PDA

View Full Version : Too many ideas....

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Do you ever have so many ideas for a Fest that it's actually more of a curse?

I had to pull out of the Fest with my original idea because I just can't pull it off in time. Actors pulled out, location fell through, blah, blah, blah.

So I decided to start writing, big mistake! Now I have half a dozen or so 'Betrayal' scripts and a few of them are just not going to happen.
Some due to the time and SFX required. Others due to scheduling conflicts and the amount of props needed. Now I'm having trouble picking a direction to go in.

My biggest obstacle is finding people here in Ottawa to help out. I'm having a REALLY hard time finding new actors who want to go out on a limb.
Tough to find a dedicated experienced crew as well.

Sorry, just ranting.

I feel better now. :)

MAH

Ki-Ki
02-01-2010, 09:09 AM
The acting problem I'm familiar with, here in the UK. We often have Idea's but there's normally a small number which could be filmable for some reason or the other. This time, we have like 3-4 that ARE all filmable. It's just locking them down to which one now..!

In this case, we got a meeting on Wednesday in the Capital, and if that goes well. We'll create a thread the following week and film on the 11th. But It'd be a major push close to the deadline.

ZazaCast
02-01-2010, 09:19 AM
I feel your pain...on a daily basis. It's hard to believe there aren't more people into this stuff in my area too, both cast & crew.

Charli
02-01-2010, 10:03 AM
It must be the town because I never had problems with people wanting to be part of something - guys at the gym, college students, etc.

Ki-Ki
02-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Guy's at the gym eh Charli.

If It wasn't for Charli giving my a polite kick up the ass, I wouldn't be making my first film in a fortnight. Thanks girl :)

Charli
02-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Kiki - you're welcome. Go to any pub and take a look at the folks around and just approach a few for extras in the background of your story, promise them beer
after. People are constantly seeking an adventure, something new, you just have to let them know you're out there.

MAH - the problem I'm running into is having those involved connected with the script. The story has to hit the filmmaker in the gut and you must film it.
Reason you have so many ideas is that none of them have hit you in the gut.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-01-2010, 10:55 AM
MAH - the problem I'm running into is having those involved connected with the script. The story has to hit the filmmaker in the gut and you must film it.
Reason you have so many ideas is that none of them have hit you in the gut.Quite the opposite! As you may or may not know I've entered more than my fair share of DVX Festivals.
I've also done them by myself, with little to no crew whatsoever. Most times entirely on my own.

It weighs on you after a while. I guess you would have to experience it to understand.

I have a few scripts that I would LOVE to do. That's hardly the issue here.
It's finding talented actors and getting someone who can do more than point the camera that's the issue.

MAH

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-01-2010, 10:55 AM
I feel your pain...on a daily basis. It's hard to believe there aren't more people into this stuff in my area too, both cast & crew.
Yup. Sucks sometimes.

Richard J. Johnson
02-01-2010, 11:13 AM
You are too damn good not to be shooting all the time. If I lived in Ottawa I would ride with you.

ZazaCast
02-01-2010, 11:44 AM
You are too damn good not to be shooting all the time. If I lived in Ottawa I would ride with you.

Me too!

ZazaCast
02-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Go to any pub and take a look at the folks around and just approach a few for extras in the background of your story, promise them beer
after.

This sounds like a really bad pick-up line and you'd end-up in jail if you tried that around here! :shocked:

Upstate NY is NOT California...where everyone wants to be a star. (...well, just about everyone):happy:

j1clark@ucsd.edu
02-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Do you ever have so many ideas for a Fest that it's actually more of a curse?

My biggest problem is 1) have no money... 2) have an incredibly large amount of, essentially paralyzing, anxiety about asking people for 'locations' for free. If I had the money I'd rent an appartement, or office, or whatever location, and just be done with it...

The other paralysing inhibition is asking attractive women to take off their clothes and stand, or something like that, in front of a camera, for free... again money solves that problem...

Salesmanship... I couldn't sell an Eskimo a heater in the dead of winter.

Charli
02-01-2010, 11:59 AM
lol ZaZa - depend on the pub, my neighbor went to one few months back and saw Kiefer Sutherland and had a few drinks with him.

A guy at the gym I frequented in Santa Cruz was asked to start in a series (he was a sheriff) and a another one got a short gig in supporting role in a reality series, he was also from the gym.

