews before I post mine, but since Blaine's is sitting right there above this I did glance across it, and I have to totally agree... I really liked where this was going but then felt really disappointed with the way it played out. I don't think being more subtle is the answer here, since your whole film is rooted in a very unique, quirky, over-the-top approach... but you really, really needed some twist or anything at all unexpected at the end.

Unfortunately, I pretty much got the whole movie just from the poster. It could have been half as long and just as effective from a story perspective.

What kept it going, though, was the quality of it. You had a lot of great, well-crafted elements in this film that all worked really well... the wide-angle lenses, the totally committed performances. I actually laughed out loud at the reveal of the little brother. Good stuff. The lighting seemed a little lazy in many of the scenes but other than that this was, ahem, well done.

griffin
03-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Great Job! This is my favorite one in the fest. The acting in it was superb, every character played their part perfectly. I loved the campiness and over top-ness of all of it.

Things I liked:
The lighting was solid and it reminded me of a regular house (including the head in the fridge)
I really liked the audio on this. The sound design was very well done.
The voice over tied things together as well as advance the piece, much like how it's used in Arrested Development. The VO definitely added to this.
What they were eating looked disgusting but it didn't bother me. I thought the disgustingness of it definitely added to piece.
The story. You made cannibalism fun. Cannibalism has been done so many times but your film had a fresh take on it and made it really humorous.
The acting was great and well casted.
Everything else.

Things I didn't like:
It wasn't long enough.

For ONLY having a 2 PERSON CREW, you did a great job. The production quality was fantastic. I read people's comments and some were complaining about the predictability of the story... it was predictable but it felt like you wanted the audience to know they were going to be cannibals. The fact that HE was the only one that didn't know made it so much better. And plus, if you took out them smelling the jacket and other creepy shots and them acting creepy, it would definitely ruin the film.

The fact that you had such a great story and with actors that fit the part perfectly were just proof that you don't need a twist or something else to happen to try to lure people in or keep some sort of lasting memory. I think that a lot of the time(not saying this fest, but just in general), people will just put in a twist, cgi/sfx, or a shocking moment just to put one in because their story isn't that good and they need something to make people remember their movie.

Anyway, DC Ninja's did a great job with this movie and hopes it wins it all!

Brandon Rice
03-19-2010, 07:17 AM
Ok... saw it... Honestly, it was creepy and disturbing, and though some of the performances were ok, I didn't like it.

dre83
03-19-2010, 03:16 PM
I like to diner.....at someone else house... so the title attracted me :-p

- voice over AND keeping the direct sound, very good !!

- the doors makes sound when it closes only... good to know :-p
Don't worry I understand the idea behind it and it's good.

- small "jump" in continuity: "Work out son ?" different reaction....

- I am the scene where the boys wants to bite Greg... I have a feeling now that it's a vampire (can not...to much light...) well.. a "human eating family then... film. I don't know if that's good or not ?

- and yes, I heard a small "mistake" in sound. The background noise chanses a bit around 3:11 (listen between 3:08 en 3:15, when the phrase "let's go" ends...

- "euh, thank you I...." the "euh" was taken from the wide shot where the boom couldn't reach, the "thank you I...." was from another shot. The "euh" sounded little to far actualy

In general it's very well done. The close ups of the family eating, very well done.
I don't want to see this one during my own diner :-p

Zim
03-19-2010, 04:41 PM
I was eating lunch when I watched this!!! Good film.