PDA

View Full Version : "LAST JUMP" A Film By Patrick Beck

Dauntless
02-21-2010, 03:31 AM
http://web.mac.com/psbeck/www.psbeck.com/Blank_files/LastJumpPoster3.jpg
TAGLINE:
Space is not always silent.

SYNOPSIS:
Crew of the UMC Azimuth answers a distress beacon from a dying planet.

CAST:
David Pittman as James
Salvatore Forte as Eli
Meredith Mahaffee as Allison

Sound by:
Jaime Venago

Music:
Tony Porter

Boom and Set Design by:
Allen Wu

Edited by:
Allen Wu, Jaime Venago, Patrick Beck

Poster by:
Patrick Beck

Written and Directed by:
Patrick Beck

Special Thanks to DVXuser!... I love this site, really appreciate you putting this together and giving us a chance to have fun making films:)!!!.

Dauntless
02-21-2010, 03:32 AM
Reserved BTS footage

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=15892&stc=1&d=1267151004
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=15893&stc=1&d=1267151004
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=15894&stc=1&d=1267151004

Dauntless
02-21-2010, 03:33 AM
Stills

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=15895&stc=1&d=1267151780
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=15896&stc=1&d=1267151780http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=15927&stc=1&d=1267236265
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=15928&stc=1&d=1267236265
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=15929&stc=1&d=1267236265

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=15897&stc=1&d=1267151780

Dauntless
02-21-2010, 03:48 AM
Reserved

ZazaCast
02-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Welcome to the fest! Sounds like a good one...looking forward to it.

Chris_Keaton
02-21-2010, 10:14 AM
HOLY SHIT Batman! A serious Sci-Fi welcome to the club. I can't wait to see what you did.

Oh, and the logline has me intrigued.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-21-2010, 03:41 PM
This looks super cool! The poster is really sweet.
Any grabs yet?

The tagline and synopsis are very much like ALIEN.

TAGLINE:
In space no one can hear you scream.

SYNOPSIS:
A mining ship, investigating a suspected SOS, lands on a distant planet.

Looks cool though. Good luck with it.

MAH

Dauntless
02-21-2010, 03:54 PM
hehe, Yeah now that you mention it.... It does sound like Aliens.... That is one of my favorite movies but this is nothing like Aliens... Unless I captured some strange animal in the background that I'm unaware of :)....Thanks everyone... been so busy trying to get the special effects done I haven't had time to post anything yet. As soon I finish the final edit I'll start posting some stuff. Thanks for the compliments!

dre83
02-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Music by Justin.. that must become a good film ;-)

Looking forward to it... space movies are very great for sound too. There's no limitation in fact

Scott F
02-21-2010, 05:45 PM
HOLY shi* Batman! A serious Sci-Fi welcome to the club. I can't wait to see what you did.

I swear, my next fest film has to take place in outer space. You guys have got me stoked!

Rodney V. Smith
02-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Welcome dude.

namelok
02-24-2010, 07:30 AM
great, i'm watching all scifi movies first :)

Marlon Ladd
02-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Another space movie? I love it. You guys really show the world that we indies can do anything we set our mind to. Nice poster. Diggin' the title face.

Dauntless
02-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks guys, Yeah I love all types of futuristic tech elements... I'm definitely a geek when it comes to Sci-Fi hehe :)

just2me
02-26-2010, 12:15 PM
did you find a composer yet? looking forward to seeing your film! :D

Dauntless
03-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Yes, thanks... I had a friend help me out, really thankful he could help me out.. His name is Tony Porter.

Mike@AF
03-05-2010, 12:09 AM
I like how you went with alternative direction on the poster (turned sideways to normal for one-sheets). Looks cool. Can't wait to watch your film.

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 06:40 PM
VFX were great. I enjoyed the film. The acting of the Betrayer was little stiff, but it did not take me out of it, other than that, I really enjoyed the film. Great job!

RodThompson
03-06-2010, 08:25 PM
First reaction is: AWESOME USE OF SPECIAL EFFECTS, but the execution could have been a little better.

I think that on the whole, the story and effects were spot on (maybe a little heavy on lens flares), but the performances and some of the shots brought it down a notch.

