PDA

View Full Version : Laboratory set

Azmyth
01-17-2010, 09:04 AM
We had an actual animal research lab (closed down) that was going to let us film there for these scenes that are part of the opening credits/montage. But, due to EPA regulations we are unable to. So, now we have to find an alternative. We have access to an empty white room that we could use. The main issue is figuring out how to turn this into a military research lab with a tiny budget. The shots will mainly be close to medium, and all the actors will be wearing lab coats/biohazard suits. Might have a guard in military BDU's. We are trying to show them doing DNA experiments, so we'd have test tubes/vials and such. This is supposed to be happening in the late 60s.. how can we pull this off on the cheap?

lowercase
01-17-2010, 02:02 PM
check with local high school or college science dept to see if you can shoot there or borrow some equipment.
by the ways, i haven't been able to get to my storage place to check on those fatigues for ya but i'll get there tomorrow for sure.
-k-

Sniper1154
01-19-2010, 07:10 AM
I guess my suggestion is more of a last-minute one if you can't find what you're looking for but have you considered seeing if you could dig up some public domain stock footage? I know the 60's was pry riddled with it considering where America was in relation to Russia etc. etc.

Also, did you try any local thrift stores? I know it's a far fetch but the one near my house has an entire aisle (or area...kind of an unorganized place) dedicated purely to glass vases/jars with several looking like beakers.

Hope I was somewhat helpful, good luck! Also, for cheap BDUs I use Sportsman's Guide which has been very reliable in my previous efforts. They always have 10$ off coupons and their fatigues/etc. are really cheap

Azmyth
01-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks sniper! Very helpful, I will check those out.

I had already thought about using some stock footage, but just have to find a low cost source.

Azmyth
01-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Awesome. Just secured a new location for those scenes, a local chemical company is letting us shoot in their lab. Woot!