PDA

View Full Version : Giving a set the look of old machinery (painting tips)

chriscurl
01-06-2010, 05:38 AM
I am thinking particularly of machinery in a factory or the bowels of a ship, grease and oil stained, specks of oil etc everywhere, even chipped or missing paint. my set is a combination of wood and plastics, any suggestions for painting techniques?

lowercase
01-06-2010, 01:03 PM
to give the set an overall dingy oily look you can get a paint sprayer and spray the whole set with a diluted brown wood stain. don't shoot it smoothly, be uneven and jerky with the gun, drips are good.be sure you do this last as nothing looks worse than a dirty dingy set with a perfectly clean sign or door. spray everything that would always be in the room
you can also dip a sponge brush in the stain and squish it at the bottom on things like switch plates and seams in machinery too give the look of leaking oils.
around high use area such as switches and door handles you can do a layered paint effect showing different colors the machinery or room has been painted over the years. first step is to put a base coat in the area you want to age, preferably in a metal color, then get some tape and cut some shapes for chips, and scrapes. place them where you want them, let the paint dry then add the next color, then add slightly larger pieces of tape over the other pieces. do this as many times as you want then when you peel the tape it will show the exposed paint in layers.
you can also scrape these areas lightly to expose other areas or use sand paper to give a worn look as opposed to a chipped or scratched look.
also get some brown or black poster paint, dilute it a little and get it on your hands then put greasy hand prints all over to show that work was being done there. it also works if you flick it around machinery or put it in a spray bottle, to look like oil spray, again, drips are good.
have fun, you really cant go wrong.

chriscurl
01-17-2010, 05:24 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for the tips, time is running short so well see how many of them i get to implement!

lowercase
01-17-2010, 02:03 PM
you betcha.
-k-