PDA

View Full Version : Steel box, bolted to the floor

Gohanto
01-20-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm looking for suggestions about how to give the appearance of a steel box, that's bolted to the floor. In the story it houses a motor attached to a chain (which comes out of the box through a small port near the bottom), which in tern is attached to a man trapped in a room. The box needs to look sturdy enough that he couldn't break it open (the chain is what keeps him from getting away).

Any suggestions?

Sad Max
01-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Build from MDF, apply plant-on bolts etc, and finish to desired degree of metallic-ness, rustyness, etc.

Zblock
01-27-2010, 11:17 PM
If someone you know has a toolbox that goes in the back of a truck. That would look sturdy enough and be big enough for the motor/wheel. The hole for the chain to go through is tricky. Hmmm. You Could buy some diamond plate and cover a cooler in it but leave a small hole.

Jackson Miller
01-31-2010, 09:51 PM
You could fake the hole by gluing a metal piping connector to the side and run the chain starting there which would make it look like it is actually going all the way inside. If that makes sense. But Sad Max knows his stuff so I would do what he says if you have the time and supplies. Not quite sure what MDF is. About to look it up.

Sad Max
01-31-2010, 10:29 PM
MDF = medium density fiberboard. A processed wood fiber product which is uniform, easy to work and finish, and only mildly toxic to handle.

TimurCivan
01-31-2010, 10:34 PM
Wait, I just ate some medium density fiber board..... will I be ok?

Jackson Miller
02-01-2010, 03:06 AM
Are you kidding haha? I read that the danger is inhaling the dust/fragments from cutting it. It might actually be toxic as well though.

Sad Max
02-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Not kidding - inhaling the dust is how you absorb the toxins - mostly in the form of formaldehyde.

TimurCivan
02-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Hey I look younger...

Sad Max
02-01-2010, 04:34 PM
...don't confuse younger with well-preserved...