PDA

View Full Version : Aging a metal chain & raw skin

Gohanto
01-05-2010, 03:23 PM
I've got a character chained to a wall in the film I'm going to be working on soon, so I've got two questions...

1. How do I get a chain (10 ft. +) to look old and slightly rusty (chains been on him for 3 months)

2. The chain is locked to ankle, so any suggestions about how to get the skin to look worn and raw would be awesome.

Thanks,
Alex

Vince K
01-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Id take brown paint mixed with corn starch and brush the chain all over to give it the ' textured look' ya want. Looks really good once it dries.

Make up I'm not so keen with.

rsbush
01-05-2010, 04:46 PM
You could use liver of sulfur to age the metal. Very easy to achieve natural results with. You can see it being applied here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDqRzXf1yjM

lowercase
01-06-2010, 12:40 PM
i use brown paint then before it gets tacky sprinkle with coco, paprika and instant coffee. it's kinda a trial and error thing but it looks great.

as far as makeup, i'd go liquid latex with toilet seat covers.
sounds weird but it works great
coat the area in liquid latex then press a strip of toilet seat cover around the area then coat that with latex and let dry.
next color the area with makeup. start with flesh color then move on to purples and reds closest to the ankle cuff then yellows on the outside. you also might wanna get some greens in there since its been a long time.
next you can make tears in the appliance and put blood makeup beneath, preferably some dried blood or scab blood, both available pretty cheap on line.
finish it off with some dried blood that had dripped down when the wounds we're fresh, nothing wet as this is an old wound, more brown than red and a a little chunky.
it's allota trial and error but it's fun and none of the stuff is too expensive.
you can get whats called a bruise wheel which has small amounts of the most common colors of makeup for doing bruises, a small bottle of latex, some different bloods and a coupla toilet seat covers from any public restroom. don't for get to take your actor with you to get the base color, it's easier to do that than buy a buncha different colors.
good luck and have fun.

Michael Carter
01-11-2010, 04:37 PM
I have a lot of chain I aged for a photo shoot - soaked it in muriatic (hydrochloric) acid for a day or two - that stuff makes any steel rust - just avoid plated steel.

In fact, I went kinda rust-crazy and did three torchiere lamps, and my steel dining table. It was a phase.

Paul Hudson
01-11-2010, 06:45 PM
There are several different tarnishing (aging) agents available commercially. Most arts and crafts stores will have a selection.