PDA

View Full Version : Vida...Award winning short.

Adam J McKay
01-22-2010, 11:37 PM
So we shot this on the 7D. First time ever using it. We wrote, shot and edited the entire thing in 63.5 hours for a festival at Capilano University. We ended up winning:

Best Editor
Best Director
Best Picture x2 one judged by faculty and the by the Capilano film society.

There are a few things that I know need tweaking but I figured I would post up here and see what the users think.

http://vimeo.com/8924815
the password is vida.

Adam J McKay
01-23-2010, 03:31 PM
No comments?

jonE5
01-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Watched this, interestig cinematography and i like the 4 split stuff. The woods stuff was pretty shaky and a little tiresome at times.

I saw where you were going at the end, but a little artsy for my tastes, I would have preferred more of a narrative direction (then again I started writing before filming so that could just be me).

The ending was neat, but I saw it comming, all in all I see why you won some stuff, but had sort of a french coffee house feel to it.

Good job on keeping the edit nice and tight, i feel like you trimmed away most if not all the fat and it showed.

jon

Adam J McKay
01-30-2010, 06:19 PM
K guys 202 views and one person with any opinion whatsoever...

Anthonyb
02-04-2010, 02:20 PM
As a fellow grad from the Capilano University MP3, congratulations on the awards!

bwhitz
02-04-2010, 03:22 PM
K guys 202 views and one person with any opinion whatsoever...

Try not to take any offense here, because I'm not singling out your project personally. But I think these "art" films are a total BS cop outs. Are they supposed to be serious? Who is the target audience? Just pretentious art-film critics who are so far up their own asses they're suffocating from their own shi*? I'm sorry but I see so many of these films I have to finally let it out. I mean, come on, subtitles and accordion music... seriously!? Those are the biggest indie/poet cliches ever... It almost comes off as a joke. The cinematography and editing was actually pretty good. But other than that, it's just too derivative of the "I'm a struggling artist/poet/musician" crap that is incessantly churned out by film students year after year. I'm sorry if you take any offense to this man, I'm criticizing more on the "art-film-sub-genre" itself, than just your piece alone. You do show skills as filmmaker, don't get me wrong. But why not make something that people can genuinely enjoy, instead of forcing them to hold their tongues against their cheeks while they sit through this self gratifying cigarette-and-coffee fueled hipster nonsense?

Congrats on the award though!