PDA

View Full Version : combustion or ae

lurch
03-30-2004, 10:59 AM
im gonna be buying a new dual 2.0 G5 , and combustion or ae. could anyone give me the pros and cons of either one, which one has better color correction capabilites? which one works better with fcp ? which one is harder to learn? is combustion slower on a mac? any advice would be greatly appreciated

PurposeDriven
03-30-2004, 11:06 AM
AE would be my choice if I were you. AE is stable, will work with FCP fine as far as rendered footage goes. It has great tools for text, compositing, and color correction. It is far more stable than combustion is, and will do almost anything combustion can.

Combustion does have a better keying tool, and can composite just as well as AE, however, like I said, Combustion has given me problems with being unstable and crashing. It is also harder to learn and AE gives you a more of a Timeline Interface rather than Combustion which deals a lot more with mapping out your layers. I would go with AE, it's what I use mainly. Good product.

kai
03-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Same here. As discreet says, Combustion has the "artists interface", which just means it has a bigger learning curve. AE will do just about everything Combustion will... and it's easier / more stable

03-30-2004, 01:32 PM
Actually I prefere Combustion over AE, especially after the latest version. I guess the interface in Combustion suites me better. Both programs are powerful. Combustion seems a bit slower than AE though, at least on PCs. You can download demos of both programs so you should be able to taste the goodies. Combustion is cheaper though and has a free morphing plugin and particle system. With the latest version you can even do simple editing if needed.

PurposeDriven
03-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Hey BigAl, have you ever flown with the navigator?

03-30-2004, 01:58 PM
Yes, every day... I set up a 3d composition and fly fly fly awaaayyyy...

To add to the topic. Some says that combustion always fill up your screen, I must say that I have no problem with that. I use large monitors ;). Although, I don't like the way AEs timeline is set up. If one don't know all AEs shortcuts, the timeline is rather tedious to work with (as I'm also working in the graphical business and uses several other programs I don't have the brain to remember all shortcuts). I used to work on SGI machines and I guess it's therefore I prefere Combustions interface. If you are connected to a tv monitor, I also find combustion's colorcorrection tools to be better.

And now I'll do some flying...