PDA

View Full Version : shoot locations in Vegas and Hollywood

JJ_Shantell
12-26-2004, 12:45 AM
Shoot spokesperson speaking in Vegas and Hollywood without permit?

Any tips on locations for gurilla style shoots? We want to drive into town get as many "cool" or "creative" shots as we can but cant afford permits or to pay for locations..

have full size van outfitted to be able to pull up, open doors, shoot and leave.

Barry_Green
12-26-2004, 03:18 PM
What are you shooting on? A film camera will attract attention but a DVX wouldn't.

In Vegas you can shoot pretty much anywhere on the street as long as you don't use a tripod. Bring out a tripod, and the cops will ask what you're doing. Look suspicious, and they'll shut you down and question you -- Vegas has been mentioned a few times as a potential terrorist target, so people are watchful here. But just bring out a handheld DVX and shoot locations like a tourist and nobody'll say a word. As long as you're not blocking foot traffic you can sometimes get away with a tripod; for the DVX DVD I shot for probably half an hour in front of the NY-NY hotel on a tripod, changing camera settings between each shot to deliver different looks, and nobody even raised an eyebrow.

Take a camera inside the airport and they'll be all over you. Anyplace that could be interpreted as a terrorist target will get you stopped, so don't try taking guerilla-style footage of the Hoover Dam or the airport. If you need those shots, ask permission -- the state film office is great, permits are free, and you usually only need to have a commercial liability insurance policy in place. If you have a small crew (4 or less) they'll waive all sorts of requirements so it becomes even easier.

JJ_Shantell
12-26-2004, 06:48 PM
Wow Barry, I forgot you are in that area. Thanks for the tips. Its good to know the permit is free for Vegas.

Speezy
12-26-2004, 07:29 PM
What about getting the outsides of the hotels in the shot? I mean, I see them in TV shows and stuff all the time. Is there a release needed if you happen to get say, the Circus Circus in a shot?

Speezy
01-28-2005, 05:08 PM
By the way, does anyone have b-roll of vegas? I need shots of the popular 'welcome to las vegas' sign and some desert shots.

Speezy
01-30-2005, 08:04 PM
Got any b-roll for sale Barry? Good book by the way. Just got my copy the other day.