PDA

View Full Version : 24p and after effects

Dan_Lahav
02-15-2004, 10:23 PM
Is it possible to import my 24pa footage and render out to DVD like normal with after effects?

Sol M.
02-16-2004, 07:11 AM
You can import your 24pa footage and work with it in AE (as of v6.0). As far as rendering out to DVD, if you mean can you render the composition as a mpeg2 file, you should be able to as long as you've got the proper codec on your system. Just select the codec and render.

kai
02-16-2004, 07:53 AM
...granted then with that file you'd have to author the dvd and burn it using dvd software... AE won't handle that part of the workflow.

PurposeDriven
02-16-2004, 03:35 PM
To clarify for myself. In Premiere Pro, if i shot using 24pa and I captured it into PPro, the image would look off, correct? So i then take the footage, and convert it in AE as 24p and then bring it back in PPro and away I go?

Sol M.
02-16-2004, 04:42 PM
Yes, you could render out the 24pa footage as 24p footage for edit in any 24p-able NLE. However, I do not know if the DV codec AE will use (most likely the microsoft DV codec on the windows side) does any sort of re-encoding for this sort of operation. Wouldn't be a huge hit to the footage quality even if it did tho.

However, you might want to look into software like DVfilm Maker to convert 24pa footage to 24p if you're going to do it on a regular basis.

kai
02-17-2004, 08:42 AM
For the dv codec, I picked up a tip somewhere... install the demo version of Avid Free DV... (http://www.avid.com/freedv/index.asp)

That will install the Avid DV Codec on your machine. Then, you can use that codec in your NLE of choice (doesn't have to be Avid). It seems to be a better codec in my experience than the standard Mac/Windoze DV....

PurposeDriven
02-17-2004, 09:44 AM
I'm have the matrox rtx.100 hardware setup for my PPro sys and If I bring in video with certain codecs, I may have to render. I'll test it though, could work. If that doesnt work then should I just go with another application like DVfilm Maker and capture the footage with my Matrox codec??

Neil Rowe
02-17-2004, 09:53 AM
..capture with the matrox codec, and use dvfilmmaker. i have the same setup, and rendering in AE is no fun. dvfilmmaker doesnt do any recompression. but what is stupid is that it outputs as a quicktime, without an option for an avi at 24p. at least in AE you can choose. oh well *the quicktime works fine anyway. *then when you export from ppro, you can choose your codec on the output render, and *use dvfilmaker to do the telecine to ntsc if you need to again without recomression.

..sides dvfilmmaker removes the 2 frame audio lag so you dont have to deal with that either...(if it bothers you in the first place)

PurposeDriven
02-17-2004, 02:17 PM
sweet, thanks for that... LOSER!!! ;D

scharky
02-18-2004, 10:15 PM
Iamloser

The reason that dvfilmmaker uses the quicktime codec is because the dvavi codec does not support 24 or 23.976 fps, only 29.976. Therefore, in order for it still to be in the same (dv) codec dvfilmmaker converts it into the 24p enabled quicktime.

Taylor Moore
02-19-2004, 08:50 AM
Kai,
Thanks for the free avid link, I really needed to codec to view some footage.

Neil Rowe
03-06-2004, 08:48 AM
thanks scharky:).. i already knew why it was like that though, my issue is that they should , and ealily could make an option to just output as a reg avi at 24p which doesnt use a dv codec. (like you can do with AE). the quality of the output would entirely depend on their codec choice, but would be essentially lossless if they used the same non-recompression method.

scharky
03-06-2004, 09:10 AM
That would definatley be nice, however, I'm pretty sure you can only have a lossless non recompression when using the same codec ie. AVI-DVNTSC to Quicktime-DVNTSC. That is the reason you can't really use After effects to convert your footage, because it is extremely lossy, and for some reason when converting from an avi-dvntsc to quicktime-dvntsc it looks horrible. Half the resolution seems to be missing. NOw you could convert to uncompressed AVI, but I don't know if you have tried to edit an uncompressed avi. Let's just say it's not fun and uses lots of hard drive space. Again, this is why I am using vegas right now to edit. I tried all this stuff, and said to myself, there has to be a better way. Iamloser, I hope your right about the premiere upgrade, I love premiere as it really has so much to offer. It just better be a free upgrade, or there will be some major uproars in the streets. There is much more than just 24p cadence suport that is needed in Ppro. How about a project trimmer guys!