PDA

View Full Version : Wedding show feedback

yellowdog
01-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Hey guys and gals,
just thought I would pass along some info I received at my first wedding show as a vendor.My shooting/editing experience is as a news videographer for the last 8 years in a top 15 market.I am getting burned out bigtime in news, so I decided to start my own business.TV stations tend to be incredibly tight when doling out raises,unless you have blonde hair and :o....well nevermind. so I am taking matters into my own hands with my own gear, and with any luck, will be able to do this fulltime very soon. Like many who come here to this forum, I was confused about which camera to buy, so luckily I found this site. I had purchased Pinnacle liquid edition 5.5 before I found this site,and a friend let me borrow his sony pd 170 to shoot with for a few events,. I shot one friends wedding and used it as a demo in my show.My friend also shot my wedding which I cut myself with my software at home, and used it as a second demo.Again, shot on a pd170.I was one of 5 videographer vendors at the show. Over a thousand brides came through, and I managed to give out over 200 flyers about myself.Pretty solid I would say, over 20%. The reason? Everyone was impressed that my demos did not have cheesy effects and the picture looked incredibly sharp.Which to them looked phenominal.Just simple dissolves, and turning a few parts in a first dance video black and white.All I did was buy a 20 inch flatscreen with a built in dvd player from Walmart of all places for 180 bucks, nice picture actually, and had a dell laptop on the other side playing another demo.Everyone else brought along there cameras, saw an xl2 a couple of dvx100s, even a plasma.The lady in charge of the show said," dont worry, no one will care about all that crap, your video looks way better than the others". Which turned out to be true, at least from my perspective.Now I also have had the pleasure of shooting a concert at the House of Blues recently, on a panasonic dvx100a. This camera blew me away. Which is another reason why I am dumping liquid edition and went with Vegas 5 with dvd architect.Already went through 2 volumes of Vasst Training with Douglass Spotted Eagle (great tutorial by the way, with me coming from an Avid background) and it looks so much better to me than Liquid Edition.But I guess the whole point of this story, and sorry it's a bit long, but I keep hearing guys fretting over which camera to buy.Should I go Hd?Should I shoot native 16:9 ? Honestly,no one asked me one thing about that stuff.Not one person.All they cared about was that the final product looked professionally done,that "shakes the clown" didnt shoot it and it was on dvd.Plus the fact I am truly a professional videographer/editor and can back it up.They seemed more impressed with the dvd sample I had on the table with a picture printed on the disc.I love my Epson R300! All in all, doesnt matter what you shoot on if you cant shoot worth a damn! And no NLE can save you with bad footage.People will see right through those cheesy effects! Take care.

Peabody
01-20-2005, 06:43 AM
Sounds like you're off and running.
Good luck!

yellowdog
01-20-2005, 11:02 AM
thank you very much.

BradFu
01-21-2005, 04:06 PM
I'm thinking of venturing into the wedding world myself, and I agree, people respond to something tasteful, not some weird star-wipe out of a flower or other overly simple effects. I already own a DVX100 and finally got 5 weddings under my belt, and the only effects I did were either dissolves to black, time lapse shots, or a few slo-mo's here and there.

Maybe this post should be moved to 'business', but I'll keep typing.

What do you charge, Yellowdog? I tout myself as a professional, because I shoot news in the San Francisco bay area by day with a betacam, but when it comes down to it, I'm still not sure what to charge people for weddings. A friend-of-a-friend that shoots commercials in LA said, "Industry standard is $800 a day for you, and $800 for your equipment." I don't think that reflects edit time though.

yellowdog
01-23-2005, 08:24 AM
tough one to answer about pricing. I have seen around here in Ohio from $1,000.00 for just a raw tape right out of the camera (outrageous!) to over $4,000.00 for a full blown production. My starting package is $1,495.00 for ceremony and reception and it will be edited. I dont believe in handing someone a raw tape, I couldnt do that to someone.A few guys make it sound like a dissolve is such excrutiating work that they charge for "effects". I charge based on the fact that I am a professional videographer,and my time. The different price packages are based on how many locations you want covered, whether or not you want some kind of piece with sit down interviews.I am not going to charge someone for an "effect" like a dissolve, come on now.It's just pushing a button.Yeah I guess you could figure in edit time as well for your fee.maybe a flat rate if you agree how long a video will be with a client. Not sure what the going rate is in your part of the country.The best thing to do is check out your competition.And be competitive with your packages.But I find a lot of people respond better if you put your prices right up front, dont put in "call for prices" on your sheet.That way, they'll know right away if they can afford you or not, and not waste your time.Hope that helps you somewhat.Take care.

BradFu
01-24-2005, 09:59 AM
I just lined up a wedding, and told the guy 1600.00 as the base, with options to add more bells and whistles if he likes. He called back last night and said, "Well, my sister got hers done for 900.00, so I was thinking around there." I told him I could wiggle a bit, but I don't know if it's worth my time, and the wear-and-tear on my camera heads for that much. Competitively speaking, it seems that the industry standard around here is about 1200.00, give or take a few hundred. I'll probably end up doing it. Thanks for your feedback.

yellowdog
01-24-2005, 12:44 PM
hope it helped you somewhat.good luck

ChuckS
01-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Is this thread done or are any of you still looking for some advice/feedback regarding wedding videography?

If your still interested I have some insights but I don't want to get into it for the sake of typing.

BradFu
01-28-2005, 10:56 AM
I'll bite.

Whaddya got?

bilgami
02-03-2005, 04:27 PM
i do weddings in the dfw area but i find it hard to drum up biz, i only charge 800 and people still think thats to high a price.