PDA

View Full Version : My First Blu-ray experience

EWS
01-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Not sure if this fits here so well but wanted to relate my worst hardware experience ever so far.
I went to install an LG burner model BH08 today. I went from a pretty decent system which is :
Asus p5b Mobo
Core 2 Extreme 2.93ghz
4 gigs DDR2 ram
4 WD Drives with 2 at raid 0 (internal sata)
Nvidia Ge Force 9800 1 gig ram
Decklink HD Extreme
Windows XP Pro;
to a system that will not even post.
I tried installing the new LG burner and went into the bios where it was initially recognized but would not boot past.
Still no luck after setting this as first boot in the
bios.
Long story short after a couple of attempts it will not boot and it will not post.
I cleared the cmos with the jumpers and removing the battery and checked the battery voltage which is good.
I did the old faithful pull every piece of hardware until it is just bare-bones and still will not post.
The keyboard does flash on restart, but the video card doesn't appear to be able to output graphics. Tried different monitors, different cables and my old quadro card. Nothing.
It would appear that this piece of hardware managed to really kill the bios....Is that possible? Any hardware gurus have any suggestions. I guess I could try to replace the bios chip but that's a pain. Mobo sounds fried to me.
Help form any direction is appreciated.
This is from a system that was just last night playing my AVCHD clips on a Premiere timeline in realtime and outputting to my Samsung 37"....
just unbelievable.
Certainly my last LG Purchase...probably ever. I have no faith in this burner even though there was a lot of good feedback, there seem to be instances of people having to totally reinstall their operating systems.... I guess I just joined that club.
Thanks for listening to my woes.

HuckLBerry
01-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Sounds like you've fried your motherboard (hopefully the graphics will be ok, last time I fried a mobo my graphics went too.)

Did you install the latest BIOS?

EWS
01-17-2010, 05:52 PM
It had an updated bios, but at this point nothing comes up and I have no access to the bios. It is really dead.

EWS
01-17-2010, 08:05 PM
I just read a tip online that said pull all but 1 stick of ram and it actually worked. I am back in the bios. I have to reconfigure the hardware cards and the raid, but looks like it might be salvageable. However I have installed a fair amount of hardware and have never experienced anything like this...
Who knows I may actually win this round...of course you never actually win anything do you?