PDA

View Full Version : Scriptfest VII - Hitchcock Fest

Isaac_Brody
02-01-2010, 08:10 AM
http://www.isaacbrody.com/scriptfest/scriptfest7hitchcockfest.jpg

Isaac_Brody
02-01-2010, 08:20 AM
When creating threads for your script you must create a logline and poster for your project.

jasonthewho
02-02-2010, 12:55 AM
This one I might have to enter...

For further clarification on a MacGuffin I looked at Wikipedia's example list. It might be helpful to others:

The top secret plans in The 39 Steps (1935).
The eponymous statuette in The Maltese Falcon (1941).
The letters of transit in Casablanca (1942).
The uranium in Notorious (1946).
The case with glowing contents in Kiss Me Deadly (1955).
The "government secrets" in North by Northwest (1959).
The stolen $40,000 in Psycho (1960).
The stamps in Charade (1963).
The Death Star plans in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977).
The Ark of the Covenant in Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981).
The unknown, glowing contents of the briefcase in Pulp Fiction (1994).
The Rabbit's Foot in Mission: Impossible III (2006).
The chest in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006).
The Allspark in Transformers (2007).
The Russian painting in RocknRolla (2008).
The sculpted head from Ponte Santa Trinita in Miracle at St. Anna (2008).
The silver briefcase in Jack Said (2009).
The unobtanium in Avatar (2009).

Jackson Miller
02-02-2010, 04:41 AM
Wait but what if all of my characters are vegan? Do I still have to include a McMuffin?

Captain Pierce
02-02-2010, 05:19 AM
Yes, but you can leave off the canadian bacon. :D

Chris_Keaton
02-02-2010, 05:20 AM
Man! I just got beat to death over having another McGuffin in my short and now I have to have one. Well I guess it can't be too hard. :)

Mailliw87
02-02-2010, 05:37 AM
cool! that's quick..Hmmz, moviepoet AND scriptfest, hm hm
Thanks for the McGuffin list...

McMuffin..ahahah :D

Charli
02-02-2010, 06:03 AM
Dang, Isaac, this is like waaaaay out there to pull off a Hitchcockesque quality script. Dang.

Another Mcguffen - briefcase in Ronin

2500 post talking about Hitchcock - oh yeah!

DarkElastic
02-02-2010, 06:31 AM
Nice call Isaac... I have some research to do...

Classic Movie watching time!!!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Just remember, the MacGuffin doesn't have to steal the show. The money in Psycho is a great example of just that.
Towards the middle nobody was thinking about the money anymore.

This could be fun.

MAH

Isaac_Brody
02-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Just remember, the MacGuffin doesn't have to steal the show. The money in Psycho is a great example of just that.

Great point. It's up to you, it kicks the plot into gear but you have no obligation to bring it back into the story later on. :thumbup:

Chris_Keaton
02-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Maybe I should just resubmit the better version of 'Educated Mouse Trap'.

I'm kidding.

Captain Pierce
02-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Hey, I just read the Wiki article on the MacGuffin, and looking at the "See also" list toward the bottom, I have to ask--can the next Fest be about alien space bats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_space_bats)? :D

j1clark@ucsd.edu
02-02-2010, 10:54 AM

This could be fun.

MAH

Technically, both the money and Marion are gone by the the middle of the movie... so were they both 'mcguffinesque'...

Michael Anthony Horrigan
02-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Technically, both the money and Marion are gone by the the middle of the movie... so were they both 'mcguffinesque'...
Yes, but they were still talking about her and looking for her. The original MacGuffin (money) wasn't even an issue anymore.

Gohanto
02-02-2010, 02:43 PM
The unobtanium in Avatar (2009).

By far, my favorite name for a macguffin ever.

j1clark@ucsd.edu
02-02-2010, 03:09 PM
By far, my favorite name for a macguffin ever.

Yeah, apparently it was so mcguffinesque that even the writer didn't think to go back an put in a 'better' name...

j1clark@ucsd.edu
02-02-2010, 03:12 PM
I think the statue in "Maltese Falcon"(1941), is a McGuffin... then there's "The Black Bird"(1975)... where the whole movie may be a McGuffin...

Charli
02-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Maltese Falcon I think is probably the most famous McGuffin.

btw, Isaac, I want to thank you for making the next script fest on such a 'lighter' more fun note, GAH! ha ha, oh dang.

Gohanto
02-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Yeah, apparently it was so mcguffinesque that even the writer didn't think to go back an put in a 'better' name...

