PDA

View Full Version : Good Lord (magic bullet render times)

04-20-2004, 03:18 PM
How can I get the render times down for the magic bullet Look Suite? I've got a top of the line machine, I don't understand why it's crrrrrawwwwwling. I imagine I have something configured wrong, but who knows what. Any ideas? Thanks!

HybridTactics
04-20-2004, 05:03 PM
Nothing wrong. Magic Bullet is notorious for long render times. I have a 3.2 ghz, and when using just the Look Suite (no deinterlacing) on Premiere Pro, it takes forever.

kai
04-21-2004, 07:04 AM
Yeah Zac, it's a processor hog. I'm running a dual 2ghz G5 with 2 gigs of ram and it even chugs on that. It's pretty number intensive apparently. One of the minuses of using it, but you get great looks if you can spare the time to let it render.

04-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Ok, so there's no getting around long render times. What about the insanely increased file size? A 100mb video comes out like 1gig after I use the look suite on it. Is there a way to get that down?

kai
04-21-2004, 02:30 PM
hmmm that most likely has to do with your render settings (codec, etc)

05-12-2004, 10:56 AM
I tried to mess with the render settings but there weren't a whole lot of options. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Are the magic bullet effects supposed to increase the filesize 1000% ? Digital video is already big enough =(

Neil Rowe
05-12-2004, 11:00 AM
sounds like your rendering to uncompressed video- otherwise the file size should stay the same. magic bullet uncompresses, and works with the video in a high bit color space, and then compresses the vid back into the native colorspace using its "magic" to prevent banding. but anyway the file size should be the same if you have it set up right.

05-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Ok, so what might I have set terribly wrong? I'm not sure I'm even using it right, I just clicked some things one day and got it to work. I import my video, I right click it and make a comp, then that lets me add effects to it for whatever reason, then I click render comp and then it does its magic for 3 hours and I have a 5 minute clip thats 12 gig.

Sol M.
05-13-2004, 12:11 AM
Check your render settings in dialogue that comes up when you select 'render comp'. *Magic Bullet has no effect on filesize.

kai
05-13-2004, 11:14 AM
you need to make sure you're rendering using the dv codec, not "lossless" or "uncompressed"

Stoney_XL
05-14-2004, 11:43 PM
MB is one of those render overnight or while you're out plugs or on a render station if you're fortunate enough to have a second or third machine dedicated to just rendering. As to the file size I discovered a while ago that rendering to the dv codec is not as good (image wise) as the default animation codec that AE uses and the file size increase is normal.

Sol M.
05-15-2004, 07:29 AM
That is definitely true as the DV codec is compressed while the default animation codec is not, so filesize will definitely be different. :)

Truthfully, I don't think the larger filesize is a problem at all (in comparison to having my video compressed another generation). *I'll usually render uncompressed (video file or image sequence depending on the application I'm using, etc.) and render it out when I'm ready for final output to tape, dvd, etc. (especially for DVD as it's going to have to be compressed quite a bit when encoding to MPEG-2, so any extra bit(s) help:)).

Neil Rowe
05-15-2004, 08:07 AM
jive..
you actually should render it to dv when your using magic bullet because it will use the higher color space conversion, and then press it back to 8 bit without any artifacts, or gradient banding using its cool deep color stuffs. and if you try to compress back to mpg or other lower bit rate stuff without magic bullet..you will get gradient banding, and other artifacts. .. so since you have to go through that render stage at some time or another,, why not do it when it will be the best results by FAR!! and then not deal with the huge file sizes either.

Sol M.
05-15-2004, 09:49 AM
Good point :) Tho, that whole paragraph was more an observation on my workflow in general and the advantages of rendering uncompressed out of most programs (3D, compositors, etc.).

Truthfully, I've given up on Magic Bullet because of the crazy render times. If I really need "filmic-motion" from interlaced footage, I'll just use one of the other oft-discussed methods. And if color correction is what I'm after, Vegas or Color Finesse do the job at least as well. Sorry for the confusion :)

05-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Ok, I'm so retarded. I figured it out and my file sizes are no longer insane. Thanks guys, once again, you rule
-Zac