PDA

View Full Version : Making music videos differently

steev'sHVX
01-16-2010, 11:52 AM
I make a lot of low pay rap videos and I'm affraid there gonna start becoming alike with each other. What do you guys do to mix it up?

Zblock
01-27-2010, 11:20 PM
If you want to be somewhat lazy about it, just shoot in different locations and use the environment to your advantage. Sometimes really spontaneous things turn out great. Use your specific surroundings. Cemetery, basketball court, forest, cornfield... you know. That would add some variety and flavor. I shot a music video on a frozen lake this year.

PerroneFord
01-27-2010, 11:27 PM
I make a lot of low pay rap videos and I'm affraid there gonna start becoming alike with each other. What do you guys do to mix it up?

Read the lyrics, use your imagination... tell a story.

steev'sHVX
01-28-2010, 10:04 AM
yea we recently made a video with a little story. it was cool cause we got to use some new effects. basically made it look like there were too of the same person in the shot but ones opacity was turned down to make em look like a ghost it turned out well. check it out at www.upearlyproductions.com n let me know how I can improve my videos.

RandomHero
01-28-2010, 02:54 PM
The thing about rap videos that I've seen is that they all have a common thread: the performance shots (musician performing their song) are typically done straight at the camera, with the camera using a wide-angle lens. Then there's typically acted scenes based on the lyrics as suggested above. It's a formula that's worked for them. Most music videos in a genre share similar themes, and usually a same-taste for performance shots. The videos I've seen that break the mold most often are for bands that do entire-video performance shots, or use effects. Linkin Park's videos use a lot of CG for scenes, and there's a video by Incubus "Drive" i believe it is, that utilized rotoscoping pretty well.

RyanT
01-29-2010, 01:17 AM
Just don't shoot standard performances. That'll get you pretty far in not making them seem the same. Maybe don't even shoot performance shots at all...just anything to make it a bit different and to be a bit more about the story.

Jackson Miller
01-31-2010, 09:55 PM
What you need to do is have them perform against a white wall and get 5 people to throw water balloons full of pain at them as the sing. Also fill a pool with spaghetti and have them swim around while you shoot from above. Sauce is optional but it tastes better. Add meatballs and you are golden. Scratch that, have the rappers dressed as the meatballs.

Jackson Miller
01-31-2010, 09:55 PM
Also Elephants are always good. If you can get one that would be different. Giraffes probably too.

steev'sHVX
02-04-2010, 08:40 AM
I like the the meatball idea but instead I think I wanna do a giant bowl of ice cream to better tell the story of smoking crack
we will still have them dress up as meatballs though

Jackson Miller
02-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Brilliant!

steev'sHVX
02-04-2010, 01:17 PM
it gets better were gonna do the whole thing in CG so i dont even need my camera

polfilmblog
02-07-2010, 09:18 AM
They should all be skydive / freefalling. Have a bikini skydiving team go first, and the band chases, while singing...

cranston
03-24-2010, 10:08 AM
I like it when music videos don't have performance shots at all. An extreme example of this is Sonic Youth's "Rain on Tin."