PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Hitchcock Film

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-02-2010, 08:10 AM
While we're waiting... :)

Pick your favourite Hitchcock film and let us know why.
You can only pick one!

I would say that my all time fave is Rear Window (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047396/).

Why? James Stewart and Grace Kelly are hard to beat, but what I really love about this film is that it all takes place in an apartment with a bird's eye view of the neighbours. The slow build up of suspense was brilliant. Once again proving that less is more.

With such great acting, strong visuals and an amazing script it really didn't need anything else.

MAH

ZazaCast
02-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Rear Window also! LOVE that film for the same reason, one location and it's all about the acting. (plus, Grace is REALLY easy on the eye!)

On a side note... I believe she was discovered at the local gym! :grin:

Isaac_Brody
02-02-2010, 08:16 AM
The Birds. I've seriously watched that at least ten times. :)

Chris_Keaton
02-02-2010, 08:18 AM
The Birds. I've seriously watched that at least ten times. :)

Inspired by true events. :)

j1clark@ucsd.edu
02-02-2010, 10:03 AM
I'd have to say "Strangers on a Train"(1951).

Had I the 'opportunity' to remake it, I'd probably keep it as a 1950's period film... for me, an 'airplane' just wouldn't work as the 'chance meeting' place... or if 'modernized' set in Europe, since train travel is still popular...

The other adaptations of Patricia Hightower's "Ripley" series I don't think have done as well.

As for 'why'... well Black and White for one... The storyline has a certain 'realism', and not junked up too much with then pop-psychobabble.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-02-2010, 10:45 AM
I'd have to say "Strangers on a Train"(1951).

It's been way too long since I've seen that one. I'll have to rent it.

Richard J. Johnson
02-02-2010, 10:46 AM
The birds for me.

Peter Reynolds
02-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Dial "N' for Nerdier

Oh wait. That's my life story :)

P.

Jordan_S
02-02-2010, 11:04 AM
"Psycho." A professor in college guided us through the shower scene fame by frame back when laserdiscs had a toehold.

Gohanto
02-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Vertigo, hands down.

The lighting, acting, music, it's just a film that works so perfectly. One of the very few films that really messed with me for several days after I saw it.

Captain Pierce
02-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Does "High Anxiety" count? :D

Seriously, I will admit that my Hitch viewing is not up to par (and thus open myself up to much ridicule, I'm sure :) ), but I do like "North by Northwest" very much. Any time I see a crop-dusting plane, I watch that sucker very, very closely...

j1clark@ucsd.edu
02-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Does "High Anxiety" count? :D

Seriously, I will admit that my Hitch viewing is not up to par (and thus open myself up to much ridicule, I'm sure :) ), but I do like "North by Northwest" very much. Any time I see a crop-dusting plane, I watch that sucker very, very closely...

Well, that sequence, and the drunken crop duster in "Independence Day"(1996)... should put you in a state of High Anxiety anytime they are in the air in your vicinity...

J.R. Hudson
02-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Rear Window.

Masterful use of the P.O.V. and our voyeuristic sides.

Mark Harris
02-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Rear Window.

Masterful use of the P.O.V. and our voyeuristic sides.

+1, followed closely by Notorious.

Anthony Todaro
02-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Lifeboat, The 39 Steps, Rear Window, Secret Agent.

Peter Lorre, Tallulah Bankhead, Jimmy Stewart, Grace Kelly and the biggest MacGuffin ever in history,
the title... "The 39 Steps" << That is a spoiler... ha ha ha.

Oh, you said film... well I guess, Strangers on a Train or no, The Man Who Knew Too Much....
Damn, why don't you ask which oxygen molecule was my favorite to inhale, of all the ones
I have inhaled throughout my life? It would be easier to narrow down then this... Ha ha ha.

Nektonic
02-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Best black + white Hitch = Strangers on a Train and Notorious

Best color Hitch = Rear Window

Zxander34
02-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Pyscho would have to be mine.

Mailliw87
02-03-2010, 12:17 PM
I really liked Vertigo

Blaine
02-03-2010, 01:06 PM
I really enjoy Dial M for Murder and like Psycho even more. But Rear Window has to be my favorite for the reasons John points out.

You certainly could do a lot worse than any of:

Rear Window
Psycho
Dial M for Murder
Vertigo
Notorious
Strangers on a Train

Blaine
02-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Rear Window.

Masterful use of the P.O.V. and our voyeuristic sides.Nice to see the Walken avatar back :beer:

pirate40
02-03-2010, 01:13 PM
The trouble with Harry.
This was a comedy with the Hitchcock touch of suspense and eeriness.