Homunculus
03-06-2010, 09:25 PM
special effects were very good in most places. acting in main actor needed a little work as did the music. all in all a good solid effort.

Dauntless
03-07-2010, 06:48 AM
VFX were great. I enjoyed the film. The acting of the Betrayer was little stiff, but it did not take me out of it, other than that, I really enjoyed the film. Great job!

Thanks Richard!... Yeah the actors are just my friends helping me out:)

RodThompson:"I think that on the whole, the story and effects were spot on (maybe a little heavy on lens flares)" : hehe, I bought this lens flare package for After Effects and I was in heaven. I almost was going to make a movie called Lens Flare! ..I get carried away:)

Homunculus: "special effects were very good in most places. acting in main actor needed a little work as did the music. all in all a good solid effort." -thanks, I just try to keep getting a little better with special effects each time... It's a learning process.

MrSeth
03-07-2010, 11:06 AM
My critique for Last Jump
The story:
A really good example of betrayal. The ending was a nice touch by showing them with a kid (assuming they were married)

The acting:
Acting may need some work. I thought the lead actor did poor in the beginning but he picked it up when he fell on the ground. I felt bad for him when he was betrayed

The camerawork:
Camera work was pretty good. Colors were very nice and fit the theme and story.

The editing:
Editing was unnoticeable (in other words... it was perfect)

The sound and music:
Sound design and music was great.. fit the story well

Overall impression:
Really good.. Sucks what happened to him but it's cool he got a chance to tell her 7 years later. Good job!

My favorite shot:
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4635/screenshot20100307at120.png

vnguyen972
03-07-2010, 11:24 AM
I wanted to enjoy this one... the acting from all actors were a bit stiff and not natural enough for me... mayb I need to rewatch but I'm not sure why his friend left him behind... just to get that piece of equipment? And get his woman? When I watched it on my home theater system... the sound were a bit loud and I couldn't make out what they were saying.. mayb when I rewatch it.. I'll watch on my computer instead...
The fx on the other hand was awesome... there was some wow moments and great effort on creating them!!! The lens flare didn't bother me that much! Overall, it was a great little film!!! Good job!

Bigmagic
03-07-2010, 11:30 AM
I love the ending and even though the acting was a bit stiff I enjoyed the film. I assumed that he left him on the planet because he was in love with the girl himself. VFX were solid and well timed. I enjoyed it and I loved the ending. Nice Job!

pborghee
03-07-2010, 12:41 PM
The acting, well, needed some work! Other then that loved the effects and the story line. Great job with the simulated screen, i always love that. I could have followed the story a bit more if the actors would have tightened up a bit, other then that congrats on a well did film.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
03-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Story: The story was pretty interesting. I liked the reveal of the ending. Not sure why it took so long for her to get the message though?

Acting: This was so-so. Her reaction at the end was good. The rest seemed as if they were reading off the page.

Technical: Nice effects. They fit in pretty well overall. This was also shot pretty well too. Sound was hot though! Music seemed too loud as well.

Good job.

MAH

MrFluffy
03-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Wow, I loved the VFX. What apps did you use for the ship and planet?

Acting was pretty good and the story was solid. I know how hard the VFX can be and you did it really well.

Congratulations on a great film.

LinB
03-07-2010, 01:13 PM
I loved this. Visual effects were top notch, the camera-work too was excellent. Great work overall. This was definitely one of my favourite films of the fest.

Mike@AF
03-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Good film. Entertaining. I agree with previous comments on the acting. The VFX were great for the most part, except for when the betrayer gets back on the ship. I could see the vfx plates moving around. Not a big deal though. The rest is good. Nice work!

Chris_Keaton
03-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Love the time delayed message. I imagine though he was so far away that she would probably never get the message in her lifetime. That's my sci-fi geek comment. The special effects were great, the acting not so much. I wish he had a larger reason for killing this guy and setting this whole plot up beside jealousy. I imagine he would always be remembered by the guy that might have caused his death thus keeping him off the available suitor list. That was my human nature geek comment. Overall it was nice to see some science fiction.

Chris Messineo
03-07-2010, 05:40 PM
As others have mentioned, very cool special effects - an ambitious project.

I dug the dutch angle on the shot when they left him behind on the planet - it reminded me of "Platoon" - very cool.

