PDA

View Full Version : Requiem - A Film By Ubaid Seth

MrSeth
02-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Enjoyed filming Churhi so much I thought I'd film another one for the fest.

This one is called Requiem

Synopsis: An albino mortician meets a ghost from his past, triggering memories
of a tormented childhood

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=392&pictureid=2571

Credits:
Ubaid Seth - Executive Producer / Director / Editor
Gene Odom - Producer / Casting / Production Sound Engineer

Crew:
Screenwriter - Martin Lancaster
Music Score - Justin Durban
Script Consultant - Richard Hirsch
Director of Photography - Mark Sullivan
1st Assistant Cameraman - Jerry Pace
Assistant Director Slate - Andrew Hayes
Production Assistant Lav - Whitney Hayes
Still Photography - Teresa Hayes
Still Photography - Cathy Odom
Key Grip And Boom Mic - Ken Odom
Voice Over - Luke Odom
Boom Mic - Geoffrey Odom
Boom Mic - Drew Howard
Make Up And Hair - Lauren Noblin
Marketing - James Zepeda

Cast:
Harry Grant - Tristan Ahearn
Marcus Grant - Darren Cleveland
Harry's Mother - Cathy Odom
Priest - John St John
Morgue Assistant - Lucy J Roland
Young Harry - Jacob Wilson
Young Marcus - Liam Sampson
Young Harry's Mother - Lisa Wilson
Psychiatrist - Jennnifer Heylmun
Bad Kid 1 - Kenton Yanzi
Bad Kid 2 - Andrea Minotti
Bad Kid 3 - Peyton Heylmun
Bad Kid 4 - Sidharth Tarun
Bad Kid 5 - Lauren Wang
Bad Kid 6 - Emily Wang
Mourner 1 Auburn Hair - Marilyn Swick
Mourner 2 African American - Cassandra Moses
Mourner 3 Long Hair - Jason Zepeda
Mourner 4 Blonde Age 12 - Kinsey Bartley
Mourner 5 Blonde Age 14 - Ellery Bartley
Mourner 6 Black Hat - Margaret Michalek
Mourner 7 Priest's Wife - Kathy St John
Mourner 8 Italian - Daniela Minotti
Mourner 9 Blonde - Julia Mickum
Mourner 10 Blonde - Jake Messinger

Ki-Ki
02-08-2010, 03:43 AM
Great poster, this looks Interesting!

Any plot to give away?

RodThompson
02-08-2010, 05:37 AM
Double-threat!

I have my overly shifty, spy-like eyes on you.

MrSeth
02-08-2010, 06:31 AM
I'll try to get up a synopsis soon.. LOVED the script by Martin Lancaster -- his writing is extremely visual and thought-provoking. If anyone's read his work, you know exactly what I'm talking about!

Screen caps from the first day

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=392&pictureid=2561
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=392&pictureid=2562
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=392&pictureid=2563
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=392&pictureid=2564

ZazaCast
02-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Double the pleasure! Looking forward to this one too.

Rodney V. Smith
02-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Another one! Damn I'm impressed. Warm weather must be quite a blessing. [imagne jealousy here]

MrSeth
02-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Another one! Damn I'm impressed. Warm weather must be quite a blessing. [imagne jealousy here]

Hah! I live in Houston, Texas. Getting snow here is a blessing :-)

Wish it would snow here... It's already winter?? I didn't notice

Rodney V. Smith
02-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Hah! I live in Houston, Texas. Getting snow here is a blessing :-)

Wish it would snow here... It's already winter?? I didn't notice

Taunts? Well you asked for it, so some snow is heading your way.. just enough to make you stop filming any more films and making people like me look bad. :cheeky:

RodThompson
02-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Looks dementedly awesome! Love this shot.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/picture.php?albumid=392&pictureid=2563

MrSeth
02-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Taunts? Well you asked for it, so some snow is heading your way.. just enough to make you stop filming any more films and making people like me look bad. :cheeky:

:-) no are you kidding?? i would love some snow.. very inspiring. I'd be filming everyday.

MrSeth
02-09-2010, 07:52 PM
poster updated... it just needed rodney's touch!

Rodney V. Smith
02-09-2010, 07:53 PM
glad I could help.

jasonthewho
02-10-2010, 01:16 AM
Nice stills! I have no idea how anyone can pull off two entries, and still make both look good, but you managed it.

MrSeth
02-28-2010, 05:33 AM
thanks for the kind words jason!

A still from Red Alert

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6706/screenshot20100227at230.png

Ki-Ki
02-28-2010, 06:49 AM
Amazing screen.

