01-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Screen Grabs.
http://jaredcrogers.ahobbler.com/grab2.jpg

http://jaredcrogers.ahobbler.com/grab4.jpg

http://jaredcrogers.ahobbler.com/grab6.jpg

http://jaredcrogers.ahobbler.com/grab8.jpg

j1clark@ucsd.edu
01-05-2010, 11:18 AM
So, are we going to see some face farting betrayals?

jared.c.rogers
01-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Not sure about that, but should have a good stinger. :)

Norm Sanders
01-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Woo-hoo, here we go! :thumbsup:

RodThompson
01-05-2010, 05:38 PM
I love a good WESTERN! :D

Rodney V. Smith
01-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Welcome to the fest! Will this be the Cliff Notes edition?

jared.c.rogers
01-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks Rodney, you might say, at 5 minutes, it's the easiest translation of Chaucer to get through ever.

dan walker
01-05-2010, 09:30 PM
sounds like a solid cast and crew! looking forward to seeing it!

Noel Evans
01-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Good luck guys. Really looking forward to seeing it. Jared C. Rogers, hmm you look familiar :)

jared.c.rogers
01-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Familiar, eh? I'm more or less a stranger 'round these parts. :)

jared.c.rogers
01-10-2010, 05:53 PM
I have to say that we had a fantastic cast and crew this weekend, making for a very successful shoot. Should have screen grabs and bts up soon!

Rodney V. Smith
01-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Well congrats. Didn't know you guys were shooting this weekend. Coulda told us so se could cheer you on. Now we feel so left out of the loop... well at least I do...

You;re gonna have to give us grabs tonight to make up for this slight...

jared.c.rogers
01-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Okay. Finally we have BTS and screen grabs up for your viewing pleasure, so sorry for the delay Rodney. :)

Can't wait to see the way Norm cuts this together!

RodThompson
01-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Beautiful layout of the DOF...

http://jaredcrogers.ahobbler.com/grab6.jpg

jared.c.rogers
01-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks Rod!

jasonthewho
01-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Very nice screen grabs and BTS. Looking forward to it!

MrSeth
01-13-2010, 07:14 AM
agreed. I love the screen grabs and bts! i'm very excited to see this one!!

Scott F
01-13-2010, 07:38 AM
I'm noticing a theme in all the Betrayalfest BTS pics: Wool caps.

Well, it is wintertime. :cool:

jared.c.rogers
01-13-2010, 07:45 AM
Deepfocus, I like to believe it's my thinking cap so I often wear it in the summer too (although it is wool).

I got pretty warm on set this time though. I'm thinking I'll make another one out of bamboo or cotton yarn, something more breathable; hope it doesn't effect the way I shoot!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
01-13-2010, 07:58 AM
I loved the script and I'm loving the grabs! Nice work.
This is going to be a lot of fun.

Looks like you are working with a good bunch of people judging from the BTS pics.
Don't let Norm boss you around!

j/k :)

Good luck with this one, it looks great.

MAH

Russell Moore
01-13-2010, 05:45 PM
After reading your script, which was excellent, I had to take a peek over here and see how things are going.

Nice bts shots. The grabs look sweet and the cast looks great. Can't wait to see it.

Norm Sanders
01-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Jared, the footage looks GREAT. Will have some issues syncing up the 1st part of the days' footage, because of the sticks sometimes not being in frame on the snap, but will just add a bit of time, is all, it'll still sync up perfectly.

The footage looks EXCELLENT and is going to color correct SOOO nicely!

I just don't want to be sitting in my normal COLD office this time of year, so working on installing everything I need on my laptop so I can get going on it. :) Keep you posted & you were a LOT of fun to work with on set!

jared.c.rogers
01-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the update Norm! Glad to hear it!

(my bad on the sticks, obviously. sorry about the extra work.)

Michael Anthony Horrigan
01-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the update Norm! Glad to hear it!

(my bad on the sticks, obviously. sorry about the extra work.)
Don't worry about it, Jared. Norm's a stickler with the sticks. Just look at his avatar. :D

Looking good, guys.

MAH

jared.c.rogers
01-14-2010, 10:41 AM
haha. True, MAH. My wife was impromptu 2nd AC, slating every shot. I think Norm made her cry a couple of times.

"I said lower d*mnit!"