I also really liked the twist ending of her finally receiving that message.

Well done.

Tunnelmen
03-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Agree with most of the other comments. The VFX is really cool. Its really over my head technically, so as just being a viewer, I thought you did a good job! The acting needs attention, but I would bet that you raise your game on the next project! I think that its cool to take a shot on sci fi....so congrats!

Dauntless
03-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Story: The story was pretty interesting. I liked the reveal of the ending. Not sure why it took so long for her to get the message though?

Acting: This was so-so. Her reaction at the end was good. The rest seemed as if they were reading off the page.

Technical: Nice effects. They fit in pretty well overall. This was also shot pretty well too. Sound was hot though! Music seemed too loud as well.

Good job.

MAH

Thanks MAH: The message took longer to reach her because it only travles at light speed, but when you jump you travel way faster then light speed... in this case 7 times faster... I agree with you on the music, I think I should have made it a little lower and bumped the sound effects up a notch.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
03-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks MAH: The message took longer to reach her because it only travles at light speed, but when you jump you travel way faster then light speed... in this case 7 times faster... I agree with you on the music, I think I should have made it a little lower and bumped the sound effects up a notch.
Yes, I thought about this after I posted and it made perfect sense. That makes the ending all the more impressive. Nice job.

Dauntless
03-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Wow, I loved the VFX. What apps did you use for the ship and planet?

Acting was pretty good and the story was solid. I know how hard the VFX can be and you did it really well.

Congratulations on a great film.

Thanks man, I saw your film in monsterfest and was admiring the special effects:)...I just used a free model from the net. I think it was called pirateship... I just took all the weapons off of it make it look more like a mining ship.. I think it was a 3DSmax file but I converted it to a maya.mb file or an .obj file. Man you know how long it takes for 3d stuff:)

Nemesis TS
03-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Nicely done. I agree with everyone about the acting. I see a lot of the flaws in this short, in mine as well. And, if folks don't like the couple lens flares you used, then they are really gonna be turned off by mine. I thought the space ship interior walls were pretty good. Would have liked to see more furniture it seemed a bit odd that there wasn't chairs or anything. The computer screens were great looking. Good Job man.

hoz
03-07-2010, 08:07 PM
good story and i really dug the scene in where the killer stands over his victim and calmly declares his act. in fact the more i think about it your film is plain old mean! leaving the poor guy behind to die like a half frozen turkey! merciless! you brought the betrayal, brother!

great shots of the ship in the beginning but so so shots of the ship's interior - that said you are ambitious!

John LaBonney
03-08-2010, 06:06 PM
The CGI of the ship was well done, I wasn't entirely convinced about the interiors but they sufficed and certainly weren't terrible. I liked the storyline, I think that the pacing kind of dragged on at the beginning, and I would have liked to see a clearer reaction shot of the betrayer at the end.

ChrisHurn
03-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Nice special effects. The intro shot was very effective, I love how the camera panned...this kind of stuff really draws the viewer into the film. The next shot, I wasn’t so sure about. I think you could really have done something to bring us right into the action here. Something a little more tense, focused. Once that screen popped up it was fine. That was a cool effect.

The story was pretty cool, the only thing that brought it down a notch was the acting. Not that it wasn’t good, because there were some good moments – but the good moments were in the wrong places, for me. I wasn’t sold 100%.
Sound was pretty good – dialogue was very listenable, clear, that was good. I thought there were some cool moments in the score, maybe could have been brought down a tiny bit during the dialogue to maximize the effect at 2mins. But otherwise the tone was appropriate for the film and seemed to work well for the most part.

Memorable Moment

For me it was the opening shot. Loved the sound, the “Please respond”, the slow plan...into the film...that was good work. Just want to note that one shot stuck out for me also at around 00:52 – nice!

Overall, pretty good film – I enjoyed watching it. Congratulations!

Charli
03-08-2010, 07:11 PM
The CGI was well done, but I'm afraid the storyline and the acting took what could have been a very interesting entry down a level. I did enjoy the CGI work
an effort that was put in on that part.