So MAH sounds like you don't have enough people interested in the crew part, not sure if your crew pool is small there or you're not serving like Theo's buffalo wings for lunch - that will get any crew jump on board.

Again, if you have a college nearby, you should be able to find a crew that will 'grow' with you or a 'public tv station' should have a billboard of people wanting
to work on projects.

Santa Cruz was a small town but we had a college and a public tv facility. Not the highest quality crews, but people who definitely had potential.

ZazaCast
02-01-2010, 12:01 PM
The other paralysing inhibition is asking attractive women to take off their clothes and stand, or something like that, in front of a camera, for free... again money solves that problem...

You HAVE to get over that! ... I've never had that problem.:happy:

ZazaCast
02-01-2010, 12:05 PM
lol ZaZa - depend on the pub, my neighbor went to one few months back and saw Kiefer Sutherland and had a few drinks with him.

Like I said...this ain't Calibaby. We mostly cater to serial killers, rapists and thugs in general... but the next time I see Kiefer, I'll be sure to ask him if he'd like to work with me!:thumbsup:

...are you sure thay didn't see him in jail?

Ki-Ki
02-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Sorry, all I read was KIETHER SUTHERLAND & everything else went out the window..

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Charli, I guess the problem with that is I don't want to take a big step backwards as far as production quality goes. Sure, I could hand some kid a camera and let someone who doesn't know a thing about sound try to capture it but I barely have time to do this stuff in the first place, and I certainly don't want to have to waste it on teaching someone else how to do it.

The first thing I do is ask for a reel. After I look at it and realize that there is no way that I would let this person DP for me I imagine what it would be like to have the money to afford to pay for a good one. :)

Sure, I could get any schmo to crew for me but then it would suck. There are a lot of talented people here on this board but not too many live in Ottawa. Don't even get me started on finding good actors. Why do you think you've seen the same guy in all of my movies? :)

I'm not giving up, just finding it rough.

You are too damn good not to be shooting all the time. If I lived in Ottawa I would ride with you.Thanks, man.

Me too!Many thanks.

MAH

Charli
02-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Ottawa -

Public Universities: Carelton University, University of Ottawa

Private Universities: Dominica University College, Saint Paul University

Public Community Colleges: Algonquin College, La Cite Colligiale

Private Colleges: Herzing

Filmmakers of Ottawa Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&viewas=0&gid=2229082109

The Independent Filmmakers Co-op of Ottaw IFCO

crew list: http://www.ifco.ca/crewlist.html

Ottawa Filmmakers launch a locally made movie

http://news.ca.msn.com/local/ottawa/article.aspx?cp-documentid=23348018

Ottawa Public Television Stations

http://www.ottawakiosk.com/television.html

Ottawa is the fourth largest municipality in the country and second only to Ontario, population - in 2008 898,150.

Population of Santa Cruz - 56,124.

Now MAH go out there and network, network, network!

j1clark@ucsd.edu
02-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Santa Cruz was a small town but we had a college and a public tv facility. Not the highest quality crews, but people who definitely had potential.

Santa Cruz... like UC party central... so, any excuse not to show up for classes was good enough...

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Ottawa -

Public Universities: Carelton University, University of Ottawa

Private Universities: Dominica University College, Saint Paul University

Public Community Colleges: Algonquin College, La Cite Colligiale

Private Colleges: Herzing

Filmmakers of Ottawa Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&viewas=0&gid=2229082109

The Independent Filmmakers Co-op of Ottaw IFCO

crew list: http://www.ifco.ca/crewlist.html

Ottawa Filmmakers launch a locally made movie

http://news.ca.msn.com/local/ottawa/article.aspx?cp-documentid=23348018

Ottawa Public Television Stations

http://www.ottawakiosk.com/television.html

Ottawa is the fourth largest municipality in the country and second only to Ontario, population - in 2008 898,150.

Population of Santa Cruz - 56,124.

Now MAH go out there and network, network, network!

Charli, I'm already a member of many of those groups on Facebook, ACT Ottawa as well. I guess you're just refusing to listen.

And if you knew anything about IFCO you would know that they are against video almost entirely. They look down on anyone who won't use FILM. It was a bitch for me just to rent a mic from them after they found out what I was shooting on.

