PDA

View Full Version : My DVX100a survived Bangladesh!!!

Nihil_Baxter
02-14-2005, 01:33 AM
Ive just come back from 4 1/2 weeks of shooting in Bangladesh. My advice to all who are reluctant to take ther DVX to a third world country for fear of its safe return (or their own ;)) is to breathe deeply and take the risk. For me it was certainly worth it.

I shot a portrait of a rickshaw art painter in the capital of Dhaka, eid-ul-azha mass sacrifice of cows in the streets of Old Dhaka (what a bloody mess) and a shipbreaking yard near Chittagong. The most difficult thing at first was pulling out the camera in the middle of a street with all these dozens of hyper-curious people forming a gazing croud around me, sometimes spoiling my pictures.
Shooting at the shipbreaking yard proved to be exceptionally hazardous and challenging to my DVX. Very bright sunlight, strong wind, small salt particles, smoke, dust, dirt, sparks, vibrating surfaces (huge steel plates), and most of all getting permission to be there in the first place (bring some money!).

All in all, the camera took quite a beating, but survived undamaged. So, my DVX has passed its first trial ;D

BradFu
02-15-2005, 01:42 PM
Outstanding!

Did you ever let the camera out of your sight?

Any frame grabs to share?

Nihil_Baxter
02-16-2005, 01:11 AM
BradFu,

sure, sometimes I left my DVX in my hotel (definitely the safest place to be). But there have been a few frightening moments, thats for sure.

Ive added a few grabs to the grabs section (see Bangladesh grabs).

sporkme
02-20-2005, 09:13 PM
Very bright sunlight, strong wind, small salt particles, smoke, dust, dirt, sparks...

I'm going to be in an area this week where there's going to be a ton of fine sawdust. I think a cover is going to be pretty worthless; the stuff works it's way into things pretty good. I've already done some shooting around this stuff and all has been well. My only real concern is the one opening in the camera - the tape compartment. I'm thinking of throwing some gaffers tape around the seal just to be sure.

My question though is, after I'm done with this is it best to take the camera to a service center to have the tape mechanism blown-out and cleaned? Have you thought about doing the same?

SantaCruzMichael
04-06-2005, 02:50 PM
Good to hear!
I am off to Kathmandu next week. Starting to feel anxious about protecting my gear.
Wish me luck.

-Michael

shayanjameel08
11-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Good..!I have also purchased wide angle adapter for the DVX100/A , and this is ideal when full zoom isn't needed. It offers a 40% wider angle of view and allows partial zoom capability.