Ben Sliker
03-08-2010, 10:43 PM
The part I liked most about this was the message at the end, that he could still screw up the Eli's evil plan. I also enjoyed a lot of the CG work done in this, mainly because I find 3d programs mind-boggling to say the least. I would like to have seen some more of the monitors out of focus, depending on where they were in relation to the actors.

The acting was bit wooden and I feel like you were limited on some of the shots you could get based on the set that you built, like the whole 'should we go?' conversation had to happen in a 3-shot because a shot-reverse-shot would have revealed the end of the set. I applaud you cause this really looked like a big project to tackle. Oh, and the star trek style flares were neato.

4100xpb
03-08-2010, 11:47 PM
This is a nice little story. I must say I was surprised to see a second story set in space in betrayalfest. Nice to see people willing to tackle these ambitious shorts.

Story wise I think it was a solid base, but the writing could be improved. The bad guy’s speech to the main pilot was rather expository. And the message from him showing up at random seven years later comes across strangely. I didn't get it until I read the other posts on this thread. Also, I didn’t buy the attitudes/mannerisms of the crew working on a mining ship, although I think that was part acting as well.

I loved the CGI and visual effects. They were excellent all around. I liked the colouring of the alien planet. The betrayal was predictable, but well set up and well played out. Thanks for putting this up there.

Dauntless
03-09-2010, 05:01 AM
The part I liked most about this was the message at the end, that he could still screw up the Eli's evil plan. I also enjoyed a lot of the CG work done in this, mainly because I find 3d programs mind-boggling to say the least. I would like to have seen some more of the monitors out of focus, depending on where they were in relation to the actors.

The acting was bit wooden and I feel like you were limited on some of the shots you could get based on the set that you built, like the whole 'should we go?' conversation had to happen in a 3-shot because a shot-reverse-shot would have revealed the end of the set. I applaud you cause this really looked like a big project to tackle. Oh, and the star trek style flares were neato.

Yeah Ben, you are absolutely right... The ship was really smally.. like half the size of a small car.. I tried to manipulate it the best I could to make it seem larger than it was.. I should have done what you said and filmed that one scene where they were all together on a green screen.. makes sense now.. also good tip on the focus for the HUDs.. I'll keep that in mind for next time, thanks man:)

RodThompson
03-09-2010, 06:02 AM
I have wanted to do a film with HUDs since I learned how to do them...there goes that idea. LOL.

They DID look good.

Ben Sliker
03-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Yeah Ben, you are absolutely right... The ship was really smally.. like half the size of a small car.. I tried to manipulate it the best I could to make it seem larger than it was.. I should have done what you said and filmed that one scene where they were all together on a green screen.. makes sense now.. also good tip on the focus for the HUDs.. I'll keep that in mind for next time, thanks man:)

I completely understand, ROM was shot completely in one half of an office and a very small bathroom, we could really only pull it off with a variety of closeups. Our wide shots literally had about 2-3 inches of clearance on each side before the 'set' ended and it was just white wall!

dougspice
03-10-2010, 12:47 PM
There's some good filmmaking in here. Pretty decent CGI, some nice shots (the shot where the Captain is stunned on the ground and the other crewman is kneeling over him was terrific framing), and audio was pretty good... but the whole piece didn't come together for me. There just wasn't enough story to hold it all together, and whatever there was was marred by over-the-top performances. I just couldn't believe that any of these people were actual the crew of a ship.

The ship interior really took me out of it, too. I have NO problem with how small it was – in fact my problem was the opposite – the wall just went up forever, it felt like you were showing me a tiny corner of a large space. If they had all been hunched over in a tiny, claustrophobic, well-decorated space I would have had no problem believing that was a mining ship.

I also found the graphics distracting. They were too bright, too simple, too crisp. The compositing and tracking was good, and I like the thought, but every time one appeared it totally dominated my attention and all I could think was "Hey! Graphics!"

Anyway, solid effort – I think you just needed to spend more time developing the story.

Noel Evans
03-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Some stunning VFX mixed with some shot composition that left me feeling a bit cold. And whilst I doubt it was the intention, as they left the ship I found myself rooting for Eli.