If I want to let someone who is just learning how to use a camera I'll contact a college or university, and believe me I have. Still waiting to find that talented someone. I know they exist, I've just had very little luck.

EDIT: It's easy to talk from the cheap seats and I've entered my share of festivals here, more than most.
So it's not like I don't have the drive. I think I've proved that already.

MAH

Ki-Ki
02-01-2010, 12:46 PM
I think a few people on the board have moved from one area to another to try and further there filmmaking -- I'm guessing you can't do something similar?

Saying that If you don't have money to hire -- you probably can't afford to move. Catch 22.

Nemesis TS
02-01-2010, 12:49 PM
I feel the same way you do and I live in Southern California. I struggled to find actors for a short film that my friend wrote, which I loved. I set up casting calls and held auditions, but couldn't find the right mix of people. I spent all of 2009 trying to do this one short.

Now, I am not very experienced and have only done one other short, so part of my struggle is I'm not that confident or accomplished in this field.... So in 2010 I decided to try something new.

I held a mixer, inviting anyone who might be interested in acting or crewing or may have a location etc. Found out who was really interested in this stuff and wrote a script for betrayal fest with these people in mind. Since you like to write this should come easy for you.

Maybe you don't have the wealth of actors that so cal does but just try and get a location here without money. Almost impossible. There is no novelty in filming here. These people have an empty warehouse in the ghetto and they want 5 grand a day to shoot in, 2500 if you know them and they give you a break. There are challenges everywhere, no matter where you live.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-01-2010, 01:06 PM
I think a few people on the board have moved from one area to another to try and further there filmmaking -- I'm guessing you can't do something similar?

Saying that If you don't have money to hire -- you probably can't afford to move. Catch 22.This is still a hobby for me. That and I have a wife and daughter, we are all happy here. It's just not a film making town for the most part.

As for the rest...
Guys, it's not like I haven't made any movies?

Guess it's not a good day to let off some steam.

I know there are challenges everywhere. I get that. That's why I've still managed to make about six or more entries for DVX Festivals, have I not?
But there are some serious advantages in other areas. Hell, even Toronto is a film making mecca compared to here.

Forgive me for bitching. I'll get off my ass now. :)

MAH

Gohanto
02-01-2010, 01:19 PM
I definitely follow where you're coming from. I've had numerous films fall through for just the reasons you've mentioned.

On the too many ideas side though, my strategy has always been pretty simply... Would I still direct the story if I was in Spielberg/Cameron/Nolan/ect...'s shows and could choice any story in the world to direct.

MSpencer
02-01-2010, 01:33 PM
This is still a hobby for me. That and I have a wife and daughter, we are all happy here.

Guess it's not a good day to let off some steam.

MAH

i'll be that person to listen. rant away...

Rodney V. Smith
02-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Mike gets out and he makes films. And his scripts are all shootable. You know why? Because he knows his limitations and writes exactly for what he has a available. So if he says things are hinky recently in terms of getting actors on board: it's gotta really freaking bad.

If I didn't have my trips planned for back to NYC and Atlanta, and finding actors wasn't a problem, I'd sure as hell fly out to Ottawa to help out, but there's this whole timing thing we've got going on. Mike is definitely a director I'd love to work with and I share some of his consternation with finding the right people to work with.

Here in Canada the mindset amongst independent filmmakers is definitely different than from the states. Its something that you really don't get until you've experienced both sides like I have. Remember here in Toronto you can find gaffers who don't even have their own gear...

Nitsuj
02-01-2010, 05:21 PM
I started in on this thing late with an ambitious idea so that is why I am using my friends and family for the acting. This way I can torture them longer than I would be able to with people I haven't worked with before. Meaning longer nights and I can pay them off with a round of brew.

pixelated
02-01-2010, 06:05 PM

I'll second that.

It was a bitch for me just to rent a mic from them after they found out what I was shooting on.

Now that just sucks. Hell, your cred's good enough - I'll loan you a mic for free.

Understand the rant & feel the pain. Don't let it get you too down .. there's a lot of friends here rooting for you.

:beer::beer:

ZazaCast
02-01-2010, 06:12 PM
I had a good idea once.

