PDA

View Full Version : Something better than what I got...

CaptainMench
11-09-2004, 06:46 PM
I'm trying to create a 3D panel that sits infront of the subject to punch up words that will appear over head. I've only been messing around for a little bit, but the best I could come up with was adding a new solid, lowering opacity, and tilting in 3D space.

I was hip enough to add little flashes when typing on this panel, but it does look like it took me all of 5 minutes... which it did.

I've got some plugins... Zackworks too. 6.0Pro.

Any thoughts on creating something all in AE -- maybe even an hour's worth of work!!??

Thanks

CaptM

CaptainMench
11-09-2004, 09:05 PM
This is the first few seconds. *Remember!!!

I'm new to AE!!! *BE GENTLE! (you all started somewhere, right?)

Filmed in my hallway when I came home from work. I'll work on the keying when I figure out how to do this for real!!

http://homepage.mac.com/captmench/AEProject.mov

Thanks

CaptM

Bill_Bolton
11-09-2004, 09:29 PM
I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but for 3D, I use a 3D program like Lightwave and use the power of AE for the compositing. To me, 3D in Lightwave is easier than faking it in AE.

CaptainMench
11-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Thanks, Bill -- I'll try that. I've got Blender... can't use it either. But I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again.

CaptM

TC
11-10-2004, 11:53 PM
I don't know if Lightwave has a demo. But Maya has the Personal Learning Edition. Might want to check that out.

CaptainMench
11-11-2004, 06:47 AM
Ended up drawing a rounded off rectangle in Illustrator and then bringing it into AE and using Zaxworks on it.

My 4 year old thought I was George Lucas!

Damn, I'm good!

Thanks everyone.

CaptM

hawks66
11-11-2004, 10:17 AM
thats not bad. perhaps put a glow or some kind of stroke around the alpha of the layers you have up. like the red rectangle and each of the video squares?

CaptainMench
11-11-2004, 11:41 PM
Ok -- I worked out some of the keying problems.

Two others...

Hawks - Sounds like a good idea. How might I go about that?

Second - I can't seem to do ANYTHING with the tablet. Once zaxworks has it nothing else seems to work. Can't put a flash on it... can't put a Boris effect on it...

which reminds me... My Boris effects won't work in AE. They're loaded and they also work in FCP but I've been trying to get a particle 2D type dissolve instead of the wipe away and all they (the video squares) do is disapear

http://homepage.mac.com/captmench/AEProject2.mov

Thanks

CaptM

hawks66
11-13-2004, 12:07 AM
im assuming that the small video windows are simply one composition each, go effects>stylize>glow

change the setting of glow based on to either alpha or color channels,

change the radius and intensity to taste

this is 6.5 pro. i dont know if glow comes with other versions or not.

also you use alot of lens flares, how about instead of a flare when you touch the keypad with your finger, have a color dodged square light up or something to that effect, also i think that the pad came into being better in the first movie.

CaptainMench
11-13-2004, 12:32 AM
Ok -- I revamped the whole thing. Didn't see your post until late tonight.

I'm going to change the flashes in the pad during typing and I don't really like the 2d particle burst either.

But -- we're moving in the right direction, I think...

http://homepage.mac.com/captmench/Ben3.mov

Thanks again, Hawks.

CaptM

hawks66
11-13-2004, 12:36 AM
looks good, i especially like the metal brackets,

im assuming you'll have some beeps for the typing.