You took on something big and I think you made a really good go of it.

abdeziel
03-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Wow - wow wow the hologram image from the PDA on the planet; I was taken aback by that and it was photorealistic and cool. I think I am overly critical of 'flat' or 'wooden' acting somtimes given that these are indie movies; so I'll tone it down some this time. Excellent; another that seemed very "Outer Limits" and I love stuff like that so it's bonus points for you there.

dougspice
03-11-2010, 12:26 AM
I forgot to mention that I did think the delayed transmission was a very nice touch.

Aaron Marshall
03-11-2010, 02:41 AM
Your CG work looked pretty good. I liked the ship taking off over Eli. That was nice. I also liked a lot of your skewed angles. The anamorphic flares could have been a different color. They sometimes didn't match the color correction on the bg layer. If you shot a scene using a real anamorphic adapter with light sources, and you color corrected, wouldn't it cc the flares too? Yes it would. So the flares in post need to match.

The jump from when they were on the planet to 7 years in the future was kind of funny to me. She had a kid with this guy? She's so naive and opportunistic. The woman clings onto the first guy sees? That made be not like her character much. She seemed weak minded and easily manipulated.

Overall you did a pretty good job.

Dauntless
03-11-2010, 05:30 AM
Your CG work looked pretty good. I liked the ship taking off over Eli. That was nice. I also liked a lot of your skewed angles. The anamorphic flares could have been a different color. They sometimes didn't match the color correction on the bg layer. If you shot a scene using a real anamorphic adapter with light sources, and you color corrected, wouldn't it cc the flares too? Yes it would. So the flares in post need to match.

The jump from when they were on the planet to 7 years in the future was kind of funny to me. She had a kid with this guy? She's so naive and opportunistic. The woman clings onto the first guy sees? That made be not like her character much. She seemed weak minded and easily manipulated.

Overall you did a pretty good job.

Thanks for the tip on the CC Lens flare color... I didn't even realize that.. but yeah you're right.. I color corrected first then threw on the lens flare on.. I should have done the reverse.. thanks man, I'll keep that in mind next time.

jasonthewho
03-11-2010, 08:55 AM
You attempted something huge here, and you got the story across, which is one of the hardest parts.

Some of the CG work was spectacular, you definitely have some skills.

Acting was rough, especially with James. It didn't seem like they always knew what they were saying and why. The dialogue was also a little flat, which didn't do them any favors.

I really wanted to be able to see Eli's face near the beginning, where he's behind them. We see him looking at Ali's hand on James, but we never see his reaction. Story wise, his reaction is really important.

Congrats on pulling this off. What a vision, and what a hard film to attempt for a DVXfest.

Zim
03-12-2010, 08:40 AM
I think this was pretty good and the special effects were nice.

dre83
03-13-2010, 06:41 PM
- the voice at the beginning could be louder.

- in general dialogues are good, but little to silent. Could be louder.
or the music little lower.

- visuals are very good.

- 5° celcius... couldn't it be a little hotter ? :-p

- there are some nice sound effects and sound design stuff... But I think
the music is "overtaking" it to much. Films doesn't have to be full of music.

- Maybe the landing could have little more sound design ? But if it's a choice it's ok.

- That looks like the forest a few streets away from were I live :-p

In general it looks very good. Well done.

Dauntless
03-14-2010, 08:01 AM
You attempted something huge here, and you got the story across, which is one of the hardest parts.

Some of the CG work was spectacular, you definitely have some skills.

Acting was rough, especially with James. It didn't seem like they always knew what they were saying and why. The dialogue was also a little flat, which didn't do them any favors.

I really wanted to be able to see Eli's face near the beginning, where he's behind them. We see him looking at Ali's hand on James, but we never see his reaction. Story wise, his reaction is really important.

Congrats on pulling this off. What a vision, and what a hard film to attempt for a DVXfest.

Yeah Jason, I tried to get that shot of Eli you mention... I had the 2 crew members in the foreground then I tried to focus off them onto Eli in the background with an evil stare.. to kinda let people know his intent but my garage/set was way to small.. I was catching everything in the garage.. bicycles, lawnmowers, weedwackers, hockey net:)

Hermn8r
03-16-2010, 01:01 AM
CG looked very good. Story was good, but some of the dialogue and performances came off a little flat to me. I was ok with the two being together in the end, but what threw me for a loop was the message she received 7 years later. Other than that, nice job!