:)

Norm Sanders
01-17-2010, 07:35 PM
So here's the update, after a few days of hell ... my laptop simply can't cut it for editing. At all. So, had to put all the footage on my normal/office system. Good news is that syncing the audio is a BREEZE, because we've got the wild audio from the camera for me to simply match the audio mapping to on the stick snap, so whether the slate was in frame or not, I can match easily.

Difficult news is that for SOME reason the more .MOV files I import into Vegas, the more memory it's soaking up ... so at this point, I'm experimenting with doing several different projects that can pre-render the footage (putting in markers for beginning/ending of clips, etc), and then will try to edit with those nested files instead.

Not sure if there's something about the codec in these MOV files, or if there's something up with my system? Regardless, looking for a work-around so it's not crashing on me, as I really want to be the one to edit this. Just taking a slow start.

Oh, and part of the "hell" for the past few days has been dealing with a virus that completely shut down my laptop. Had to spend the past few days trying to get it off, then finally just reformatting the entire hard drive. Some trojan/Spyware thing called "Internet Security 2010". Viscous little monster.

Rodney V. Smith
01-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Check your video card. The lower end cards simply aren't made for video editing. A lot of PCs and PC laptops cut costs by putting in the cheapest damn video card they can find and that creates a bottleneck no matter how much processing power you end up pushing. If you have a desktop you can at least upgrade the video card to a decent one and you won't even notice any slowdown at all.

Drilonl89
01-17-2010, 08:13 PM
The stills look great, looking forward to more. Do you have a website?

jared.c.rogers
01-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Just created a facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Indispensable-Chaucer-fan-page/276811393351?ref=ts) page for the short. Did you mean me personally? It's linked on my signature; just a home for my reel and resume highlights. Looking forward to putting the new footage on there soon!

Jared

Rodney V. Smith
01-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Hey guys, you should always try to link back to the Betrayalfest thread and specifically to your thread. Don't let people have to come searching for you all over the place when linking from Facebook and outside the site. :beer:

Rodney V. Smith
01-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Linked to your facebook page from the Betrayalfest page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/BetrayalFest-2010/225675127076?ref=nf

jared.c.rogers
01-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks Rodney. I was concerned about the rule:

"You must also include a direct link to the BetrayalFest forum, not just your own thread."

But now, rereading it, I suppose it means I COULD link both, just not solely my own. Whoops.

Rodney V. Smith
01-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Don't want anyone getting a slap on the wrist arbitrarily. Besides if everything links back to everything else there's a nice circle of promotion going on. The aim is to promote the entire fest not just one film otherwise someone doing a lot of promotion outside the site may feel that others have benefited without making any effort by promoting only themselves. Helps the whole community all the way through and keeps it a friendly competition.

jared.c.rogers
01-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Well now I'm really confused. :)

I thought you were suggesting I link directly to this thread, but now it sounds like the opposite...

To be clear, should I only link to the broader DVXuser betrayalfest forum? Or is it okay to also link to my individual film thread?

Rodney V. Smith
01-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Oops. No link to your thread definitely. But also include a link to the Betrayalfest.

jared.c.rogers
01-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Done and done. Thanks for the clarification!

Rodney V. Smith
01-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Nice. Did I mention I'm looking forward to this? Really wanna see how you guys handle the script. Looking good so far.

miamivideo
01-18-2010, 07:39 AM
Amazing grabs!. What camera and lens are you guys using?

jared.c.rogers
01-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Thanks! We shot on the 5D Mark II. Our two workhorse lenses were an 85mm (f1.4 I think?) and a 50mm.

We also used a 24mm and at one point a 35.

Jared

Norm Sanders
01-19-2010, 02:12 AM
Hey Rodney, thanks for the tip. One thing that's unique to Vegas vs. other NLE's is that it's not really impacted much by the video card, as it's an intensive CPU powered NLE. For the laptop, it's more about the memory, or lack thereof.

Don't know WHAT the issue is with the desktop, as I've cut PLENTY of projects on it (BERLIN, with 40+ total audio & video tracks, etc.)....though it seems to be working so far. I should do a test render, as is, to make sure my theory of the work-around is legit.

Rodney V. Smith
01-19-2010, 06:40 AM
It's happened to me before as well even though I try to keep my system in tip-top shape. Edit quite a few projects... and then boom! An inexplicable slowdown. Annoys me to no end and makes me extremely leery of upgrades to the software... no matter how much the upgrade is needed.

