PDA

View Full Version : NXCam and Z5 same?

Hidef1080
01-29-2010, 07:49 AM
I'm thinking about the Sony NXCam and I believe this new camera has the very same chips and lens as the Sony Z5 HDV camera.

If AVCHD is a better codec than HDV and if the chips and lens are the same would it be safe to say that the images would be the same under normal shooting conditions?
Same sharpness, same resolution and same color....?

Ron Evans
01-31-2010, 05:42 AM
The lens isn't the same since the NX5 has the Active image stabilization which has different moving lens elements. AVCHD will provide a better encode than HDV so most of the time the recorded picture should actually be better than the Z5. There may be other improvements to the DSP too as the SD/HDi output is full 4:2:2 10 bit that may also not be the case for the Z5 since I have not seen any data that says the HDMI on the Z5 has a similar output.

I think there is a very good chance that the NX5 will always be better than the Z5. It will certainly be better than my FX1 so will be my next camera soon !!!

Ron Evans

vegas06
01-31-2010, 11:54 AM
The cameras should be almost identical with the points that were made being valid. AVCHD will give you true 1920x1080 images, and the only reason that I am leaning towards the Z5 over the NX5 is that I still like the archival nature of tape. That and I don't have to transcode the HDV fooatge from the MRC1K to edit.
Working in FCP I would have to transcode to ProRes as I don't have a choice as FCP won't even attempt to edit native AVCHD. =(

But I will say that the NX5 and prosumer AX2000 look like a great combo.

robertrogoz
02-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Working in FCP I would have to transcode to ProRes as I don't have a choice as FCP won't even attempt to edit native AVCHD. =(

That's not entirely true- FCP will edit H.264, which essentially is AVCHD. Clipwrap will re-wrap AVCHD into H.264, however it's much easier just to transcode
http://www.clipwrap.com/overview.php

hazydave
04-01-2010, 11:17 AM
That's not entirely true- FCP will edit H.264, which essentially is AVCHD. Clipwrap will re-wrap AVCHD into H.264, however it's much easier just to transcode
http://www.clipwrap.com/overview.php

AVC, H.264, and MPEG-4 Part 10 are exactly the same thing. But not a complete specification.

AVCHD includes AVC for video, AC-3 for audio, in an MPEG-2 Transport Stream wrapper. That, and various bitrate limits, are what makes it a complete specification. Most of the "raw" MPEG standards are more along the lines of "spec generators"... you tap MPEG-2, and out come DVD, HDV, ATSC, etc.

I take it from what you're suggesting that FCP will edit MPEG-4 containers with AVC video and, well, some kind of audio. The MPEG-4 container evolved out of the Quicktime container, so that's pretty likely why Apple supports it.... though MPEG-2 TS is pretty common, too, as the basis for HDV, ATSC, etc.

It's probably more common for a "pure MPEG-4" file to use AAC for audio, rather than AC-3. The AVCHD specifications were derived from the Blu-Ray spec.. thus, the MPEG-2 TS container and AC-3 audio format, as well as the goofy file structure.

Cranky
04-01-2010, 11:31 AM
NXCAM should be better than Z5, knowing that Sony's implementation of HDV is not very good, and that its implementation of AVCHD is, on contrary, quite good.

HiDef, don't you own the HMC150? Why do you what to change horses?