PDA

View Full Version : Concert Videos

srscpa
02-15-2005, 05:01 PM
I apologize if this topic is in the wrong section! I have a small side business doing audio recordings of local high school band/choir/orchestra concerts. I've gotten so many requests for dvd's, that I decided to gear up to do basic video of the concerts I record. Plus, I've been looking for an excuse to record in surround. I have one dvx100, and am wondering if there's any point in trying to shoot one of these concerts with only one camera, without it being completely boring. I'm hoping to get another dvx100 soon, but until then... any suggestions?

galt
02-16-2005, 04:50 AM
Hire cameraman with camera?
Rent camera and set on tripod, so second cam can roam?
Borrow cam and.....
SHoot two performances and merge together?

Watch out for copyright issues...

srscpa
02-16-2005, 06:54 AM
Galt - Thanks for the suggestions. One fixed camera, and one roaming camera is where I'm heading. I'm looking for creative ideas regarding making the final product significantly better than what the dad in the back of the auditorium shot with his hi-8. For example, would it make any sense to cut-away occasionally to something other than the performance? If so, what would you cut-away to that would enhance the final product?

galt
02-16-2005, 08:51 AM
Well, cutaways of the audience are easy, since you can paste them in almost anywhere. Young children and teachers probably most popular.

If you really want to do a video, how about something extra? Interview with the conductor/music director about the night's program? Soloists getting ready to perform? Or maybe practicing/warming up? The after-performance celebration? If band is small, a "football-type" intro of each player (with lower 1/3 stats) might be fun. Or even 1 minute interviews. The stuff the audience doesn't usually see will be the most interesting, instead of just watching the band perform music. And you can shoot much of it at a time other than performance night. Some could be cutaways or just bonus footage.

There is lots more, but that should get you started. Have fun.

srscpa
02-16-2005, 09:58 AM
Galt - Thanks again for your suggestions. This is exactly what I was looking for!