Norm Sanders
03-06-2010, 04:58 AM
Submitted. 3 minutes to spare ... what a headache today/tonight has been, but SO glad it's finally in! Hope everyone enjoys this ... a nice growth step for me to go a different direction from all of my past works. Thanks, Jared, for asking me to be a part of this, and I hope I served you well. :beer:

Chris Messineo
03-06-2010, 06:24 AM
Norm, I love your films. I'm so excited to see that you got this in. I can't wait to watch it.

jared.c.rogers
03-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks for pulling through last night Norm! Sorry about the system issues. Looking forward to getting feedback on this piece.

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Grabs look great and your crew looks like they know what they are doing. Welcome to the fest!

Tim Joy
03-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Looks awesome. I just noticed this was you, Norm. cool! Can't wait

AJ Brooks
03-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Norm and Victoria, good to see you in the fest.

Looking forward to it!

totitefilms
03-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Everything looks nice and professional. Looking forward to see this one.

Richard J. Johnson
03-06-2010, 05:58 PM
That was a great film. Loved it. such a nice look and the acting was great. great job.

Gohanto
03-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Very well done, one of the best. Did not expect that ending and it just worked.

Awesome job sir.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
03-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Story: One of the best of the fest for sure. I loved this script in ScripFest and you guys really pulled it off. Very well done. One of the best endings by far.

Acting: I feel like I'm repeating myself but this had some really great acting. Quite natural. Not to mention that your lead actress was gorgeous. :)

Technical: Very solid all around. Some shots seemed a hair over exposed but I loved the colour and framing throughout. Sound was excellent and the music was really top notch.

Well done, guys.

MAH

Christopher Blake
03-07-2010, 01:47 PM
That was truly enjoyable. Laugh out loud fun. Great work.

Norm Sanders
03-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Awesome, thanks for the feedback folks. As this was my first non-dark/dramatic piece, I was a bit nervous on the out come, but enjoyed the script & saw this as a great opportunity to do something different than my previous fare.

Michael, thanks for the detailed feedback, specifically. Was fun casting this ... had worked with David in Devon Lyon's THE TELL (he was the dead bucket boy in the background), and came across Victoria on Facebook ... found out she'd be in town on Winter Break, and everything just worked out.

The script called for our character to ride away on a bicycle, which I had actually forgotten about when we were scouting the location & discussing shots, scenes, etc. When Jared told me about it, I said a different direction I wanted to go with the ending, and we compromised & stated that IF we ran out of time to shoot the bicycle scene, we could go with my ending ... I didn't purposely drag my heels, I swear, but we ran out of time to shoot Jared's ending! :) Since many people at read the script in the Scriptfest, I'm glad that we could have a slightly different ending than what some will be expecting. :thumbsup:

In editing I discovered that we were short on some coverage, specifically him spying on her again, so I took one of the clips where he exits left of the books (to his right), and actually REVERSED the footage, so it appears that he's coming coming in from the left.

We ran out of time to do any further score revisions, so Sid may notice that I added just a couple of SMALL tweaks ... took literally just a few notes from his score, to add a couple of notes during an awkward pause in their first dialogue exchange about the books, and then a single note/beat after each one of their innuendo/slips. Hopefully Sid's okay with it. :)

MrSeth
03-07-2010, 05:52 PM
My critique for The Indispensable Chaucer
The story:
Story was very funny.. charming and witty. Keep me watching until the end.

The acting:
Both of the leads convinced me as their character. Great character development. Girl was very pretty!

The camerawork:
Saturation was great. I liked the small movements and the angles were very smooth.

The editing:
Each cut gave us something new.. Loved the overall feel and pace of the edit.

The sound and music:
The music added a lot to this story and the composer did an amazing job. The dialogue was very clear.

Overall impression:
Didn't expect the ending.. kept me watching throughout. You did a really good job on this one.

My favorite shot:
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4613/screenshot20100307at651.png

Mike@AF
03-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Great film! Well acted. Great use of DOF (except for the keyboard shot seemed to be too shallow). Excellent cast and acting. I really liked the story. I knew one of them had switched their book(s) with another, but the question was which one of them.

My only real critique is that at times it seemed over-saturated. The male actor's lips were glowing red sometimes to the point I thought he was wearing lipstick.

Very well-made. I enjoyed it!

MSpencer
03-07-2010, 09:54 PM
i really liked it. simple and believable. the DOF was real nice. added that touch to it. very well done. and the acting was spot on.