Nonsense, even in real life elements we have elements and molecules named ridiculous things...

Moronic Acid
Erotic Acid
Dogcollarane
Draculin
Americium
Einsteinium
Californium

Yes, those are all the "technical names" we have named stuff...

Anthony Todaro
02-02-2010, 10:27 PM
I smell paradox... One cannot produce a cliche free script, that embodies an auteur director's films. Celluloid had allot to do with it. Herrmann... Immense amounts to do with the Hitch vibe we all know and love.

Robert Bloch, Steinbeck, Ben Hecht... These were Hitch's muses. So the question is, do we emulate Hitch or do we emulate a story that Hitch would have wanted to direct?

I'm the biggest Hitch fan on the block, but I don't want to write a knock-off. Scorcese did it, and with flying colors I might add..with "Key to Reserva" how do I top that? Lol.

Not saying anyone's forcing me, lol, and not trying to rain on the parade, I love it here. I just feel weird dipping my toes in that water, respectfully.

I guess a thriller with a MacGuffin doesn't have to be a Hitchcock knock-off... Maybe I just got all excited about the title "Hitchcock" fest... I mean, "In Cold Blood" would qualify... the Asprin was the Macguffin right.. or was it the lengths of rope... Or Citizen Kane, or of course, The Third Man would totally count... On those grounds...

Count me in, no left-field alien ending either, I promise! =)

PastePotPete
02-03-2010, 02:18 AM
Unobtainium is a real term. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium

REHov520
02-03-2010, 03:40 PM
i'm happy to see that the limit has been pushed back to 10 pages

j1clark@ucsd.edu
02-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Nonsense, even in real life elements we have elements and molecules named ridiculous things...

Moronic Acid
Erotic Acid
Dogcollarane
Draculin
Americium
Einsteinium
Californium

Yes, those are all the "technical names" we have named stuff...

'unobtainium' is a 'joke' element... a placeholder at best... whereas those compounds and elements you list are 'real', and in some cases 'corruptions' of their official names...

In the Periodic Table of the Elements, elements which are as yet unnamed, are give 'un' names... not be because they are 'unnamed', but 'un-un-N' is their period table indice number spelt out in grecolatinesque form... that is 1-1-N
for elements with indices of 113-119... that is ununtrium, to ununneeum...

Note: apparently someone else noted the jokeness of 'unobtainium'...

Nitsuj
02-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Is this an indication of what the next dvxfest will be? I see it says 6-10 pages which leads me to believe it isn't going to be since there was a discussion that it wouldn't go over 6 minutes. Either way this looks great. I have an idea that would fit perfect with this. Now the trick will be finding the time between my dvxfest entry and this.

polfilmblog
02-04-2010, 11:21 AM
"When creating threads for your script you must create a logline and poster for your project."

You know -- posters are created by quite another department. A logline, maybe I can see (not that it should have any bearing on the script competition), but a poster?

What screenwriters are getting stuff sold with poster art? Any examples?

Jackson Miller
02-04-2010, 02:14 PM
They used Unobtanium as an homage to older sci fi movies. It has been used numerous times in the past. Read the wiki article.

Isaac_Brody
02-05-2010, 07:52 AM
You know -- posters are created by quite another department. A logline, maybe I can see (not that it should have any bearing on the script competition), but a poster?

What screenwriters are getting stuff sold with poster art? Any examples?

Yes I know, but it's a good exercise to create a poster out of your title just like a logline helps nail down your story. I'm using this so people take their loglines and then create posters that help create a little mystery and teaser for their scripts. Perhaps people will find that their title and script are confusing and hard to define which will force them to think about it more. It's meant to be helpful but also fun. And in the event that a script is used for a potential future DVXfest a poster will be available.

There tends to be a separation between writers and production, that's just the hierarchy of a set. However I think there's a lot to be gained if a writer would think like a producer for a moment and question whether their idea or script can easily be turned into a logline or put onto a poster that entices people to want to see it.

Charli
02-05-2010, 05:27 PM
My poster on "Johnny Angel" was the photo of the album from "Evil Angel" by Breaking Benjamin. My poster for "My Partner, Baby" was just a jpeg of a badge
I found on a google search. I just put them both on paint shop pro and added a title and tagline.

TimCollins
02-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Oh man, this is gonna be a challenge to create a story in the vein of Hitchcock in under 10 pages. Looking forward to it though. :happy:

Chris_Keaton
02-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Yes I know, but it's a good exercise to create a poster out of your title just like a logline helps nail down your story. I'm using this so people take their loglines and then create posters that help create a little mystery and teaser for their scripts. Perhaps people will find that their title and script are confusing and hard to define which will force them to think about it more. It's meant to be helpful but also fun. And in the event that a script is used for a potential future DVXfest a poster will be available.