Russell Moore
02-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Captain Pierce...sadly, I'm in the same boat. The number of Hitchcock's films I've seen is embarrassingly limited. I know, I saw Psycho and The Birds when I was a kid and liked them both.
Egads, the shame.

J.R. Hudson
02-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Pyscho would have to be mine.

That was my other choice.

Damn. Asking me to name my FAV Hitch film is like asking me too name my FAV Scorsese film.

Helferc
02-03-2010, 02:31 PM
North by Northwest

NewHPXuser
02-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Rope has to rank up there for being shot in one take.

j1clark@ucsd.edu
02-03-2010, 03:08 PM
That was my other choice.

Damn. Asking me to name my FAV Hitch film is like asking me too name my FAV Scorsese film.

Yes, but in the case of Scorsese, it's much easier to name my 'most unfavorite'... "New York, New York"(1977)...

SonicStates
02-03-2010, 05:12 PM
"The Birds"
The whole concept of nature revolting captures my imagination.

NewHPXuser
02-03-2010, 05:17 PM
"The Birds"

Also the only film I can think of that has no music in it anywhere.

dust'n the callipygous
02-03-2010, 06:01 PM
The 39 Steps

Nektonic
02-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Anybody seen Suspicion? Really weird blend of suspense and humor. Not Hitch's best, but still pretty fun. Cary Grant is a real hoot in it.

"The Birds"

I know it is basically cinematic sacrilege to even mention the thought of remaking/rebooting/or re-imagining a Hitchcock picture, but of all his films, I think with the effects possible today that The Birds would be the only one that deserves a remake.

Of course, it would need a great director, one who is going to respect Hitchcock's work and not try to completely redo the whole thing. I think Spielberg could do a great Birds remake. If not him, maybe David Fincher could pull it off (think how Hitchcockian both The Game and Panic Room are).

Paul Hudson
02-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Rear Window or The Birds because it scares the hell out of my ex wife and she scares the hell out of everyone, so it must be scary!

J.R. Hudson
02-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Also the only film I can think of that has no music in it anywhere.

No Country used this approach as well.

I love it.

J.R. Hudson
02-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Then of course there is the REDUBBED Version

v=w_XJup6SlGY

J.R. Hudson
02-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Goddamn it

How do I post YT's ?

Jordan_S
02-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Just paste the video ID between the brackets.
w_XJup6SlGY

J.R. Hudson
02-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks Jordan

Batutta
02-03-2010, 08:30 PM
There's so many great ones, if I had to choose North By Northwest. It's the original Bond movie. Watch it again with that in mind and you'll see how many elements the Bond movies took from this film.

dufloorman
02-03-2010, 09:22 PM
So many great ones. But I do have a favourite Hitchcock story, and it involves what might be my fav Hitch movie Rear Window. In order to achieve the depth of focus to render sharpness throughout the scenes, an unprecedented amount of lighting was employed on the soundstage...so much so that the heat triggered the sprinkler systems and the set needed to be extensively repaired.

Also really like Strangers On A Train and Rope. Both really interesting explorations of "character".

Nitsuj
02-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Oh man... picking just one is damn near impossible. If I was on a ship that sank and the only thing that kept me a float to a secluded island was an air tight container containing a TV, a DVD player, a solar powered converter, and one Hitchcock film than I guess it would be The Birds. Damn it just doesn't feel right picking one though.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Oh man... picking just one is damn near impossible. If I was on a ship that sank and the only thing that kept me a float to a secluded island was an air tight container containing a TV, a DVD player, a solar powered converter, and one Hitchcock film than I guess it would be The Birds. Damn it just doesn't feel right picking one though.
I know. I'm a bit of a prick. :)

:banned:

Denis Haineault
02-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Woah, I have probably a dozen favorites. I guess I'll go with the one I've seen the most: The Birds.

Now everyone sing along:
"She let the critter get away. Ristle-tee, rostle-tee, hey donny dostle-tee, knickety-knackety, retro-quo-quality, willoby-wallaby, Now, now, now!..."

MML
02-07-2010, 10:20 AM
"Marnie" - My Mom is a big time Hitchcock fan, obviously. :)

MML
02-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Just watched Vertigo...awesome. My eyes were glued to the screen the whole time.

I wonder though...how would a screenplay & film like that be recieved now? It was long and then when you thought it was over it just about started again.

Bigmagic
03-09-2010, 03:30 PM
I remember as a kid watching Hitchcock on his Sunday night tv show. My favorite Hitchcock movie in those days was "The 39 Steps". I don't think it holds up as well today and that can be said of a lot of his movies. Actors tended to be more melodramatic in those days. "The Birds" is very interesting because of the lack of a score. There are some great visual elements in all of his films but a lot of that stuff has been overdone. All in all he was a good filmmaker, I can't bring myself to say great due to the way he treated people.