PDA

View Full Version : Gf1 = gh1?

BryantStanton
01-16-2010, 11:48 PM
So I am heavily considering buying a GH1, but had a conversation today that made me somewhat stumped. Outside of the obvious fact that the GF1 does not support stereo sound (not too important considering I'd be buying an ext. recording device), I was told that because they use the exact same sensor, the GF1 is (supposedly) going to get a firmware upgrade that would essential give it all the same video capability as the GH1. Now, who knows if there is any truth in the upgrade rumor, but is that possible? Is the GF1 just a smaller, intentionally gimped version of the GH1, with the only difference outside of form factor being a software update? Sounds ridiculous to me, so perhaps I'm missing something.

Anyone able to help me out with this?

dcloud
01-17-2010, 12:01 AM
if u want 24p on 60i, get gh1

other than that no.

Chris Light
01-17-2010, 12:03 AM
from what i can tell, no 1920x1080, no 24p(which you can work around with 60p footage), no viewfinder, 110mins max recording time, shorter focal length stock lens (no biggie)...

price is attractive, but i'd miss those differences personally.

dcloud
01-17-2010, 02:33 AM
no it doesnt shoot 60p
its a great still cam though

I even doubt that future m43 from panasonic will have native 24p or better codec.
based on sales, gf1 outsells the gh1 even though gf1 had crappy video in it.

hope panny doesnt base everything on the gf1

BitMaestro
01-17-2010, 05:48 PM
I was told that because they use the exact same sensor, the GF1 is (supposedly) going to get a firmware upgrade that would essential give it all the same video capability as the GH1.

You were misinformed. See:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_GF1/lens.shtml

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 sensor and processing

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 is equipped with the same 12.1 Megapixel Live MOS sensor as the Lumix G1, which at 17.3x13mm conforms to both the Micro and original Four Third specifications. Note this is a different sensor to the slightly larger model in the GH1, which allows that model to offer multiple aspect ratios without cropping.

The GF1s sensor delivers 4:3 images at a maximum resolution of 4000x3000 pixels. Wider 3:2 and 16:9 aspect ratios, along with a square 1:1 option are also available, but like the G1, simply crop pixels from the top and bottom of the frame (or the sides for 1:1) again only the GH1 offers multiple aspect ratios without cropping.
Perhaps the person you were speaking with conflated the G1 and GH1? - Mark

Camera Expert
01-18-2010, 02:21 PM
The GH1 is an entirely different animal compared to the GF1.

For starters you have an articulating screen which allows you to be far more creative in shooting. I mean when I'm at an event I can easily put the camera over my head and see exactly what I'm shooting. I can even hold the camera next to the ground without being on the ground.

It has a built in high resolution viewfinder which is better than the one that you can purchase for the GF1.

As you know, the video capabilities are infinite times better. 1920x1080 24p within 60i and a real 720 60p mode unlike the GF1 which doubles the frames in 720 60p.

Last but not least, the low-light capabilities of the GH1's chip is much better.

If size is most important to you than get the GF1 which is really a good camera to own but if you don't mind the slightly bigger size, the GH1 should be considered. At $1,250, the price of the GH1 really isn't bad and that includes a 10x lens which is optimized for video shooting although I do recommend you get the 20mm lens if you can find it since it's far better for low light shooting. I have a GH1 plus both lenses and they complement each other very well.

Psynema
01-20-2010, 03:15 PM
the GH1 can be had used on ebay VERY SOON for under 1K with a kit lens.

Just check the prices before you kerplunk $700 on a new Gf1.

BryantStanton
01-20-2010, 10:32 PM
My father owns a GF1, and while it's impressive, I was still wanting to buy a GH1. I was just curious to know if there was more to the models beside form factor and a software update. It seems there is. Can't wait for my GH1, only a couple more weeks! I know I can get one new for about $1200 before taxes, so should I take that route, or is it worth it to check out a used one?

stoneinapond
01-21-2010, 08:30 AM
...I know I can get one new for about $1200 before taxes, so should I take that route, or is it worth it to check out a used one?

That depends entirely on you and your finances. I have a preference for buying new for these kinds of products, or a factory refurb if one is offered.

You might want to wait a few more weeks to see what is announced at PMA in the later part of February. Rumor has it that a replacement will be announced. Yes, only a rumor and then there is the issue of when a replacement will be actually shipping, but nonetheless, yiou will have a little more information before you to help judge your purchase.