Charli
02-01-2010, 06:55 PM
MAH - not trying to get on your ass just know that people are out there. Might be in the 'marketing' aspect. I had a lot of connections because I had college kids
work for me and plus I took a class down at the public tv station.

Also, people at the gym have great bodies and love to stand in front of the camera, lol.

All I know is that one door leads to another leads to another leads to another. Yes you've done well here, but with 800,000 people in your backyard, it's just hard to imagine you can't find a good DP or sound guy, a crew.

Keep ranting MAH, the universe will hear you! Send you some good people your way...

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-02-2010, 06:54 AM
Mike gets out and he makes films. And his scripts are all shootable. You know why? Because he knows his limitations and writes exactly for what he has a available. So if he says things are hinky recently in terms of getting actors on board: it's gotta really freaking bad.

If I didn't have my trips planned for back to NYC and Atlanta, and finding actors wasn't a problem, I'd sure as hell fly out to Ottawa to help out, but there's this whole timing thing we've got going on. Mike is definitely a director I'd love to work with and I share some of his consternation with finding the right people to work with.

Here in Canada the mindset amongst independent filmmakers is definitely different than from the states. Its something that you really don't get until you've experienced both sides like I have. Remember here in Toronto you can find gaffers who don't even have their own gear...
Thanks, Rodney.

Ottawa is just NOT a film making town, population doesn't matter, it's all about interest. I literally know everyone interested in film making around here, the pool is that small. Audition calls always produce the same faces and I can count them on a few hands.

Thanks to everyone else who sent some good vibes my way. Much appreciated.

I've done it alone in the past, I'll continue to do so in the future if I have to. I was just getting frustrated and decided to bitch and moan for a minute.

I just hope all the people talking the talk show me what they've got come Fest time. :evil:

MAH

Ki-Ki
02-02-2010, 07:04 AM
I have a horny 19 year old vampire?

Charli
02-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Ki-Ki - where do you keep this uh vampire?

ZazaCast
02-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Ki-Ki - where do you keep this uh vampire?

I don't know where he keeps her, but I believe he found her at the 24-hour gym!:grin:

Ki-Ki
02-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Sorry Charli, but that was award winning comedy at it's best.
The vampire's pinned up in my basement. I have stakes made of Garlic & she likes Toblerone.

Charli
02-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Here's the guy at the gym I use to see in Santa Cruz. I see he shaved off his mustache. Did I forget to mention when he was in his mid 50s he went to Mr. Universe and was the only American that placed that year.

Nice guy, but instead of acting he stayed a cop, good for him. Go to the gym, you never know what talent you might find.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/11424/1265133205.jpg

Rodney V. Smith
02-02-2010, 10:01 AM
And being ripped is grounds for being a GOOD actor? Come on Charli: get serious here. WHile your dude there may be a good actor or not, we try to do a lot better than just picking the next guy on the street. Mike gets good solid talent in front of the camera every single time, no amateurs, no unknowns. THe more unknowns you have and the more "settling for what is avaialble" you have to do, the worse your end product becomes.

Mike, just like most of the rest of us have gone through the "use your friends" stage and it has more often than not been disastrous. None of us wants to go backward.

Forwards ever, backwards never.

The gym: definitely backwards.

We have our methods of finding talent and though some of it may be few and far between, there is no way we're ever going to go to production with sub-standard talent. Not even if they went to Mr Universe.

Charli
02-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Rod - he was offered a televsion series. He was the spokesman for recruiting for the sheriff's department, he was doing commercials for them all of the time. He also did a stint on a reality based investigative show where he had to 'reenact' the situation.

He's ripped AND talented, but he chose to be a cop. All I am saying there is 'natural' talent out there too, you'd be surprised where you'd find it. Sometimes,
it's just not in the normal 'wanna-be' actor's pool. That's all I'm saying.

Rodney V. Smith
02-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Like I said: I didn't know this guys and you neglected to mention details.
However California is not representative of the rest of the world. Come to Toronto, go up to Ottawa and maybe a dose of perspective will wake you up to the reality of what we're telling you. We're not lazy filmmakers. We use our resources and use them well.. but sometimes they're just not that available.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Charli, enough already. I'll go get my gym membership ASAP. Sheeesh.

