PDA

View Full Version : ¿What would you like to know about Spain?

pabloabad
11-23-2004, 05:15 PM
Hi, everybody :)

I'm looking for a good subject for a documentary, and need your help. I'd like to tell something about Spain that most people would be interested in.
So, what documentary would you like to see about something in Spain? What would you like to know about this country? ???

I'd appreciate any answer

Thanks
Pablo

Wildcat
11-24-2004, 10:25 AM
There is alot of interesting things in Spain that you can make a documentary on, all of which requires research in those subjects. It should be more about what you want to tell your audience about Spain.

You can make a documentary about the Madrid bombing of 2004. Research why the terrorist killed so many people on the trains. Why did the Spanish Government blamed the ETA so quickly without giving much consideration that an Islamic terrorist group may have been behind it? Who do the Spanish people blame for the death of almost 200 people?

Other ideas for a documentary would be about History of spanish royalty, the running of the bulls, Spanish Civil War of 1936-1939 and many others.

So do one that interest you the most and there will be people out there that will share your same interest.

travis
11-24-2004, 03:21 PM
Make one call "Citizen Aznar" And you can subtitle as: the reborn Franco.
There´s plenty of material as you probably already know.
It has all the elements of the tragedy.
His begginins in politics... how can someone without any interest became president; all his atrocity at the gobernment (Irak, Prestige/ the hunt down of the pais vasque independence... and so on) and his final steps... (11-M) and how he try to use it for his political party and cheat to all the countries (and after all it was all for getting the gas cheaper... 190 dead bodies for that... Incredible)

Or yeah, make a documentary about bull fighting and continue the prefabricated ideas about Spain.

By the way, and i know you are from there, why do you wanna made a documentary about Spain?

pabloabad
11-24-2004, 05:48 PM
Travis, I see you know Aznar very well :D. At last he's not our President anymore. ;D

I'm beginning in the documentary world, so I have to produce my first works. It implies not going too far or too long, etc.

I've travelled quite a lot, but Spain is, of course, what I know most about and I want to do a work interesting for as many people as possible. If I choose a very local subject, I guess it won't have the same interest in international festivals.

As many friends of mine, I hate bull fighting, I'd like it to get eradicated from our country, but I understand it's curious for everybody else.

I'm just wondering what subjects would be the most interesting for people all over the world.

Your posts help me a lot, guys, thanks!!
:)

travis
11-25-2004, 09:19 AM
What if you make a documentary about what kind of documentary would like the spanish people to be done about Spain.
Could be funny. Sure there will be a lot of issues.

You know getting people and ask them what they are proud of his country, and why... What do they hate about his country....
At the end could be a documentary about how people feel about his nation. (some probably won´t give a shit about his nation)

Rosselllini says: Be local and you would become universal.

Yeah, i know aznar very well
I lived one year in Madrid, Lavapies.
The year of the prewar when Ana de Palacios was kissing powell´s ass.

Excuse my unpolite language/ but i won´t excuses your bombs...

travis

versioncity1
11-25-2004, 10:49 PM
What would you like to make a documentary film about? I suggest if you don't know, then quit now and give up film making.
The idea of trying to please the majority, or attemting to find a subject that appeals to everybody is a waste of time and pointless.
Dig deep into yourself.
Find the smallest story and tell it well.
Why tell a story that everyone already knows?
Look around you.
Try making 10-15 min docus first. Try the simplest things (because you will find they are not simple at all) Short films about....
Your grandmother going to see a friend
A childs point of view on his/her family
A farmers realtionship with their land
A traffic warden who stands on the same corner every day

Find the smallest details and you will appeal to the whole world because you are essentially looking at what it is to be human

If you don't understand this...
Make corporate videos

best of luck

pabloabad
11-30-2004, 01:23 PM
Excuse my unpolite language/ but i won´t excuses your bombs...
(Travis)

¿Our Bombs?
Sorry, man, but 90% of people in Spain was against Iraq War. We went to so many demonstrations for peace, we tried so hard not to go to war after Bush's ass... that it hurts when somebody says: "your bombs".
I guess almost half of USA people feel the same when they read "American bombs".
I, of course, didn't vote Aznar or any of his people, and I'm soooo happy without him... ;D. In fact, I'd be very happy to prove Aznar's lies after 11-m, but if all the journalists looking after that cannot do it, it must be very, very difficult.

And, Versioncity1, I really appreciate your advices, but I guess you don't fully understand my question. I didn't say "I don't know what I can do a movie about for practising". I was trying to ask for a subject interesting to people outside Spain so I can sell it to a producer. The subjects you propose are fine, but in a businessman/woman's mind, maybe they're not profitable. I like your ideas, anyway, I hope you don't mind if I use them someday.
Right now I'm trying to do a kind of a market study, it's not a complaint for not having ideas. I understand your point of appealing to people's humanity, it helps me a lot, seriously, I'll try to use this advice when writing the approach.
Anyway, I'd really like to see your documentaries, send me a link to them.

