PDA

View Full Version : 7d color bars to a monitor?

Ronster
01-06-2010, 12:15 PM
How would you balance a monitor to the 7d

Having no bars generated in the camera is there a way to set up your monitor for the camera?

I have a 7inch marshall monitor

and I hook it up with the hdmi

I tried just now to make a file in fcp with bars and put it back into the compact flash card and play it back to my camera then out to a monitor but it was a no go.

I could component hook up my marshall monitor to my hvx and balance it off the bars generated there but would that be an accurate balance for the 7d?????

any ideas how I would calibrate this monitor if I don't have bars for my 7d camera??????

Ronster

mhood
01-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Why not set WB and exposure and shoot a color chart if you want meaningful bars from the 7D to set your monitor by. But really, camera color bars aren't really related to the color the camera is shooting are they? Aren't they there for setting up a camera in a synced system using a vectorscope and waveform monitor?

Barry_Green
01-06-2010, 12:39 PM
You don't calibrate a monitor to a particular camera, you're calibrating it to the prevailing light conditions. So yes, if you brought your HVX with you and used its color bars, they'd be perfectly accurate for use with a 7D (or any other camera).

Ronster
01-06-2010, 09:23 PM
my only question to that is when I calibrate my marshall 7 inch monitor and I am using my dvx with composite it is different in terms of where I set the brightness and contrast as to where I set my marshall monitor when I am using my hvx and plug it in and do component?

HVX is very close to 50 on brightness and contrass and DVX is brighter on brightness

are you saying they should be the same?

my only question there is because the 7d is hdmi would that make a difference or it should not matter

If what you are saying is correct then my dvx and hvx should be calibrating the 7 inch marshall the same but it seems rather different when I go composite or component??????

Barry_Green
01-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Check your camera setup options; you may have one at 7.5 and the other at zero.

smelni
01-08-2010, 03:47 PM
You are calibrating to both lighting conditions and the camera which is why you should generate bars at the source (camera) and not the monitor.

parnassus
01-14-2010, 12:01 AM
Just chiming in, I also have a Marshall monitor but I don't have a HVX to reference the color bars on for the 7D.

Any ideas how to calibrate it, so I'm getting a relatively accurate representation of color?

Also, to any Marshall / 7D owners, what do you have your Bright, Color & Contrast settings on, for your Marshall monitor?

janusz
01-30-2010, 05:26 PM
does anyone have insight as to whether the LCDs on the 5DMKII and the & 7D can be trusted (to what extent), when viewing/judging exposure and contrast and color?