PDA

View Full Version : release forms

sporkme
02-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Howdy,

This week I'm going from shooting a few people that have no issues with being shot (in fact, they helped come up with the idea) to a large group of people in a public location outdoors.

From what I vaguely remember in my past life as a film student, big groups in public are fair game, correct?

But with individuals that consent to an interview verbally, what else do I need? Is paper required or is them staring at the camera and hitting the highlights of a form enough? Personally, I would assume so as to me someone looking at the camera and saying "do what you will" is easier to prove than a signature on a piece of paper, but I'm no lawyer.

I might add this is an event where the people I want to talk to also want publicity from me.

galt
02-22-2005, 05:19 AM
Recorded release is probably okay, signed release better, both keeps you really covered. Don't forget a clipboard and about 6 pens.

J_Barnes
02-22-2005, 05:27 AM
And indeed, recording a person signing a release is best.

sporkme
02-22-2005, 10:04 AM
And indeed, recording a person signing a release is best.

I like that. :)

Any suggestions on good boilerplate forms?

J_Barnes
02-22-2005, 10:15 AM
I've asked that question a couple of times to legally minded folks, and everytime I get the same general answer. Sure, some boilerplate forms might cover you just fine, but for real security...have a lawyer draw up forms that are tailored to your shooting locale and follow the specific state and local laws and contract regulations.

THat being said, there might be a good simple boilerplate form available online. I've made a few in the past that were cut and pasted from examples in filmmaking books. I can't attest to the ultimate legality in a court of law, but they did the job at the time.

This would be a good "creative commons" type project. If a few community-minded entertainment lawyers could draw up a number of boilerplate forms that simplify the release process, it would help numerous video artists all over the country.