There tends to be a separation between writers and production, that's just the hierarchy of a set. However I think there's a lot to be gained if a writer would think like a producer for a moment and question whether their idea or script can easily be turned into a logline or put onto a poster that entices people to want to see it.

I can totally think visually, so this isn't a challenge. Learning how to use the tools to make the poster is. :)

Isaac_Brody
02-06-2010, 03:41 PM
It doesn't have to be photoshopped. You can totally upload a chicken scrawl drawing. I just want to see proof of a concept that's all.

Anthony Todaro
02-06-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm wondering if posters will be part of the judging?

Isaac_Brody
02-06-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm wondering if posters will be part of the judging?

Not at all. Just the scripts.

Charli
02-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Chris - Issac said "chicken scrawl drawing" would work, maybe I can find you a chicken that can draw, it's Hollywood out here, ya never know.

Chris_Keaton
02-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Chris - Issac said "chicken scrawl drawing" would work, maybe I can find you a chicken that can draw, it's Hollywood out here, ya never know.

I think I know how to operate Photoshop more than I do a chicken.

Gohanto
02-07-2010, 12:12 PM
I think I know how to operate Photoshop more than I do a chicken.

Well, you need to learn something on every project don't you....

mookid
02-07-2010, 12:32 PM
I think the name of this fest is a bit misleading because movies like "reservoir dogs" had a mcguffin but weren't very hitchcockesque. tarantino even said that he hates A.H.

Chris_Keaton
02-07-2010, 12:49 PM
It's a Hitchcock fest with a required element being a McGuffin and poster.

Anthony Todaro
02-07-2010, 02:41 PM
It's a Hitchcock fest with a required element being a McGuffin and poster.

Well, I beg to differ sugar muffin.:2vrolijk_08: The title of the fest is Hfest, yes, but...
Nowhere in the requirements does it imply or state, anything needs to be Hitchcockian. I kinda ranted about that, earlier...

GENRE: Suspense/Thriller
REQUIREMENTS: Must have a MacGuffin, Concept poster (not judged thanks for the clarification Isaac =)

So really this could just as well be the Carol Reed or Orsen Wells fest or even, QT fest.
I prefer the title, Thrillerfest, but I'm a sucker for purity. :lipsrseal

Now I really would love to learn how to operate a chicken or even better operate on a chicken....

Mailliw87
02-09-2010, 11:31 AM
genre requierment!?!?! totally missed that, aiming for moviepoet then.. me hates writing for a set genre. mindlocks me !

KhamIsk
02-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Hi, I'm new here. Thinking I may come up with something for this one.

Question (I'm sure was asked before...) - what if I have a script that fits the requirements, can I submit it?

Isaac_Brody
02-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Hi, I'm new here. Thinking I may come up with something for this one.

Question (I'm sure was asked before...) - what if I have a script that fits the requirements, can I submit it?

Nope has to be an original piece written for this and within the time frame.

KhamIsk
02-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks.

Tom Shortridge
02-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Quick question - is 6 pages a "hard" minimum, or a guideline?

arroway
02-11-2010, 04:52 PM
It's a requirement, not a guideline.

Tom Shortridge
02-11-2010, 08:24 PM
It's a requirement, not a guideline.

Righto. Thanks.

Back to the drawing board for a meatier story.

arroway
02-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about minimums. Pretty
sure there is no minimum requirement.

KhamIsk
02-15-2010, 09:39 AM
How to create a poster? I've never done this before.

Anthony Todaro
02-15-2010, 07:58 PM
How to create a poster? I've never done this before.

The poster is not going to be judged, it can be "chicken scrawl". Just for concept. I bet a clever photograph with some text might count.... :thumbsup:

KhamIsk
02-16-2010, 12:07 AM
The poster is not going to be judged, it can be "chicken scrawl". Just for concept. I bet a clever photograph with some text might count.... :thumbsup:

I can do that! Thanks.

pauly_the_hitman
02-17-2010, 10:55 AM
I might have to do some thinking about this and maybe submit. I could use some writing practice been awhile...

Nemesis TS
02-19-2010, 04:54 AM
Perhaps people will find that their title and script are confusing and hard to define which will force them to think about it more. It's meant to be helpful but also fun.