Norm Sanders
03-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Awesome, great feedback folks, thanks! I think I've heard more than once now that there could be too much saturation ... that would be my fault, as I was the one that CC'd this, and didn't have time to get it to Jared to approve as the DP ... as such, I'll be saving a master of this with NO cc, so that if he wants to change anything for future fests, etc. he'll have that ability. We did want the colors to really pop in this (especially blues, greens, etc.), but perhaps I pushed it just a TAD too far....?

Maximus
03-08-2010, 06:24 AM
Very impressive. This is one of the few that felt pro in all regards. I think your best film yet.

Great job, Norm!

vnguyen972
03-08-2010, 08:19 AM
I like this one... not so much with the story though because it's simple? I don't know... but since it's a comedy, it didn't bother me so much... Everything else is spot on... well shot.. well cast... the actress is extremely pretty! and their acting was great... Over all... a great film!

pborghee
03-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Wow....congrats man! Besides the fact that the actress is extremely gorgeous the flow was spot on. Angles were great, flow was great, story was great....I could see this being a feature or even like a tv show. Great job all around....top of the charts man.

teresadecher
03-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Ah! I liked it. I thought it was really cute. :) Good job to all on the team.

Homunculus
03-08-2010, 12:58 PM
this was a strong effort. the best part for me was the music.
this short reminded me a lot of Mr. Bean and the gags and set pieces/situations that go down in his show with the main kid standing in for bean getting into a bind.
some scenes like at the 3:15 mark where we see the actresses face the lights are a bit too strong on her face and you can see it gleaming off her forehead. the comedy was funny "I need to do you now." Lmao! overdone line but still funny coming from this guy.
Wow ending was really great (typing this in spurts as I watch it).
Probably the best ending of all the shorts so far.
Music really stood out as the best part.
Ah ok, now I see why, Sid Barnhoon. He's a beast and one of the best composers that there are at this level of filmmaking.

lyonfilms
03-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Nice flick Norm. Good color, tone and pacing. Sid's music was spot-on.

It was fun seeing David in that role (he was our dead guy in The Tell and he was on a commercial shoot we shot last year for Bradshaw Advertising). Great guy and did a really nice job.

Victoria is one of our favorites and we need to work with her again (maybe reunite her with Decher and come up with something cool). I think the picture on the computer was a screen grab from A/S/L if I'm not mistaken.

Good work.

hoz
03-08-2010, 05:27 PM
hmm...

dug the ending. overall this film is ... cute. not my type of film and but i think you did a bang job with it for what it is... cute. it looked like it belonged on abc's afternoon school special - do they have these anymore ? prob not - sorry bad reference - but it is a compliment - it looks professional.

thought the acting was good and the music was spot on too.

congrats on your film!

btw - cool location p/u - getting a library to film in - was that easy to do?

ChrisHurn
03-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Fun film. Really enjoyed this.

I really liked the colours in the film, it had a very bright, but warm feel to it that I thought worked very well for the story. Some very nice shots and lighting.
I really liked the score, complimented the film really nicely. Awesome work Sid.

Good sound, everything was clear. Great script and acting I thought. Nothing technically in the film stood out as being distracting or anything like that, so great job. The focus was right on the story.

Memorable Moment
The ending was great, one of my favourites. Quirky and fun. Really liked that quick zoom cut.

Overall a really fun, colourful film. Congratulations.

Bigmagic
03-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Very enjoyable! Loved it.

ZazaCast
03-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Cute little flick! A very enjoyable romp in the library. Looked great too.
Nice score...but the best part for me was the very last line, "What the F...." Classic.

I can't really find anything wrong with this one, but if I did, I might just speed up the pace of the beginning of the film.

Great job and congratulations to cast & crew.

Nemesis TS
03-08-2010, 08:22 PM
I almost have one word for you: Perfect, almost.

The male was a little over acting. Didn't care for the nail bitting. Shuffling papers a bit much.

The female was Perfect. She nailed it, even watched a couple times to be sure. She wins best actor of the fest. This isn't my kind of movie, but this was so well done. This was the Best script of the fest. Clever, witty writing. I kind of wish the guy would have talked to himself or made some kind of sound. For a while there, I thought this was a silent film with foley. The score, was amazing, also the best of the fest. Such a well rounded cast and crew that I guess I would have to say this was the Best Film of the fest too.

