PDA

View Full Version : Help! gotta fly tonite. Can I carryon a tripod?

Craig Zarkos
01-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Hey guys, I've got a manfrotto tripod (the single leg 055x) with a 701 vid head. It rides on my checkable backpack. My inclination is they won't allow that--- Allegiante Air.

Does anyone have experience with this? checking anything is 40.00 that i'd like to avoid.

thanks!

Jordan_S
01-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Keep your backpack with the tripod strapped to it on your back when checking your suitcase and boarding. I recently boarded with a tripod inside a backpack and the only problem I encountered was during scanning: they removed it to inspect it closer.

PhoiZen
01-07-2010, 10:08 AM
I carry on my Bogen 501 HDV tripod with 501 HDV head. This fits in pretty much every over head bin, but it is bulky. I have yet to be stopped and asked to check it in or gate check it. Major airlines too like Delta, United and Northwest. I also carry a large video gear backpack, so two large carry-ons. Have yet to be stopped - even during holiday travel.

The only problem I have run into is boarding the plane late and having lack of bin space available, which is becoming more of a national ordeal. Arrive early and try to get in one of the first few boarding classses. Otherwise you may have to gate check, which is usually better than checking it at the counter...

Craig Zarkos
01-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Thanks Guys.. i've taken all this to heart, and packed the head, and cinched to my back pack.. called the airlines etc. I think we'll be ok.

manglerBMX
01-08-2010, 07:08 AM
the over head luggage bins are somewhat triangular in shape and with most luggage being square it leaves an open gap in the back area, perfect for a tripod.