If a script is confusing and hard to define, I don't think a poster will help. I get the fun aspect of it though.

I hope the next filmfest runs in this same category too. I couldn't write a Hitchcock style movie, but it would be cool to try and make one that someone else did.

Isaac_Brody
02-19-2010, 12:08 PM
If a script is confusing and hard to define, I don't think a poster will help. I get the fun aspect of it though.

That's the whole purpose of a logline and poster. If your script is hard to define or something that only you can understand that should tell you something and put up a big red flag.

Anthony Todaro
02-27-2010, 01:01 AM
CURRENTLY:
Hamster wheels are spinning at break-neck speeds

Russell Moore
02-27-2010, 02:06 PM
My hamster wheel is stalled at the moment. I have an idea, not sure if it's going to come together in time.

Michael Carter
03-04-2010, 10:22 AM
OK, I managed to squeeze my script down to 10 pages... which even gave me a log line:

"Ten Pages??? Damn, I'm Verbose!"

Anyway - never submitted before... so, I make a new thread and upload a poster like any image... then where does the PDF go? Thanks!

DarkElastic
03-04-2010, 01:32 PM
An upload page will be added after the specified date.

Isaac_Brody
03-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Upload date has been pushed this Saturday to give more time for people to polish.

polfilmblog
03-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Why no upload page?

It's the 11th.

Michael Carter
03-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Look up one post... saturday...

polfilmblog
03-11-2010, 03:01 PM
But it doesn't make any sense to push back the date you put the upload page UP, only the date you take the upload page DOWN.

When is that date?

Michael Carter
03-11-2010, 03:04 PM
yeah, my saturday is a ZOO, would like to get it up & done... after all that time I spent on my poster, hate to miss the deadline...

And is it just one day to upload scripts???

Isaac_Brody
03-11-2010, 09:17 PM
I will post upload instructions tomorrow for those done and itching to get it in. You will still have until Saturday night at 11:59PM to upload. But please don't upload four different versions, that will just slow things down on our end. Instead take the time to polish it and submit one.

DarkElastic
03-13-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm really hoping we get a little more scripts entered than the interest shown so far, or we will have a small number of entries. I did actually think that the promise of a prize would get more people involved... obviously not!

We will see in the next few days. But I can't see us getting many more than 10 entered, so far :-(

KhamIsk
03-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Uploaded mine. Hope there are no problems.

Michael Carter
03-13-2010, 10:26 AM
I uploaded this morning as well - thanks Isaac.

seansshack
03-13-2010, 11:32 AM
getting ready to upload before the deadline.

Chris_Keaton
03-13-2010, 12:17 PM
The pressure got to 'em. But really we might get a bunch of last minute entries. Or they were afraid of the poster thing. Don't really believe that last one, because there are a bunch of people happy to make a poster. Hell that's how I got one.

seansshack
03-13-2010, 01:30 PM
I did actually think that the promise of a prize would get more people involved... obviously not!

Is there a prize this time?

DarkElastic
03-13-2010, 04:59 PM
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=198712

Tom Shortridge
03-13-2010, 05:38 PM
To clarify - midnight Pacific time?

seansshack
03-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Cool, but what are the prizes?

DarkElastic
03-13-2010, 06:56 PM
No idea... Maybe some used chewing gum? A 2" note pad? Breath freshener?

We'll have to wait and see, I suppose.

MML
03-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Funny, my confidence is so low on my entry that I totally forgot there were prizes. :P

Tom Shortridge
03-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Uploaded... I think.

Isaac_Brody
03-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Pacific Time deadline though if you get it in before larry wakes up and closes it I won't say anything. :)

Chris_Keaton
03-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Looks like we did get a few more takers. Let's get this party started. Yeee-Haw! I know the yee-haw was a little over the top.

DarkElastic
03-14-2010, 09:35 AM
I know the yee-haw was a little over the top.

Just a little... What does a donkey have to do with a script fest, anyway? :huh::thumbsup:

Tom Shortridge
03-14-2010, 09:44 AM
So what are we thinking - maybe 10 scripts made it in?

Isaac_Brody
03-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Prizes will be screenwriting related. Of course. :)

gandalfrodo
05-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Wait but what if all of my characters are vegan? Do I still have to include a McMuffin?

Hilarious

odetotud
05-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Was wondering if a new script fest would be starting any time soon??

Chris_Keaton
05-27-2010, 04:37 PM
I doubt it.

Anthony Todaro
05-27-2010, 08:17 PM
How about SCRIPTFEAST instead... We can all eat our words!