PDA

View Full Version : Dreamlike special effect

David_Clough
01-16-2005, 07:28 PM
I have been trying to get a workaround for this effect http://www.glassworks.co.uk/search_archive/jobs/dreamkeeper/ I have AE6.5 and looking to do something similar to help a friend with a dream sequence in his movie.I know on this site they use twixtor but I thought maybe I could do something with what I have.

Young-H._Lee
01-16-2005, 07:46 PM
wow amazing...a lot of it looks like very advanced particle effects, not sure if it would be possible to re create those effects with a simple plugin, I could be wrong?

monte
01-17-2005, 12:04 PM
From now on, for my sake, can we just refer to this as "The Peyote Effect"?

Rich Lee
01-17-2005, 03:51 PM
they call it optical flow. its all about using motion vectors to push and pull pixels around based on the flow of the vectors.

if you have RE:motion blur...try applying it to a clip, and using a clip of fire or smoke or anything wispy to use as the motion that RE:MB uses for the blur effect. the cool stuff happnes when you key out colors or hotspots and do seperate passes of blur to each one of them. the other cool stuff to do, is to actualy build your own particle effects and use the motion from them...an even cooler thing to do is to recreate the stuff you shot in 3d space, so that you can have parrticles emitt form those surfaces to uses as motion vector elements...its all cool stuff, but kinda hard, and takes a while to do...

heres a quick little test i did. i used a fire and smoke element to drive the blurs horizonaly through the frame.

http://www.rich-lee.com/temp/opticalflowtests_CD.mov

thats just about 5 minutes of work...spend more time with it and you can get some cool looking stuff. it will take a lot to get anything like whats in dreamkeeper or what dreams may come.

Amahp
01-17-2005, 03:56 PM
Reminds me of that Lord of the Rings look.. ;D

Rich Lee
01-17-2005, 04:07 PM
Reminds me of that Lord of the Rings look.. ;D

yup, same sort of thing...optical flow...

David_Clough
01-20-2005, 08:37 PM
thanks Rich I will give that a try tonight.

ma'
02-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Was just wonering how your dream sequence turned out and what you ended up using in the end, David. I've started to look into different kinds of motion blurs for a running sequence that I'm currently working on. And it would therefore be cool to see what you produced.

Also, does anyone know where you can find documentation for Glasswork's Dreamkeeper effect?

surf
02-05-2006, 01:30 PM
well it looks like a bluescreen shot with that time trail effect on, and some mist or cloud effects on the ground with a bluish-green cc on it, and clouds up.

environment might be done in a 3D program.

ops, I am just reading the technicals...

Matt Grunau
02-06-2006, 06:45 AM
That can be done in After Effects using displacement maps, blur maps, and any form Widetime/Echo. The key is to find the right footage to use for the displacement. FIre, particles, whatever. I have done many things similar, and have had the best luck with many blurs and displacements using the same element with different amounts of blur, layered. You will need to do some simple mask rotoscoping with a feather to keep the desired portion of your subect layer intact.

This is another example of why something simple like Particle Illusion can be a godsend.

EDIT: After watching the video a few more times, it looks like the most accurate way to replucate this effects wold be to create 3D models of your characters, and in you 3D software, set up the entire model (or whichever portions you like) to generate particles, as well as acting as a collision object. Then, you animate your model to match the movement of the subject (I don't think you would have to be exact though, since it wont really be acting as a digital double, just an emitter) and by choosing the correct behavior (and forces applied to) of the particles, you get your displacement footage. Then, you use that footage as a displacement, blur, and effect layer for your main, and blend the now altered main onto another copy of the original. Since it is all keyed footage, rotoing your subject out would be even eaisier.

That's one !@&# of a workaround, but it would look awsome. Clear as mud?

Thankee

jackal2513
02-24-2006, 09:00 AM
this is best as a 3d driven effect .... we did some very similar stuff for the latest harry potter film. You have to drive the motion of the particles off of matchmoved 3d meshes of the characters... that way it moves in proper correspondence to the movement of the actual real element in Z space as well as x and y.

surf
02-24-2006, 12:57 PM
did you use Maya Live?

jackal2513
02-26-2006, 01:53 AM
we used maya but i understand that the particle generation was proprietary in-house software

Matt Grunau
02-26-2006, 10:32 AM
this is best as a 3d driven effect .... we did some very similar stuff for the latest harry potter film. You have to drive the motion of the particles off of matchmoved 3d meshes of the characters... that way it moves in proper correspondence to the movement of the actual real element in Z space as well as x and y.

as well as being able to be used as a collision object to further interact with the particles.

surf: You can use maya, and you can use pretty much any other 3D app out there, like 3D Max, Lightwave, Cinema 4D, Softimage, or Houdini (which would REALLY get the job done right).

Much of the use of that type of particle system is to distort existing visual info, so even programs like Lightwave (not exactly known for its particle excellence) would work, because the particles themselves don't need to be great visually, and would get tweaked in compositng software before final application to get them just right.

surf
02-26-2006, 11:37 AM
well I wanted to tell that Maya Live is able to detect 3D motion, and I wanted to know if they used Maya Live to detect the motion (in a blue box/screen)

Matt Grunau
02-26-2006, 11:48 AM
well I wanted to tell that Maya Live is able to detect 3D motion, and I wanted to know if they used Maya Live to detect the motion (in a blue box/screen)

ahh, I see.

It would be good to know if you can use maya live with a bluesreen, but you probably have to have a more conventional "ping pong ball" type setup and suit.

If you don't, that would be really great though.

surf
02-26-2006, 11:51 AM
"ping pong ball" =ye, if you mean those red/yellow balls (sometimes crosses) on the blue wall.

jackal2513
02-26-2006, 01:44 PM
oopps, sorry misread your post. No, maya "live" was not used and is never used for any tracking as Boujou is many many times superior.

surf
02-27-2006, 10:06 AM
I see thanks.
I have asked because, I have used it as 3D tracking, and it worked well for me; of course I have done my 3D scene in maya, and it was just right there, so I have used it