PDA

View Full Version : Large project color correcting.

scharky
03-01-2004, 01:32 AM
I have been using after effects for a while now, but mainly for special effects and compositing. I have a project that I would like to color correct using after effects, since I like the photoshop color correcting tools better than those found in vegas. I am a little confused as to the process of doing this. After correcting all the footage, say I have about 30-45min, how do you export this. I have had lousy results with the dv codec in after effects, and it doesn't support 24p anyways. I have lots of HD space, but I still don't want to have a 60gig file laying around. What would be the best way of getting around this as a final step in the color correcting process. One more question, as I'm at it. DOes after effects support dv out, meaning can I use it through my camera to a tv for true color correction? Thanks for any input that you may have.

Johan
03-01-2004, 04:20 AM
If you have NVIDIA graphic card with TV out, you can output directly to monitor/TV without firewire.
For this purpose you will need a TVZEKA plug in ( www.cyberzeka.com)

PurposeDriven
03-01-2004, 07:58 AM
The monitor may help you a little judging the color correction process, but don't trust it unless it's callibrated. As far as the whole process goes, you wouldn't want to consider correcting the footage on an Avid? I am an AE user for life, but don't be afraid to look else-where for good tools.

scharky
03-01-2004, 08:30 AM
I would absolutely love to correct the footage with an avid, however, being a poor married college student I just don't have the resources to do that. That plug in does look rather cool, but before I go spending $30 just for something that adobe should have included with after effects I'll try my color correcting skills inside vegas. That plugin would be rad if it worked with all NLE's with a video overlay, it would save me a lot of cords and mess. I guess I could keep wishing for a full avid setup to be converted out of the current setup that I have. Maybe it will just appear in my computer room someday. Maybe, if I wish really really really hard. . . . :-/ Nope, no luck. Hey PurposeDriven, can I go over to your house? :)

kai
03-01-2004, 11:17 AM
if you are using AE 5.5+ and have firewire, you can preview your video directly out of the firewire, through your camera, and onto an ntsc monitor...

scharky
03-01-2004, 02:29 PM
actually, I am using AE 6.0 however, there doesn't seem to be fire wire support under windows. :( I don't get it, no other programs require that you have a matrox or canapus card for video out. What gives adobe? you made it work in premiere. Listen to me, I am ranting on about adobe as if they actually cared and listend to their customers. Sorry guys I'm still burned about the lack of support for premiere PRO. I switched to vegas and have never been happier.

kai
03-01-2004, 02:47 PM
ouch... i'm on Mac, I just assumed the same was in the Windoze version... sorry to hear that...

Johan
03-01-2004, 05:35 PM
Scharky, I feel the same, why don't adobe include that simple tv out plug in ( or whatever they called it ) is because they dont want their partners ( Canopus Matrox etc ) cannot sell the card.
Why buy/use these cards if simple Ppro can output to TV/montor ?
I too used to be a Canopus user, was very happy until P Pro hit the market
Now, I can do whatever I could with Canopus and more , without the card

PurposeDriven
03-01-2004, 06:51 PM
Easy there Johan. The Matrox card and canopus offer not only real time output to a monitor. But (as far as the matrox goes) also analog in/out. Real time effects, transitions, Preview in AE and Real time Mpeg2 encoding. So, to say adobe doesn't make something like that to make them money is rediculous. Two different games. Look into AE more, if firewire out is available on 5.5 then I'm pretty sure it's there on 6.0, mac or win.

Havok85H
03-01-2004, 07:46 PM
theres a better solution-- synthetic aperature's Echofire. It allows you to preview out from AE over firewire. Also, as for color correction, I vote for color finesse ALL THE WAY. Works as a plugin for both AE, Final cut and Premiere Pro

www.synthetic-ap.com

Johan
03-02-2004, 03:27 AM
PD: I have search in manual about firewire out in AE 6 could't find any.
It is indeed a dropdown box somewhere in the output preview command bar, but it is grayed, not functioning :(

What I meant about TV out plug in, is that it is a very simple plug in, because it is something like a routed DirectX display driver to TV out port. I am sure the engineers at adobe can build the plugin from scratch in just an hour

Yes, it is true that if you have the card, you can do more, even you get nice transitions, 3d fx ,analog input etc, but do we use them every day?
Previously, with AP 6.5 those cards was really a big productivity booster, but since the introduction of PPro , the line between "realtime" and "card boosted realtime" is non existence anymore,
Allright, if you have extra money to spend then those cards are nice to have :)
--- I would choose an anamorphic adapter over a nle card for the same price,though ---

PurposeDriven
03-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Or both ;D

Johan
03-02-2004, 06:30 PM
Absolutly :)