PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong here?

asteele10
01-08-2010, 05:39 AM
I've had my GH1 for about 3 months and made about 5 little videos. All of them have turned out fine quality/compression wise.

All I did was simply log and transfer the footage into FCP. I did my edit, exported to .mov then used compressor to compress for the web. Never had a problem.

For some reason, the film which I had bought the camera for, is all interlaced and looks terrible after I export it to a .mov. Nothing changes with compressor. There are also one frame of black between most of the clips.

Here is the video with the problem (It looks awful on a big screen):
http://www.vimeo.com/8321647
Password: Bic

Here are a few others that look just fine ( I used all the same settings as far as I know)
http://www.vimeo.com/8339824

http://www.vimeo.com/8243167
Password: Bic
(a shorter clip from the same film that looks just fine!)

What do I do from here? I'd rather not export each clip individually to compressor. I'm willing to do so for the best quality. Is there an easy way to do this without having to reedit the whole piece again!! Thanks guys.

onion
01-08-2010, 07:30 AM
More info needed

What settings did you shoot at (1080p/ 720p/ manual or auto etc)
What settings did you log and transfer into FCP (prores/ AIF/ something else)?
And what settings did you export in compressor?

dvbrother
01-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Just a hunch, but it sounds like an issue with the Sequence frame rate in FCP. Check the frame rate in the Sequence Settings of your movies that look fine. Then check the frame rate in the Sequence Settings of your movie that looks crappy. Are they different?

asteele10
01-08-2010, 08:16 AM
More info needed

What settings did you shoot at (1080p/ 720p/ manual or auto etc)
What settings did you log and transfer into FCP (prores/ AIF/ something else)?
And what settings did you export in compressor?

Shot at 99% 1080p 24.
For my log and transfer settings, I didn't realize there were any (still can't find them). So I guess I just used the default settings. When I check the clip properties, it says the files are .mov files, video rate of 29.97, and compressed with Apple ProRes 422.

My export settings for Compressor were just some settings for HD video for vimeo which I found online.

DVBROTHER:
My frame rate (editing timebase) is 29.97. All I did is drag and drop the clips and tell FCP to match the sequence settings to the clip. Should I create a new sequence and copy/paste all of my footage onto a new sequence with 24fps? Thanks guys

dvbrother
01-08-2010, 09:14 AM
I'm pretty sure the Compressor settings for Vimeo convert your footage to 24fps. If that's the case, turning your interlaced 29.97 clips to progressive 24fps is most likely the problem. Your other two videos may look OK because they had effects applied to them--and your Render settings may have fields set to "None", which effectively deinterlaces your clips.
Just placing your problematic Sequence into a new 24fps timeline will probably solve the interlace weirdness, but your footage will have a new problem of looking jerky. This is because your footage hasn't had the pulldown removed. To be honest, for best results, the pulldown needs to be removed from your 1080p footage to look best on Vimeo.

On a different note, that final dolly shot on your Boston graffiti video is really cool.

asteele10
01-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks DVbrother. I love that shot too.

Sounds like I'm doing a few things wrong. I spent a lot of time and money on this video and want to do it right.

Whats the easiest/quickest way to send my files in my sequence to compressor and do the pulldown? I tried right clicking on the files in my sequence but it won't allow me to 'send to' compressor. Or do I have to send the clips from my bins and reedit? I really hope thats not the case.

dvbrother
01-08-2010, 01:39 PM
You'll need to get more detailed information elsewhere for the workflow I'm about to suggest:
You can use the Media Manager (using the "Copy" selection) to put your Sequence into a new project that makes a new Sequence and creates new media files of just the footage used to create your show. THEN, you'd select all those new files in the Browser--Right-click them and send to Compressor. You can create a Preset in Compressor that will remove the Pulldown (there are other threads on DVXUser that will clarify how to do this). Once Compressor makes the new clips with pulldown removed, you should be able to re-link the clips (using Reconnect Media) in your timeline to the new 24fps clips.
This would keep you from having to re-edit the whole thing. It's still a bit of a pain in the butt, though.
BUT...I wouldn't do it until you've informed yourself on how to do all this! I barely have a grasp on it myself, and I may be telling you something that's incorrect. I have done each of these steps, but not all at the same time and my problem wasn't quite the same as yours.

Anybody else want to chime in? Is there a better way?

asteele10
01-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks DVbrother. Good idea for moving the footage in my sequence to a new project. I'm going to get to work on researching all of this.

I will let people know how it goes in case people like me in the future think its fine to skip doing the pulldown. If anyone objects to DV's proposal please let me know before i waste my time!

Thanks.