PDA

View Full Version : Creating fire?

Vertigo1
10-25-2004, 08:39 PM
does anyone know how to create fire in After Effects?....like a sphere of fire in someones hands or something like that? thanks

hawks66
11-02-2004, 12:33 AM
unfortunatly, ae does not come with a fire plugin, my advice would be to shoot some real live fire against a black background, (of course the transfer mode would be screen) full frame, then scale it down in ae to create the size you need, you can go with the old tennis ball soaked in flammable liquid to create a fire ball effect. *looks great.

Rich Lee
11-02-2004, 07:26 AM
this should work pretty well...and would me mostly practical..

get a chystal ball...something that has alot of refraction....not a hollow plastic ball, a real glass ball...

get your fire going and position the glass ball between the camera and the flame. what should happen is that you will get a really cool sort of enveloping of fire hapening in the refracted glass...it should look like a ball of fire...

the vfx supervisor from x-men 2 and keeps and glass ball on his desk that he sometimes uses for such tasks...

Vertigo1
11-03-2004, 05:56 AM
Hey thanks guys, I've been messing around with the particle playground and distorted maps. It doesn't look like 100% real fire but maybe 70%. Which plug-in creates the most realistic fire effects?...Like the fire around that girl in Hellboy?

Rich, once I've captured the footage through the crystal ball do I superimpose it over something else? Does a green screen need to be behind it? BTW..Your music video is beyond amazing:)

david_kuznicki
11-03-2004, 10:51 AM
I swear by Particle Illusion for all my fire & explosion effects. It's not, however, a plug in for AE... it's stand alone. I THINK they said that they were releasing a plug-in version sometime late this year/early next year for AE.

www.wondertouch.com for info & a demo

(btw, I'm certainly NOT a shill for Wondertouch... just someone who has been very impressed with the software!)

David.

Rich Lee
11-03-2004, 09:00 PM
Vertigo1, if you can just roto out around the edges of the ball, and then you can just comp it over top of yuor images. you can mess with the different overlays as well to blend it with the image however you like....

im not sure what the best plugin is.

stock footage works really well. i will choose a piece of stock footage over an after effects plugin anyday...

check these guys out...

http://www.artbeats.com/prod/product.php?pg=1&id=213

http://www.artbeats.com/prod/product.php?pg=1&id=214

http://www.artbeats.com/prod/product.php?pg=1&id=352

Encheval
11-04-2004, 02:13 PM
You may want to try Trapcode's Particular which is such a cool particle plugin (comparable to Particle Illusion that comes with Combustion), there's also the old Eye Candy for AE (dunno if it still works on V6...).

You can also Make them in Photodhop and animate using Warp / Liquify tools or DL pics from the net and do the same (works quite good but really boring to do...)

I also second Rich: stock footage are a must and Artbeats are killers i use them a lot, but they are kinda pricey.

Nico