PDA

View Full Version : Vibrato effect

03-24-2004, 08:24 AM
ok, i'm probably not going to explain this right, but here it goes--

i've seen an effect on tv spots/movies/MV's/etc. where a moving image stops on a still & then a wild vibrato effect occurs where the images shakes violently left to right & expands. I think they may have used it in The Matrix or some other action flick lately.

Anyhow, I've tried doing it with two layers of a still, keeping one locked in place & the other at a lowered opacity, then placing some position keyframes about 1/2 inch to the left and 1/2 inch to the right of the original's position, then adding the Wiggler and some motion blur. No luck; it looks pretty choppy & weak.

Does anyone know of a better way to do this? I'm going to experiment with an increasing amount of gaussian blur.

J.R. Hudson
03-24-2004, 09:17 AM
What NLE are you using?

kai
03-25-2004, 02:40 PM
If you're using "The Wiggler", i'm assuming you're trying this in AE?

03-30-2004, 07:10 AM
Sorry, I meant to post this in the After Effects forum...

I'm using Final Cut Pro for editing & AE for compositing.

RWM
04-02-2004, 11:25 AM
For this effect you can use Earthquake from the DiggiEffects AURORIX PlugIn: http://www.digieffects.com/frames/DEfx1/devfxmain.html

kai
04-02-2004, 02:09 PM
earthquake does a good job, or just keep experimenting with the wiggler and keyframing at different velocities until you find the look you're after.

04-03-2004, 10:19 AM
is he refering to the effect that was used in "fight club" whereas its shakes the frame just b4 the film burns and dissolves.

sorry bout referencing a film some of u probaly havent seen, but thats the only place i seen the effect used.

04-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Earthquake is exactly what I'm looking for!

Any tips on recreating this look easily with the Wiggler?