Excellent, job well done to you and your team

*edit: I meant to say the male did a great job too. A bit of over acting here and there, but did terrific too.

teresadecher
03-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Victoria is one of our favorites and we need to work with her again (maybe reunite her with Decher and come up with something cool). I think the picture on the computer was a screen grab from A/S/L if I'm not mistaken.

Good work.

I am so down!

And yes, I totally noticed the ASL screen grab too haha!

Luis_
03-08-2010, 08:34 PM
incredible work!
great movie!
Loved it!
the acting was superb too!
flawless victory! lol...

Aaron Marshall
03-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Great job Norm. I really enjoyed this movie. This was fun.

In the future I would drop the exposure down maybe a 1/3 of a stop. What was your exposure process? How did you approach it? Everything just seemed overly bright.

Sid, your score was awesome! I love how it did he old fashioned underscoring of what was actually going on. The music heightened the experience 10 fold.

This was well acted, a little hammy and comical, but that's what the script wanted.

The young woman reminded me of Katie Melua.

jared.c.rogers
03-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Wow. Thanks everyone for the generous feedback! Norm certainly nailed the tone of this piece at a much funnier level than I could have hoped. Kudos, man!

Glad people seem to like the story!

And thanks for the honest feedback about the visuals; I learned a lot from this and can't wait to shoot my second.

P.S. Thank you Sid! Wonderful job!

mentatDUKE
03-09-2010, 05:12 PM
I really enjoyed this. Original subject matter, totally unexpected and great punchline. Ah the joys of the college library....

DC Ninjas
03-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Good job on a different approach to the betrayal theme! This one was well-directed, funny, and the music did a great job of carrying the beginning half without dialogue. Reminded me of college all over again! Thumbs up!

Matt Harris
03-09-2010, 08:38 PM
good job norm, you have a very commercial good lookin' mainstream style.
even though the subject matter wouldn't normally interest me, it did this time.
(props to the writer of course). the best word to describe this is "cute" and
i think you guys did a great job. kudos.

Norm Sanders
03-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Lol, I'm hearing that term a lot ... "Cute". It's exactly what I said when I read the script, and one of the big things that attracted me to it. I felt there could be a couple of comedic moments to it, but that overall it was an opportunity to do something cute, vs. the typical darker dramatic stuff ... and, like I said, a good warmup to test my stuff before jumping into a full blown comedy.

Glad everyone's enjoying it. Devon, not sure about the screengrab ... that'd be Jared's dept, as he handled the graphics for the monitors.

Chris Messineo
03-10-2010, 08:23 AM
This was so great.

I was thinking what a "cute" story it was and then that ending was awesome! One of my favorite twists in the fest. I totally didn't expect it.

I dug both of your actors and the pacing here was perfect. Great music as well.

Excellent short and phenomenal direction. Definitely one of my favorite films in the fest.

Marlon Ladd
03-10-2010, 10:06 AM
I think this film is a sleeper. It snuck up on me. It was very professionally shot and had some excellent actors. I liked everything about it. Good job.

RodThompson
03-10-2010, 11:03 AM
I DUG! I agree, sleep hit.

dougspice
03-10-2010, 12:19 PM
I loved the punchline. Great delivery and edit on that. Perfect timing.

This isn't really my type of film generally, but I really appreciate how distinct it is from most of the other entries. After watching a lot of people cheating on their spouses and getting shot I honestly needed a nice lighthearted library romp! Good cast, solid production value – everything fit together.

MML
03-10-2010, 01:48 PM
I liked the screenplay, loved the film. The two actors were great. I loved the shots through the books as he was checking her out. Cool shots throughout.

Looked very professional. Congrats to you and your team.

mark menditto
03-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Great! I really enjoyed it: story, performances, sound, and beautifully shot.

Norm Sanders
03-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Awesome, thanks folks. Yep, figured this may be lighter fare, compared to a lot of the films, considering the genre ... so glad everyone seems to be appreciating it for that, and that it's also coming across well.

Chris_Keaton
03-13-2010, 06:36 AM
A nicely done job. I thought the story was cute and it the short was. It isn't Gone With the WInd, but is entertaining. Great Job.

kafeero
03-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Hey great film.
I was just wondering is this a remake? I think I've seen one just like it.

