PDA

View Full Version : 3D photo

infokill
12-12-2004, 12:40 PM
i once found a tutorial on how to make a person or object in a photo "pop" out while the camera is slightly turning. its kinda like a pop up book effect that is used in a lot of Doc.'s now a days. i look in creative cow but had no luck. anyone know where i can find this or can tell me how to do this?

-Thanks

Kirk Gillock
12-13-2004, 08:55 AM
I am no expert but I think you'll need to create two layers in AE and use the 3d option.

- The 1st layer should be a Photoshop File of the object you want to pop out (with no background).
- The 2nd layer should be the photo without the object you want to pop out (use the clone tool to fill in the negative space, maybe).
- Next, on your time line, click the 3d box for each layer. This will create a 3d virutal space.
- The next thing to do is create a camera. Right click in the timeline and select New/Camera.
- Now change the 3d position of your 1st layer (the object) by clicking "transform" and adjusting the "position" coordinates (the last set of coordinates, 0.0 ). Adjust to your liking.

- Once you have the "pop up" look you like you'll want to animate it. Reset the coordinates, click the stopwatch to set a keyframe, and then move up the timeline a few seconds. Adjust the coordinates to your liking and another keyframe will automatically be added.
- When animated this should look as though the object in the photo is popping up.

If you want more of a 3d look then rotate the camera so you look at the other 2 layers from a slight angle. You can get some really interesting looks by moving the camera. You can also add a light or some drop shadows. But I hope this gets you started.

Good luck!!
P.K. Gillock

kai
12-13-2004, 12:45 PM
Here's an example of the effect (i think) you're referring to.. This is a small clip from an intro i'm working on.

http://www.kylestauffer.com/dvx/3dintro.mov (31MB)

infokill
12-13-2004, 05:50 PM
P.K thanks SOO much!
and Kai........can i have your autograph? :o