PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your Sound FX?

04-06-2004, 01:30 PM
hi all--

just wondering where you guys and gals score your sound effects for productions? I'm running the gambit of free/purchased stuff I can find from web downloads, but I'm still new to it. Any favorite sites?

Also, I'm trying to recreate the sound from the Ford truck commercial (among others) where the huge metal brand hits the screen with "BUILT FORD TOUGH". It seems to be a combo of a metal clink sound and loud bassy thud--any ideas where I could find something similar or find the elements to built it myself?

Dan_Lahav
04-06-2004, 01:38 PM
I use Hollywood Edge sound effects. They are some of the best you can get out there. Amazing sound quality and used by many professionals. Director Oliver Stone even uses them! They are pricey however...

http://www.hollywoodedge.com/

Barry_Green
04-06-2004, 02:17 PM
Sound Ideas is the motherlode of sound effects, their General 6000 library has bazillions of effects. Not free, but worth it. They have a demo CD they give away that has about 100 sound effects on it, for free.

I guess Sonic Foundry used to have a CD with 1,001 sound effects on it, but I've never seen it.

Sometimes you can score the "Janus Professional Sound Library" for cheap off ebay. I got it for something around $40 or so. It's a six-CD set with a lot of great sound effects, and a lot of useless ones, but for $40 it's hard to beat.

There are some online sources for buying sound effects per-use, I think sounddogs.com is one, also sound-ideas.com.

PurposeDriven
04-06-2004, 04:31 PM
Why is this in After Effects section of the forum?

kai
04-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Hey, I use sfx in After Effects all the time :)

As far as libraries, all the above mentioned are great. Especially Hollywood Edge. I usually buy mine from SoundDogs.com. They're pretty good.

However, I've found that the most fun you can possibly have is to record and create your own sfx. Just thinking of the most random noises and running around with a portadat and a mic is insanely fun. (ie bashing a head of lettuce with a bat makes great punch sounds, snapping celery sticks is great for breaking bones, etc)... One of the SFX guys on Jurrasic Park even sampled his own dog chewing on a toy then pitched it way down for T-rex effects.

Foley and sound design are arts, but extremely free arts. There really aren't any rules. Just get out there and listen, and if it's a piece you think you can use either outright (traffic noise, etc), or an element you can blend/produce into a new effect, then you can build your own custom library that noone else will have...

04-07-2004, 05:34 AM
Any thoughts on the Ford commercial effect?

kai
04-07-2004, 06:23 AM
Check out the "Producer's Toolbox"... it should have metallic clanks and big booms, etc that you could mix into the sound you're after... They have demos on the site. Give it a listen and see if it could help you...

http://www.producerstoolbox.com/

kai
04-07-2004, 06:24 AM
(or go out and record yourself hitting an anvil with a sledgehammer for the Ford sound) :)