PDA

View Full Version : How to get green screen into TVs?

mikezip007
02-21-2010, 06:44 PM
I do some work that involved shooting at TV monitors (LCD or Plasma) who have images placed in them in post. A common solution has been gaff in the corners of the screen to use as tracking points or, at times, cutting green paper out to fill the screen and then have it keyed out later.

In an idea world I see a device that generates nothing but a green screen. It would be a big as a computer thumb drive, run off a battery, have a HDMI, s-video, or composite RCA, to plug right into the TV.

Does this exist?

Another solution would be to have a DVD with an hour of Green burned to it and it could be played through the TV.

Tim Joy
02-21-2010, 07:14 PM
I've thought of that too, but you would have to sync the camera's shutter to the scanning of the tv.

And it would spill green light on anything close by.

I think if you're going to have the TV on, you might as well put the picture on it live, rather than in post.

Amr Rahmy
02-21-2010, 08:21 PM
I think if you're going to have the TV on, you might as well put the picture on it live, rather than in post.

some people won't compute that, it would be funny if someone replied with "so, were would the green screen be in the shot".

Richard Allen Crook
02-28-2010, 06:39 AM
I would play a loop of "blue" on the screen, not green. The blue light is great for chroma and natural for a TV to spill out onto the rest of the set. Yeah, the shutter would have to jive with the scanning of the screen, but any pro cam can adjust for that.

DadinWestchester
02-28-2010, 01:25 PM
This will run a color screen that can be keyed out.
http://www.markertek.com/Tools-Test-Equipment/HD-Test-Pattern-Generators/HDTV-CALIBUG.xhtml?CBUG-HDTV

Joe Calabrese
03-02-2010, 01:51 PM
I would put little red markers on each corner of the screen, then use those as trackers in Motion of After Effects for the 4 corners of the image you want there. Use a brightness filter to make it look more natural in the scene.

That's what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwezKN_hFF4

cranston
03-24-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm with Tim Joy. That's the easiest way to go to get the light from the tv correct.

I've also tried Texas Jones' idea in a pinch, though, Just make a DVD that has an hour of blue screen, hook it up to the tv and let it run while you shoot. That can work, just make sure you're not getting blue light on your subjects.

Cranky
03-24-2010, 10:17 AM
I've read about using a TV panel for greenscreen, so I don't see why one cannot display green on a TV to greenscreen TV content.

I have a 50-inch TV, but haven't tried using it as greenscreen myself. Feeding it with a green frame from my media player would be really-really easy.