PDA

View Full Version : Current DVX Docs in Production

Anthony_Gilmore
12-10-2004, 01:47 AM
Well, I've been shooting a doc in Korea with the DVX for a few months now. I'm curious what other stories are in production with the DVX. It would be nice to see what other DVX Users are shooting and what stories are being told with the camera :)

Best of luck with all your Documentaries!

sojrn
12-11-2004, 06:29 PM
We're in preproduction on a civil rights era documentary from the perspective of small town newspaper in the southern United States. *All interviews and re-creations will be shot on the DVX100A in 24P advanced mode. *:)

Erik Olson
12-13-2004, 07:51 AM
We wrapped principal photography on a 24 minute documentary detailing an overland trek to Central America with footage shot in Texas, Mexico, Belize and Guatemala. All acquisition was done with the 100a in 30p.

http://www.expeditionfilmpartners.com/video/ea04_teaser.wmv

This is a really terrible edit that I assembled to guide our real editor as he starts cutting in San Francisco. The music is placeholder stuff only as we're having original stuff recorded on the left coast concurrently.

I'm going to do some studio shot pick-ups, intros and bumps - otherwise we're close to cutting this thing for real. The 100a was really great except for a few condensation issues in Texas. Ahh, Brownsville in the summertime... I can't wait to never go back.

e

pixel
12-15-2004, 05:47 PM
I'm using the DVX100 at 30p on a film (Hidden in the Heartland) about polygamy in a remote town in the Southwest. We've been filming for a year, and the final 90 min. edit is almost done (FCP).

30p has been a real challenge because it requires manual focus and iris control. Since we're doing this with hidden cameras and chasing elusive footage (women & children on the streets), it's tough sometimes to get anything on film, let alone adjust exposure and focus. But the "look" is quite good.

I'm a newbie at filmmaking, and so are the few people I can get to risk their lives to help film the town. We all carry protection in case anyone attempts to eliminate us. As director, I do shot lists, and arrange interviews, but also have the responsibility of filming harassment by the polygamous cops and goons who tail us. God forbid I have to film one of the crew getting shot, but that's my job too.

Here's something interesting. I showed a short version of the film at a festival in Oct. (won "Best Doc Short") and a Hollywood-type guy there told me he wanted to help with the photography. I'd never heard of him, but Googled him when I got home. He's been DP or unit head for such films as LOTR, Star Wars, Aliens and many more. He jumped at the chance to come on the last shoot (last week), and his footage is SPECTACULAR. It was his first extended experience with the DVX, and he loved the camera. He took this film to a whole new level. I mean, like shots from Ben Hur and John Wayne films. He could do a hand-held tight zoom, tilt, zoom out, pan, with perfect focus, and from a moving vehicle. And his only complaint was that the camera was too light weight to get rock-steady hand-held shots.

alexdias
12-16-2004, 07:58 PM
We are shooting a doc in Oakland, CA for over a year now.
It's called "Runners High" and shows the story of teenagers from some of the roughest neighborhoods in Oakland, California, who transform themselves both physically and mentally by training to run the 26.2 miles of a marathon.
These are not your typical long-distance runners. They eat junk food and live in a community characterized as “a war zone." In addition, they come from families under stress from various challenges, including single parenting, domestic violence, unemployment, and uncertain immigration status.
All the capture it's been done using a DVX100 in 30p. Mostly because of panning and possible a lot of slow motion on post.

Please check the web site: www.runnershighfilm.com

Thanks,

Alex.

Jahchand
12-16-2004, 08:00 PM
I'm engaged in a documentary on homelessness and the housing crisis in the uk and am using the dvx100a to do most of the outdoor filming

Erik Olson
12-16-2004, 08:03 PM
Alex,

You're in my old neighborhood - are you working near High Street? I used to live just up the hill toward Piedmont. That's a really interesting area there, where $500k homes border urban blight and dispair. What is Jerry Brown doing for these kids - anything?

When I was there, he spent a good deal of his time trying to hire more cops and design bridges.

Ever work with Kelleth Chinn? Good luck on your film!

e

BLUESPIDER
12-23-2004, 02:23 AM
Our documentry were working on is about the sceret bombing in Laos during the Vietnam war. We have never before seen illustrations and interviews with suviors. This is all I can give you at the moment.

avr
12-23-2004, 01:19 PM
Now I am shooting a doc for the national heritage of Santiago de Compostela (Spain). I am shooting only for the night. A doc is a Santiago de Compostela´s new vision, its narrow streets, cathedral and colletction of historical monuments looks good on my DVX.

hinsonfilms
12-30-2004, 05:57 PM
Hello,

I'm in the middle of shooting my first documentary. Mo Mama, No Papa, No Uncle Sam, which is on the Bataan Death March and how American and Filipino POWs were treated during World War II. I'm lucky to have a Bataan Veterans Group help me out with correct historical info as well as pictures and interviews.