SonicStates
03-01-2010, 02:29 AM
Wow! Mr. Seth, I am starting to believe you might have super powers. Not only doing all of this but offering to do CC on ours (thanks a tonne by the way even if it'll be next time that your skill set is put to use!)...btw, after looking at your screen shots I'm starting to shake a little about ours....oh my. What have I done?

MrSeth
03-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Wow! Mr. Seth, I am starting to believe you might have super powers. Not only doing all of this but offering to do CC on ours (thanks a tonne by the way even if it'll be next time that your skill set is put to use!)...btw, after looking at your screen shots I'm starting to shake a little about ours....oh my. What have I done?

Thanks for the kind words. No problem. My offer stays on the table as long as your a DVXUSER :) Wish you all the best buddy

Mike@AF
03-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Looks so far like you and I are alone on the 2 films front. Good luck to you sir!

Edit: I spoke too soon. There's three of us now.

Richard J. Johnson
03-07-2010, 06:45 AM
Christ that was an EXCELLENT film! The score was perfect, Acting was superb I have no complaints at all. one of my absolute favs. Just an outstanding job on all counts. I was totally mesmerized.

MrSeth
03-07-2010, 07:40 AM
Christ that was an EXCELLENT film! The score was perfect, Acting was superb I have no complaints at all. one of my absolute favs. Just an outstanding job on all counts. I was totally mesmerized.

Thanks you so much for the comments Richard! It means a lot

Mike@AF
03-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Excellent lighting, cinematography, sound, and music. The acting was excellent also. Good story. Well executed. Good job!

Chris_Keaton
03-07-2010, 04:34 PM
I got sucked right into this one. Great Job! Nothing bad really stood out, except I wasn't sure what he did that was supposed to be so bad? It couldn't have been the thrown rock? I was thinking maybe they both could see ghosts, but he denied it and tormenting his brother. Oh and one of those kids throws like a girl.

vnguyen972
03-07-2010, 04:39 PM
I wasn't sure what was betrayed here... more like a revenge? I don't know maybe I didn't get the film at all ..heheeh.. I like the camera work and angle but wasn't sure what happened to the boy on the boat? did he die as one of the rock hits him? oh.. and Chris (above) was right, one of them throws like a girl... lol

MrSeth
03-07-2010, 05:04 PM
I wasn't sure what was betrayed here... more like a revenge? I don't know maybe I didn't get the film at all ..heheeh.. I like the camera work and angle but wasn't sure what happened to the boy on the boat? did he die as one of the rock hits him? oh.. and Chris (above) was right, one of them throws like a girl... lol

The betrayal is exposed at the end - the man who died was his older brother who tormented him all throughout his childhood (and let other kids torment him as well).

When the counselor asks him "Do you believe in ghosts?" Harry realizes that even though his brother died, he will continue to be haunted by the memories his brother implanted in him in his childhood. They called him ghost boy because his skin color was different than the rest of the children.

pborghee
03-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Very cool little flick. I was hoping the whole time the other brother was dead and was seeing ghosts. But i got shot down. Awesome flick and wonderful acting. Nothing really abd to say about the film. I maybe woul dhave like to see more of the teasing the kdis did maybe to show that marcus was there so we kinda knew who marcus was. Overall very nice congrats.

RodThompson
03-08-2010, 07:07 AM
phenomenal. One of my faves.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
03-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Story: I know I've read this somewhere? Was it posted online? MoviePoet? BetrayalFest? I can't remember but I know I've read it. Great stuff. Loved the story.
EDIT: Yes, the writer and I spoke via email and he let me read his scripts. This was one of them. He's a very talented writer.

Acting: Very good all around. The only thing I wished for was an older lead. When he uttered the line that he was doing this for 'as long as he could remember' I chuckled a bit.
I mean, how old is he? He was great though so I got into it. Nice use of extras as well.

Technical: Rock solid all around, especially the sound. Everything was extremely well executed.

Nice work.

MAH

Homunculus
03-08-2010, 04:07 PM
wow..3 pages? this can't be right. this was easily the most powerful and well executed film in the entire fest period. I can't even say anything bad about it. the cinematography was stunning and absolutely convincing 10/10. the acting was 9/10 and very authentic. the music was 10/10 (Justin Durban's the man) the story was haunting and well played out. I'll be shocked if this isn't considered top 3-5 if not the fest winner.

ChrisHurn
03-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Interesting film and story. Wasn’t really my cup of tea, but you did a good job. First of all, this was shot very well, very nice colour correction and cinematography.
Sound was pretty good quality, though a tiny bit inconsistent at times in the mix I thought, like the scene at 2:03 which was a lot quieter than the rest of the dialogue mix. Otherwise good stuff there.

