PDA

View Full Version : any way to get 120 FPS on the 7D?

Richard J. Johnson
01-11-2010, 01:37 PM
A little late to the party but can you achieve that 120fps super smooth slow motion on the 7D? I'm assuming the only way you could do this is with a program.

Michael Olsen
01-11-2010, 02:47 PM
A little late to the party but can you achieve that 120fps super smooth slow motion on the 7D? I'm assuming the only way you could do this is with a program.

The Canon EOS 7D has a maximum frame rate of 60fps @ 720fps.

As you mentioned, any additional overcrank will have to be done in post.

Looking forward to the Scarlet.

Justin Bissett
01-12-2010, 12:20 PM
It's a shame more cameras don't offer higher frame rates at lower resolutions.

Abaddon
02-08-2010, 10:28 AM
It would be cool if they could add more frame rates with a firmware update.

Tim Joy
02-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Twixtor-

or the Optical Flow feature in Motion.

OR--- use two 7D's side by side and press one of the rec buttons like 1/120th of a second later and.... no, that probably wouldn't work.

ROCKMORE
02-19-2010, 06:53 AM

I have a friend who is a Flame artist and After Effects freak. He just told me with time warp you can slow footage down really smoothly in After Effects. Worth a try.

Richard J. Johnson
02-19-2010, 07:12 AM
I have a friend who is a Flame artist and After Effects freak. He just told me with time warp you can slow footage down really smoothly in After Effects. Worth a try.

I'm going to check on Timewarp, I have AE. Going to try the motion thing as well.

alignment1
02-19-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm going to check on Timewarp, I have AE. Going to try the motion thing as well.

so?? any results yet??

ROCKMORE
02-21-2010, 06:11 AM
so?? any results yet??

I just did a test and it does slow the footage down 50% to 120 fps as I set it in AF timewarp, but not a replacement for actual 120fps. This is just another computer program making up the in between frames. The original 60fps looks way sharper and better. With the 120fps version, the footage is just on the screen twice as long. More than long enough to see how degraded the once clear image has become.
The Red Scarlet should have what you need on a budget if you are still in business when it arrives.

Richard J. Johnson
02-21-2010, 07:10 AM
I just did a test and it does slow the footage down 50% to 120 fps as I set it in AF timewarp, but not a replacement for actual 120fps. This is just another computer program making up the in between frames. The original 60fps looks way sharper and better. With the 120fps version, the footage is just on the screen twice as long. More than long enough to see how degraded the once clear image has become.
The Red Scarlet should have what you need on a budget if you are still in business when it arrives.

Thanks for that. I have not had time to mess with it yet.

ROCKMORE
03-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Thanks for that. I have not had time to mess with it yet.

I got some more feedback from my Flame, AE guru. He says you can greatly improve the quality of the slow motion but it takes time to find the best settings. I suppose it's worth a try, but I'd still personally rather shoot 120fps or live with the 60fps out of the camera.

bimdas
03-02-2010, 11:32 PM
I've done some slow-mo tests (http://www.vimeo.com/6347364) with twixtor and found that you need to shoot with very high shutter speeds to eliminate motion blur. This is so the program can interpolate the new frames better. Also you can draw masks around your subjects to eliminate the motion warping effect but this takes a bit of time.
Depending on the amount of movement in the scene, I found that I could go to the equivalent of 250fps (pal) with standard settings.

Vince Laxton
03-02-2010, 11:43 PM
"OR--- use two 7D's side by side and press one of the rec buttons like 1/120th of a second later and.... no, that probably wouldn't work."

Have you tried?
Instead use four along a single axis and shoot wide. Go into post and crop to size. Adjust to keep the main character in frame in the same zone. Focus on the eyes. Play with opacities of layers in post.
Nice side effect, background goes out of focus in blur, ends that HD over sharpness.