PDA

View Full Version : Problem painting PVC pipe

chriscurl
01-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Say that 3 times fast...

So I have several pieces of large PVC pipe that I have spray painted with primer, but a day later it not really sticking, its on there but whatever the pipe touches takes paint off, any suggestions? I guess because its so slick the spray paint wont stick? Maybe I need to sand them down a little? I reeeeally don't have time for that.

lowercase
01-17-2010, 01:59 PM
use plastic specific spray paints, they tend to stick to pvc better.
-k-

Zblock
01-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Or get a belt sander and lightly go over the pvc. That will give it a rough texture so the paint can stick.

Richard Crowley
01-17-2010, 05:52 PM
1) Clean it thoroughly. I would use acetone (the solvent found in nail polish remover). Acetone will dissolve PVC (in sufficient quantity and time), but if you just wipe down the pipe with acetone-soaked rags, it will clean the surface (particularly cleaning off oils, etc.) Acetone will slightly dry the skin (like cleaning with harsh soap), but is not dangerous unless you shower in it daily. Use it with sufficient ventilation to avoid breathing large amounts of fumes. But then you should be doing that while painting anyway. Of course, you don't touch the surface after cleaning and before painting.

2) Use paint that is specifically made to paint plastic. Krylon Fusion is a well-known example. It actually contains solvent which slightly "melts" into the plastic surface.

L Train
01-20-2010, 06:44 AM
I was gonna say sand it first. That should work.

el presidente
01-23-2010, 12:36 PM
try krylon

Jackson Miller
01-31-2010, 07:02 PM
Why do you need it colored?

Paul Hudson
02-01-2010, 04:25 AM
Your best bet is a paint that is specially made for plastics. You can find these at Home and automotive stores.