PDA

View Full Version : Vertical black lines recorded on 7D

Neto Favaron
02-03-2010, 05:43 PM
After some time recording video, the LCD shows vertical black lines that are also recorded to the CF card. When I use the magnifying feature, the lines become more clearly visible. Anyone had the same problem?
And anyone knows about a fix for that?

I tried every possible configuration option and recording mode, with no success. When the lines appear, they wont go away, even if I turn down the camera for cooling. But it is hot and humid here... like 84F at 11:40 PM!

Thanks in advance,

Neto

Barry_Green
02-03-2010, 10:30 PM
The manual says that if you run it and it gets warm, the picture quality degrades. I would assume that's what you're seeing here, but I haven't experienced it so don't know for sure. But it sounds reasonable.

Neto Favaron
02-04-2010, 04:07 AM
That was my guess, but the problem is there as I turn on the camera or within a couple of minutes, even if used in a cold (air-conditioned) environment... the black lines are even spaced, all across the image, like a pattern from the cmos.
And to make it even worse, I checked the photo mode and the vertical lines are there, on the stills. My hope is someone had the same problem, and found a solution. Preferably without magic or vodoo, but that will do if it works.

Jay Rodriguez
02-04-2010, 08:20 AM
I have the same problem. I posted about it a couple of weeks ago but nobody seemed to have the same issue. Very strange.

Ian-T
02-04-2010, 10:00 AM
I've not had that problem. Does it ever go away and then come back....or is it always there (no matter how long you spend away from the camera)? I'd send the camera in for servicing.

Barry_Green
02-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Agreed with Ian. If it's there when you turn it on, it sounds like you've got a bad one.

Michael Olsen
02-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Have you called canon? They are generally pretty helpful.

To me, it sounds like a sensor malfunction/defect. Certainly not something you could fix by pressing a button...

Neto Favaron
02-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks Barry, Ian and Michael, I have to agree. It is likely a bad sensor. Wish I could push a button to fix it... Do you guys know where I can find a Canon service center near Westminster, CA? Im actually in Rio de Janeiro (man, Its hot here) but Ill send the 7D body to a friend, cause I bought it there and the warranty is good only in USA.

el presidente
02-04-2010, 10:14 AM
is it not the vertical pattern noise you get with too much gain/iso??
does it still occur at iso 160 on manual?

Neto Favaron
02-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Unfortunately, it is not. I really tried every Iso/shutter/wb/etc combination, and it wont go away. And they are thin but solid black lines, like the sensor is missing every eleventh pixel row. (hope I am clear, I natively speak portuguese).
And to fix it here, if they have to replace the sensor, besides voiding the warranty, will cost almost the price of the camera. So I believe Ill send it over there for a fix or replacement. Would like to know if anyone had this problem and got a replacement or what...

Neto Favaron
02-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Sent a couple of e-mails to Canon but no response... Anyone knows the address/website/phone number for a Canon Service Center nearby Westminster CA?
And do you guys know how long (aproximately) would it take for a replacement?

j.nguyen
02-12-2010, 02:34 PM
There is a canon service center in Irvine, ca.
(949) 753-4200

google does wonders.
turnaround time depends on the problem I'd imagine. Call and ask.

Ian-T
02-12-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm curious but do you have a sample that you can show us? Maybe just a frame from the video.

Neto Favaron
02-13-2010, 05:48 AM
Thank you, nguyen, actually I did find this Service Center on Google. Just wanted to know about a place that the locals knew, I mean a recommendation. And since Im short on revenue without my camera, I was trying to save the expense of the call, wich is very expensive from here, specially when you dont speak english very well, like me.
I guess I need to improve my english skills... but thanks anyway, I just sent the camera to a friend in Westminster, so he can drop it there (its still in Fedex transit). And Ian, I think I still have footage with the problem, Ill post it here (or at least try to...). The image is 10 pixels good, 01 missing pixel, 10 good, and goes like that all across the frame.

Neto Favaron
03-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Hi,

Just got the camera back from Canon Service Center Irvine. Problem solved, still in warranty. Now Im happy. Thanks everyone.

davidphanson
03-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Ya, just happened to me on a commercial shoot. Was going fine, then the last two scenes developed the vertical black lines. Let the camera sit overnight..still there. I'm sending it in tomorrow. I see issues on forums about this...I'm guessing a manufacturing sensor thing...

Keeganxt
07-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Just happened to me today... Basically ruined both interviews I shot today, h4n audio is usable, but that really limits editing options and overall sucks ass. Canon service rep was helpful, even for a Saturday. He said, of the few times he's heard of this issue, he's never heard back from them after the repair was made. So i guess thats good news. Shipping my 7D body off Monday.37259