I really liked the score...that was very good and definitely played well to the tone of your film.

Acting was pretty solid, definitely nothing distracting or out of place, it was all pretty solid right through, with some very nice moments, where both the camera and the actor came together – one place that came to mind was on the line “Even though you made me hate myself”. Pretty good.

Memorable Moment
“Do you believe in Ghosts, Harry”, then the cool track/pan around and the “Ghost boy” whisper...the piano score coming in shortly after...that was a good moment in the film.

Some real cinematic moments in this short film. Good work to everyone involved. Congratulations on this entry.

MrSeth
03-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Thank you guys for the comments and critique! I'm glad you liked the film.

Tip: If you ever shoot a scene at the graveyard, watch out for poisonous snakes and/or tarantulas.. and make sure to finish shooting before it gets dark. Having ghosts follow you home doesn't have a happy ending :)

Homunculus
03-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Thank you guys for the comments and critique! I'm glad you liked the film.

Tip: If you ever shoot a scene at the graveyard, watch out for poisonous snakes and/or tarantulas.. and make sure to finish shooting before it gets dark. Having ghosts follow you home doesn't have a happy ending :)

"Do you believe in ghosts?"

stinkpot
03-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Holy sh!t did I like this one. Yes, it's good film-making... but what really drove it home for me was the fact that the lead actor (Ghost Boy) looks very much like a good friend of mine that was teased throughout junior high and high school and then finally became a mortician... it is uncanny! I know it sounds like BS but it's not! Dude, this is freaky for sure.

Matias Caruso
03-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Very powerful film with a nice, effective twist at the end. Nice job guys, you should be proud.

The score deserves a special mention. It's complex and has almost an epic feel to it, but at the same time it incorporates that simple string of notes from the "ghost boy" song. That's frickin' brilliant.

Brandon Rice
03-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Very well shot, creepy film. Nice score by the solid Justin Durban. Your lead seemed a bit stiff to me, though he had moments of brilliance.

Nice work.

Chris Messineo
03-09-2010, 12:02 PM
I love this script. It's all so melancholy and then the reveal is wonderful and haunting.

This film looked fantastic and I loved the score. Very well done.

Charli
03-09-2010, 12:19 PM
This is the second short film involving children that felt it was in the wrong category, but it should be in a horror fest or creep fest of some kind.

The pacing was slow, there wasn't much interaction with characters, I just didn't quite understand the story. I did however like the cemetery set, how did you pull that off.

dre83
03-09-2010, 01:24 PM
It starts good.. which is good.

The dialogues are very good.

The crow in the sound is very nice... I don't know if others (and then I mean non-sound-people) have heard it ?

"ghost boy, ghost boy", I thought that there were kids shouting next to him... Maybe little more reverb or effect in the voice to make it more unrealistic.
Although if I hear it a few times it's quite ok. But maybe it caould have been more ?

And he watches the wrong site to be good... But indeed...he watches "himself" (kind off...)
But I think it was better he looked the other way... to the kids.

The difference in light/image between past and present is very nice.

4100xpb
03-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Interesting film. I liked the style, colours, and cinematography. The technical work was excellent all around. You managed to match the tone of your film with the setting very well. I quite liked the locations you used, the lake home was particularly nice.

I’m uncertain how I feel about the story. I thought the elements with the kids were strong. The adult story, a little less, but reasonably strong. I apologize, as I can’t find a concrete way to put this, but it felt like something was missing in the middle. We see the betrayal, we see the aftermath, but there is such a big gap in between, I feel like I’m missing something, that there was more there we should know but don’t. I know at six minutes, there’s little enough time in these shorts, but I would have liked to have seen how Harry was affected and struggled from this in between childhood and adulthood.

I really liked the use of makeup on young Harry. It was subtle, but had a great effect. The acting and directing was very good. I really enjoyed the performances, particularly Harry’s mother. Overall, this was a very good film, and I thank you for letting us see it.

MrSeth
03-10-2010, 05:17 AM
"Do you believe in ghosts?"

:-KnockedOut(D lol

GoodLuck
03-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Hello Mr. Seth I checked out your movie and I have to say you captured some really beautiful images. I really like the story, it felt original and kept me interested. I also loved the music score, really set the mood and was matched up perfectly. The main actor had a unique look with the slicked back blonde hair that I felt you made a good casting choice with him. I think for something like this you need someone who looks different and stands out. He had kind of a slightly creepy/off feel to him. The younger version of himself also did a convincing job, as well as the psychologist.

