PDA

View Full Version : Afx and 16:9

Jestorius
09-01-2004, 03:33 AM
If you start a new 16:9 project (PAL) and import an anamorphic 16:9 video to the timeline, why is it 4:3? I have to scale the video to fit. Is any propeties I have to use to have it right?

Topper
12-06-2004, 10:21 AM
I could really do with an answer to this question too - surely someone must know?

kai
12-06-2004, 11:30 AM
Setup your composition as anamorphic (16:9).

Import your footage into the bin as you normally would. After Effects will interpret it as 4:3 automatically (unless you've changed it).

Now, in your bin, control+click on your footage (right click on PC), and choose "interpret footage>main" (apple+F)

Now, this is the window that tells after effects how to handle your footage (alpha channels, fields, pulldown, aspect).

In the "other options" section, under pixel aspect ratio, set it to Widescreen. Do this to all your anamorphic clips you import. Now, when you drop it into your widescreen timeline, it will display properly

Bada boom, bada bing :)

Topper
12-06-2004, 02:15 PM
Thank-you very much Kai, thats helped me a lot.

Why does AE have such a stupid and obscure way of handling 16:9 though? Why would anyone set up a 16:9 comp and wand to edit it compressed into 4:3 so they can't see what they're doing properly.

Hope the next version of AE makes this simpler.

Topper
12-10-2004, 12:43 PM
I got my xl2 today and I've followed these instructions to the letter and it doesnt work? When I import the footage, in the bin AE says its 720x576 widescreen 1.42, which it is, but just shows it as 4:3 when I try to use it. Any idea what could be wrong?
Sometimes it just squashes it 4:3, and others the yellow footage border is a 16:9 shape, but the footage is still 4:3 within it, leaving the sides empty.

I took a screenshot of this, but I don't know how to post it here.

Topper
12-12-2004, 06:16 AM
BUMP

Surely someone must know how to do this? I really need to know urgently.