I'm shooting the Doc on a DVX100A and will be editing it in FCP using Magic Bullet as well. Due to my budget, I decided to take a simple approach to the film. I'm not going to get fancy with re-enactments, i decided to move the documentary along with Poems written by veterans as well as interviews with the elders that live in the villages along the Death March Route and of course interviews with the Veterans both Filipino and American. I will also be going to the sites and various spots on the Death March route.

I should be putting up a website soon, so I'll post that on here when it gets up and running.

Chris

clay-walk
12-31-2004, 09:37 AM
We are in production on a piece on musician Freddy Cole titled "The Cole Nobody Knows." Freddy is a grammy nominated vocalist and the younger brother of Nat King Cole. The film has been shot in 24P letterboxed...

http://www.planbproductions.com/Freddy_Cole.html

clay-walk
12-31-2004, 09:39 AM
Now I am shooting a doc for the national heritage of Santiago de Compostela (Spain). I am shooting only for the night. A doc is a Santiago de Compostela´s new vision, its narrow streets, cathedral and colletction of historical monuments looks good on my DVX.
I would love to see your documentary when you are finished. My sister lives in in La Coruña and we have traveled to to Santiago several times... Do you have a website for your piece?

Anthony_Gilmore
01-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Can you guys post some demo reels or clips from your docs? I'm really interested in whats being done and the treatment you've all done on your docs.

Bests

i_stole_your_bike
01-10-2005, 10:36 AM
I'm working on an indie documentary about why people move to other cities/countries, from running away from something and wanting to start over or simply to pursue a goal. I'm not sure how the thing is going to be edited until I have an idea of what the interviews are going to be like.

jumar
01-10-2005, 08:08 PM
I'm currently editing a doc about the current 18 year conflict in Northern Uganda that was shot on 2 DVX-100A's in mixed situations (from lit interviews to low light nighttime shots). It's about 80 hours of footage so far, so is a great way to see where the DVX excels and suffers.

XCheck
01-11-2005, 08:45 AM
I am somewhere between principal photography and postproduction on a personal documentary tracking back family history during the political purges in 50s in Czechoslovakia. I know I have the stuff I was looking for, but also think I will go back for more location shots and interviews to give it more breadth. So far I have about fifteen hours of footage. Intended length around 45 minutes. I've been working on a trailer on weekends, hopefully one will be up soon.

Michael_Bott
01-12-2005, 01:52 AM
I'm between principle shoot and post on a documentary about the Rennes-le-Chateau mystery - if you don't know what that is have a look here - www.renneslechateau.co.uk. It's really the source for Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code and although I have already produced one film on the subject (pre DVX, I'm afraid) and have been involved with another DVD called 'Da Vinci Code Decoded', I'm making an in-depth programme for the new audience that the book has brought. Working title is: 'Secrets, Codes & Wonders'.

I have great footage now from the South of France and a little island in the Baltic Sea called Bornholm. Output will be DVD and I have shot 16:9 25p (f6) all through. I'm largely a one man band and having the DvRigPro has been a great help.

So, much work to do - I'm aiming for an April release so I need to get my finger out. Wish me luck.

However, my hat is off to all out there being creative, brave and making a difference with your DVXs!

Michael

pixel
01-12-2005, 03:25 PM
having the DvRigPro has been a great help.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is that?

hinsonfilms
01-12-2005, 06:27 PM
I've never used a DvRigPro, but looks interesting. Here's the link.

http://www.evsonline.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?screen=prod&product_code=dvt1000

Michael_Bott
01-13-2005, 12:51 AM
Hi Pixel

best have a look here http://www.dvtec.tv/_wsn/page2.html - the dvrig homepage. It is a serious professional tool - the effect is best described as something between a steadicam and handheld. There is a 'float' to the way it supports the camera, but the main benefit is that you can wear this all day without fatigue.

OK, that's enough off topic ...

Michael

Michael_Bott
02-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Sorry to see this thread dropping down ... any chance of a revival? Promise not to dicuss the DvRig anymore ::)

So who's doing what out there?

hinsonfilms
02-07-2005, 07:02 PM
I'm going to the Philippines in April to film my WWII Documentary. Should be really interesting, I'm going with a WWII Veterans group. I've been contacted by a lady from Japan saying some Japanese Veterans who walked with the POWs on the Death March want to do an interview. I'm thinking about it, but I don't know if it's worth spending the money to listen to thier lies. I should be putting up a website soon, just tyring to save money to buy a wireless mic for the trip. I will post more before I leave and maybe while i'm in the Philippines.