Thanks.

travis
12-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Sorry Pablo.
Don´t mean what you think i mean.
I was just writting something i rode and it didn´t have any intentions against the people from spain (it could have to the PP government of Spain, especially Ana Palacios)
It makes me laugh how in the occidental society the people take a lot of care about the language but never think in the harm that his bombs and capitalism business made to the world. We care more about the form and to so much about the inside "La forma y no el fondo"
I know Spain was completetely against the war. Like i told you i was there.

Sorry for the missundestood.

Travis.

Woodson
12-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Hey Pablo, I LOVE SPAIN...

I used to live there when I was a kid. I've been back to Spain in 2000 and 2002 for travelling and visiting family in Mostoles.

For Documentary ideas... hmm... how about something about the Spanish culture, and how people live their lifes, Spanish Civil War of 1936-1939 would be very interesting, or Ernest Hemmingway's adventures around Spain and were he visited and what he did there, would really be awesome.

avr
12-15-2004, 03:29 PM
"hola" pabloabad, I believe that a good topic for a Spanish documentary is that of the bulls. To my they makes me grace because a lot of people are manifested against the war of Iraq and they don't say anything of the brutality that are made is Spain for tradition, like happens with the bullfights and other animal abuses. A good topic would be that of the corruption of the previous government of Mr. Aznar (felipe González), as the creation of a terrorist group GAL that finished killing innocent, or the escape of taxes and grafts of many of the minister of the PSOE. Other good topic would be the massacres that made the Spaniards when they colonized America. Speaking of Aznar would be also a good one documental the great prosperity that we have lived Spain and the 4 million new works (40 million inhabitants in Spain.) Returning to the attacks of the 14 M could also be why the current government it moved away the soldiers from Iraq saying that the Islamic integrist threat would be avoided and at the moment there are dozens of Islamic detainees that they wanted to attempt at the moment. Why it was so bad to the Americans and Mr. Bush when they are our allies, let us don't maybe remember now those who gave their life to save Europe to the Nazi.

As you see friend, there are many topics for your documentary.
I know that there are many North American friends in this wonderful forum and I can tell them on behalf of many Spaniards that not all are as the poor man that directs our nation now and we consider the North Americans as friends and that we don't agree with the foolishness that make our current leaders.

soarprod
12-20-2004, 12:58 AM
Hi Pablo, I want you to do La Tomatina - the tomato festival in Buñol. Just think of the potential saucing to the DVX! ;D What about a doc on the crazy/unique traditional festivals of spain? Bull running, La Tomatina, etc. The people involved, history, whats involved, how it has changed Espania, etc. What the future holds, why it is a proud tradition, how it creates a identity for the country.

mms://asf.narrowstep.tv/roo/137/Travel_Tomatina03_100.wmv

The name “Tomatina” comes from a unique festival to celebrate the tomato harvest in Buñol, Spain. On the last Wednesday of August, at the peak of tomato season, the village of Buñol, Spain stages a “tomato war.” For two hours, the otherwise sober citizens happily pelt each other with ripe, red tomatoes and the streets turn into rivers of tomato juice. After much laughter, spirited mischief and camaraderie, friends and neighbors gather in the town square for the food and wine festivities.

All I ask is that you send me a copy of the finished project.
philiph@chsv.net Residual checks are also nice! 8)

Josh_Boelter
12-29-2004, 09:45 AM
I love Spain! Personally, I'd watch almost any documentary that would give me more insight into any aspect of the Spanish culture. I haven't seen that much of Spain, mostly just Barcelona, Montserrat and a few other parts of Catalonia, which I guess is quite different from other parts of Spain. So something along those lines would be fascinating to me -- the differences in the culture in the different regions of the country.

Personally, I think the bullfighting culture has been covered to death. From Hemingway’s “The Sun Also Rises” to today, it’s the first thing people (in America, anyway) are exposed to when they think of Spain. So I think it would be more interesting to see a documentary about something more personal to Spain that maybe isn’t that familiar to those of us in the U.S. Personally, I don’t think Antoni Gaudí is nearly as well known here as he should be (but then, I’ve seen many of his works firsthand so I may be biased).

I’m also sending you a private message, Pablo. See the link at the top of the page.

Best of luck.

josh

Peabody
01-06-2005, 06:12 AM
Pablo,

Would like to heard some adecdotes about the old Franco days.
My brother lived there for a few years in the late 60s. Much different then.
NOt to make the whole thing a retrospective.
Would be interesting to have a look back at how Spain was in those days under a dictator,---and how that has made Spain what it is today.
Good fortune!