PDA

View Full Version : square or rectangular pixels

edmessina
01-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Here is the quandry. I already know that my computer screeen uses square pixels and TV uses rectangular pixels. Here is the question:
I shoot with DVX100a in 24pA mode, capture and import into AE 6.5 pro. I use the "interpret footage" menu and click best guess 24pA pulldown button, square pixels. I create a composition with specs which include square pixels, edit it, etc and render it with best quality and microsoft dv ntsc 48khz. The subsequent avi is then pulled into Vegas 5.0 and incorporated into a project. Here is the kicker... the rendering. What settings in Vegas if I want to eventually use it on a computer screen vs on a composite TV screen?

Rich Lee
01-22-2005, 09:40 PM
the only time i ever square the pixels up is when i am doing my final render for the web. i do all my editing, and compositing with .9 pixels. im not sure about vegas, but both premiere and AE will let you work with .9 pixels while displaying them sqaured.

the reason i do not work with square pixels is because when i go out to dvd or tape, i would have to squeeze the footage back down to .9, which ads another layer of pixel interpolation to already interpolated pixels. anyway, the difference is probably slight...but i like to keep my footage as close to the original source as possible.

kappa22
01-22-2005, 10:49 PM
Ditto

matthewd5
01-24-2005, 01:53 PM
stupid question, what about if you are doing stuff that either includes anamorphic footage from the dvx, or will be on the same dvd, like opening credits?

also in photoshop cs, what pixels do you use for the above situations?

matthew

kai
01-24-2005, 02:48 PM
in Photoshop CS, when you create a new file, there's a preset for DV that will automatically change the preview to reflect correctly on your screen (but will display correctly in AE). It sets your file size and pixel aspect to the correct size.

Young-H._Lee
01-28-2005, 08:03 AM
hey rich, for interpreting footage used for visual fx, what do you recommend: field and pulldown to "off" or just click guess 24pa?

thanks