PDA

View Full Version : Film Roll Out/Cam Coming to Sync Speed F/X

Brett_Erskine
11-16-2004, 11:51 PM
Reposting question here - Im trying to emulate the look you get when you have a film roll out and the ramping flash effect that happens when film is coming up to speed in the camera.

I figure the most natural way to get it would be to get my hand on some telecined footage that was shooting a green screen during a roll out or cam coming to speed. I would just remove the green screen and replace it with my clip. But I dont have any footage of a blank green screen under these conditions.

Perhaps there are already plug ins or libraries out there with canned layers that will do this automatically but if not I figure Im going to have to create it from scratch in post.

I'd love to have this as a automatic preset and drop it on the clips I want to change.

Whats comercially available or what would the procedure be in Vegas/After Effects to make this happen?

Thanks guys

Brett Erskine

hawks66
11-17-2004, 12:29 PM
Digi Effects- Delirium Bundle has a plugin called Film Flash, which is what i think you are referring too.

try putting a white solid over your footage, putting its blend mode on classic color dodge, and changing the opacity, along with a blur??? i think this is what you are going for?

Encheval
11-18-2004, 10:16 AM
Brett, if you already have real film footage you can easily use it event though it was not shot against Green Screen, just by playing with transfert modes and keyframed opacity will do (i do it all the time using Clutter stock shots)

Nico

HansK
11-19-2004, 01:59 PM
Check out Rich Lee's video. I think he's doing the effect you want at the end of the video:

http://www.dvxuser.com/cgi-bin/DVX2/YaBB.pl?board=Clips;action=display;num=1094613474

If so then IM him. He knows his stuff.

11-20-2004, 01:01 PM
hawks66-
Yeah thats very very close to what Im looking for. I was really hoping that it would also create some random burned in sections in the frame just like a film camera does as the film bounces around inside the gate until tention and sync speed is achieved. Roll outs have alot of this effect too. Hard to explain unless you have seen it first hand.

Encheval-
I'll see what I can do with what I have. It surprises me that I would be able to seperate the "film flash" effect from the subject so it can be reapplied to new footage.

Hans-
Thanks for the link. Yeah he really knows his stuff. I checked out the end of the video and actually that is the effect you would get if the film PROJECTOR was out of sync - not a camera coming to speed. Great video though.