My only complaint is with the gamma, I think it could have been a little darker but I know that conversion to H.264/quicktime mov files often brightens things up. Even still, maybe a quick gamma bump up would saturate/darken some of the colors more and further set the mood. Just a suggestion.

Great job overall, loved some of the shots you got like the low angle shot up at the psychologist. I think that's something some people wouldn't have got. It's more in line with the lower perspective of the little boy and also gives her more of an eerie feel.

My favorite shot...
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7225/ghostboyk.jpg

ZazaCast
03-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Spooky film.... shot well...score was great. The story was missing something for me too as stated above. I watched it a few times, but I still don't think I understand it fully?

Ben Sliker
03-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Ok, so I'm totally bias cause i just wrapped up watching 5 straight seasons of '6 Feet Under' and this was very much in the same tone. And let's face it, Michael C. Hall is the man. Ok, enough of that.

The point I'm trying to make is that there were parts of this film that reminded me of that show, which is a very good thing! In particular, my favorite part is when the guy is on the table and the Albino imagines him taunting him. That could have been straight from the show. And all the extras and the cemetery and the funeral? I'm constantly amazed at what can be thrown together for these shorts. Thanks for sharing!

Bigmagic
03-11-2010, 10:03 PM
I liked this one very much, the lead actor was spooky effective. It was very well executed and very creepy. I was expecting something much worse at the end, but I wasn't really let down. Great job.

Tunnelmen
03-11-2010, 10:27 PM
I really got into this. I too am amazed at number of xtas that you had and the full cemetary/ casket and all. The score was great, shot selection and acting. Very good film. I did have to watch it again to get it, but that's always ok with me. I think someone earlier commented on in being it the wrong category?? They did on mine too, but I think that they misunderstand that betrayal is a a theme and not a genre. I think you did great with the betrayal theme! Great Movie!

Nemesis TS
03-11-2010, 10:56 PM
This was the most professional looking film of all. The large cast, the perfect lighting, the props, great looking images and the number of locations. Most these films are in one or two locations so this one really felt like a hollywood movie. The acting was well done.

Really well done. I'm jealous I wish I had these kinds of resources... Oh and the talent to put it all together.

Tom Shortridge
03-12-2010, 10:14 AM
I agree with the other commenters that said the crowd scenes - kids and mourners - helped this feel like a big-time production.

Your lead was good - really looks like Val Kilmer. Pre-weight-gain Val Kilmer. His makeup was a little heavy, though, especially in close-up.

I've got a buddy who works with a funeral home, so this was pretty cool to see. Nice choice of locations, good production design, and good cinematography.

jasonthewho
03-12-2010, 12:19 PM
I really liked this.

I was confused by a couple of little things. The lead says he's been making the dead look good for as long as he could remember. How old is he supposed to be? Or did he help out as a kid? Did they call him ghost boy because of his looks or because he worked with the dead? I'm guessing looks, but based on that line I was confused.

Anyway, beyond that everything was good. Strong acting, understated voiceover, fantastic locations, big cast, funeral (how'd you pull that off), story twist.

Especially like the brother coming back from the dead momentarily.

I liked both your entries, but I give this one the slight edge.

Nemesis TS
03-12-2010, 01:24 PM
I think he makes the dead look good, because his whole life he has looked like a ghost... therefor looks worse than the dead. Thats my take on it.

Stephen Mick
03-23-2010, 06:47 AM
I'm still waiting for the iTunes release of Justin Durban's score for "Requiem"…

http://www.filmeveryday.com/2010/03/23/1st-semi-annual-festie-award-winners/

totitefilms
03-23-2010, 01:52 PM
I just got a chance to watch this film. This is one of the very well made movies in this fest. The story is a little bit confusing though but everything else is great. Too bad that it couldn't make it to the top ten.

Edgen
03-23-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm still waiting for the iTunes release of Justin Durban's score for "Requiem"

http://www.filmeveryday.com/2010/03/23/1st-semi-annual-festie-award-winners/

It will most likely never make the iTunes circa.. so here ya go! :)
www.edgenmusic.com/edgen_requiem.mp3 (http://www.edgenmusic.com/edgen_requiem.mp3)

Ubaid, Good luck with the film in the festivals.. anxious to hear more and work with you again.
/j

MrSeth
03-23-2010, 08:33 PM
It will most likely never make the iTunes circa.. so here ya go! :)
www.edgenmusic.com/edgen_requiem.mp3 (http://www.edgenmusic.com/edgen_requiem.mp3)

Ubaid, Good luck with the film in the festivals.. anxious to hear more and work with you again.
/j

Thanks Justin! It was very fun - I actually wanted to take some of the suggestions from this forum and re-edit before sending it to the festivals. Will definitely keep you updated