Rodney V. Smith
02-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Mike I swear: if you are responsible for the next Schwartzenegger... you'd better call me.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Mike I swear: if you are responsible for the next Schwartzenegger... you'd better call me.Nope, but I think I just found my new DOP! Just don't piss her off.

http://www.ttfatloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/a-women-bodybuilder-trainwreck-16.jpg

Rodney V. Smith
02-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Nope, but I think I just found my new DOP! Just don't piss her off.

http://www.ttfatloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/a-women-bodybuilder-trainwreck-16.jpg

I think you're going to need a bigger camera...

j1clark@ucsd.edu
02-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Mike I swear: if you are responsible for the next Schwartzenegger... you'd better call me.

Perhaps the next fest can be 'The Barbarian'... no speaking role required...

Russell Moore
02-02-2010, 12:02 PM
OMG...that pic...why?! I don't feel right. See, thats why I don't go to the gym and workout...really, it is, really. Otherwise I'd be in awesome shape. I'm serious.

Seriously Mike, I thought I might have a helpful suggestion, frrrrrt. Not so, as it turns out.
I was going to suggest Nextcat(kind of a Facebook for film/tv talent etc.) and do a search under Actors. I tried it, boy you weren't kidding.

I searched my area Grand Rapids, Mi...432 actors came up.

Ottawa...2. Two?! Geez.

I can attest to the fact that Mike has too many good ideas floating around atm. I've read a few of those scripts and they were very good.

Keep your head up Mike. I'm sending some positive vibes out to ya.

Charli
02-02-2010, 01:03 PM
MAH - ooooo, love gym dudes!

ZazaCast
02-02-2010, 01:07 PM
I hear you can view a bunch of headshots at the post office... have you ever thought of that Charli?

(it's usually next to the gym) :engel017:

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-02-2010, 01:25 PM
OMG...that pic...why?! I don't feel right. See, thats why I don't go to the gym and workout...really, it is, really. Otherwise I'd be in awesome shape. I'm serious.

Seriously Mike, I thought I might have a helpful suggestion, frrrrrt. Not so, as it turns out.
I was going to suggest Nextcat(kind of a Facebook for film/tv talent etc.) and do a search under Actors. I tried it, boy you weren't kidding.

I searched my area Grand Rapids, Mi...432 actors came up.

Ottawa...2. Two?! Geez.

I can attest to the fact that Mike has too many good ideas floating around atm. I've read a few of those scripts and they were very good.

Keep your head up Mike. I'm sending some positive vibes out to ya.
Thanks, man. I really appreciate that.
Maybe I should switch entirely to writing and see if I can get some talented people with resources to bring them to production?

BTW, one of those two isn't even an actor.
And the other one has had no work in years according to her credits. :)

MAH

Charli
02-02-2010, 03:15 PM
ZaZa - lol, true story I was at the FBI headquarters taking a tour there in Washington DC and the tour guide said the their "Most Wanted" poster, a
visitor yelled out, "that's my neighbor" and sure enough, it was a neighbor! So she then asked us to take a real close look at the photos - ha ha ha.

I felt bad for the neighbor.

Kegan
02-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Hey Mike,

You definitely make some good movies. Don't let the lack of actors get you down. Don't stop or switch just to writing either.

I don't really know what its like out there in Ottawa but I come across a bunch of different actors on at least a weekly basis. They aren't all good, but the point is I'm out there and meeting them. You have a wife and a daughter and a career - a little harder for you to do networking in the film industry I suppose.

The gym has been hit or miss for me. I've met some cool people for sure, but not always have they been beneficial to my productions. You never know though...actors, cameraman, producers - they're all regular people and go to the gym whenever they can.

Anyway, best of luck and if I can help in anyway feel free to shoot me a PM,

Kegan

Charli
02-02-2010, 04:01 PM
The gal who writes the blog, "Totally Unauthorized" always seems to hit the gym. It's a great social network place, even if don't get a lead actor, there's lots of extras who'd be willing to just sit and shoot the breeze on set for a day. Really nice folk.

MSpencer
02-03-2010, 05:22 AM
I don't know why there's so much talk about gyms. I'm not a fan of them talent or not... Haha

Denis Haineault
03-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Hi Mike,

I'm (kinda) always available for lending a hand if you feel I can be of assistance. Also, I could even give a shot at acting, but I've never done it before -- so, absolutely no guarantees that I could pull it off, even just a little bit.