PDA

View Full Version : Skull material

Cassius
01-15-2010, 12:53 AM
I'd like to make a large number of cheap skulls, to be used like the debris in the Terminator 2 opening. Making the mold is easy, I've done those before, but what would you suggest for material to fill the mold (or surround the solid one with)? Cheap is more important than anything. It doesn't have to look very good, as it would barely be seen anyway. And since I don't want a lot of molds but do need a lot of skulls curing time is a factor.

Nitsuj
01-15-2010, 10:38 PM
If you have the budget for it then you can't go wrong with good ol' bucky bones. They are the rejects from those skeleton manufacturers. The trick is finding the best deal. My old special effects supply was from a web site www.fxsupply.com I don't know if they still have bucky bones but you can research it.

Another idea is using expanding foam to make some skulls. You need a mold which you can more easily find during Halloween but I know there are supply stores online.

I did a quick search for a tutorial on making foam skulls and there are a bunch but this was the first one I found. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edhDTaLMpng&feature=player_embedded#

I started special effects make-up back in 1998 and I have made a few foam skulls. Bucky bones are great if you can afford them or find some great deals. They usually sell bags of bucky bones and you might get a couple of skulls inside. Hope this helps.