Stephen Mick
03-15-2010, 10:21 PM
I really liked this one. A refreshing take on betrayal, to say the least.

http://www.filmeveryday.com/2010/03/15/the-indispensable-chaucer-a-dvxuser-betrayal-fest-film/

Norm Sanders
03-16-2010, 01:00 AM
Not that I'm aware of. As far as I know, this is a completely original script ... though anymore, it's nearly impossible to tell a completely original story ... it's just a matter on the person's take of it, and how they're able to tell it.

Hey great film.
I was just wondering is this a remake? I think I've seen one just like it.

jared.c.rogers
03-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Nope. Definitely not a remake. Inspired by cut-throat library tactics while studying in Oxford.

:)

Tim Joy
03-16-2010, 04:14 PM
It payed off. FINALIST. Yay congrats!

Norm Sanders
03-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Just got a text from Jared about this, bringing it to my attention. YAY TEAM CHAUCER!!! :thumbsup:

Jaime V
03-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Congratulations guys!

Ben Sliker
03-16-2010, 06:35 PM
still haven't got around to writing my review for this, but nonetheless, congrats!!!

Rodney V. Smith
03-16-2010, 06:36 PM
yeah, what Ben said. still working my way around here. Good one Norm. Nice film you got here.

AJ Brooks
03-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Congrats on 2nd round Norm and Jared!

Marlon Ladd
03-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Congrats, guys!

namelok
03-17-2010, 03:36 AM
Congrats!

Darkline
03-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Hey guys, some good work here. I guessed the ending before it hit, but nevertheless it was very well lit, shot and edited. I think also you got good performances from the leads.

Personally I thought the music was a bit too, erm, frivalous and it was puttng me off at the start - but we all have different tastes and once the short got going I started to look past it and just enjoy the ride.

very solid short. good fun

Ben Sliker
03-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Norm/Jared,

I think I'll go ahead and echo everyone's statements that this was a refreshing movie when compared to the rest of the films in the fest and a deserved finalist. I read the script for the scriptfest, so I knew what I was getting into, but that did not deter me from having an enjoyable experience watching the film.

Sid, great job on the score, it was great, I enjoyed it as a character in the film.

The acting was very good, with just an appropriate amount of campiness sprinkled on top for added comedic effect.

The only real nit-pick that I have with this film is the lighting. A lot of your whites are blown out (I experienced first hand how easy the DSLRs and their poopy codecs can do this) and then the inconsistencies between the blue and the yellow color of the lights. I can understand that this was probably motivated by your content, but I think it would have been just as effective with a more natural lighting scheme. (and for reference, I had to dig way down in the personal preference nit-pick box to come up with something) :)

Simple, Effective, Funny. Norm, I think this may be a turning point for you!

Susanne G.
03-17-2010, 07:03 PM
What an intrigues little funny story. Fantastic the lead actor and I like very much the score.

Susanne

Blaine
03-18-2010, 01:03 PM
This one took me a while to warm up to. I wasn't pulled in at the beginning but about half way through I had been won over and was just going along with the story. In fact, by the end I had forgotten it was BetrayalFest and wasn't looking for the betrayal and the ending took me completely by surprise.

I hadn't read anything in the thread about this so I was very surprised to see that Norm directed it. Good job (except for the first 30 seconds, which almost lost me)

The acting was believable. Good story. Pretty pictures. You deserve your spot in the top 10.

Brandon Rice
03-18-2010, 02:15 PM
Wait Norm... you directed this? This is the last of the finalist films I have to watch... now I'm excited!!! :D

Norm Sanders
03-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Thanks, guys. Hopefully Jared will have a shot as the new comer award, even though he didn't directed ... he's still technically the filmmaker behind this one, as the writer, the key producer, as well as DP, etc.

I simply got involved, after he approached me, to cast it, direct it, and finally edit/CC/sound design, as well as land Sid as composer, etc.

I'm thinking the fact that this wasn't under my name is an attributer to this not getting as many views/comments, which is kind of cool in a way, as it's like flying under the radar like Jack Daniel Stanley did with SpyFest (not that I'm at his level/comparison, but we're both well known on here & have been around a long time - so people tend to look for long time member's submissions).

All in all, I'm VERY glad to have been a part of this. It was a great opportunity to break out of my dreary dramas, begin warming up to comedic work, work with someone else's project, and focus more on simply directing. I think Jared & I worked well together, and would look forward to it again, if he asked. :)

Brandon Rice
03-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Very cool Norm! :) I enjoyed Producing for someone on the last short I worked on.

Brandon Rice
03-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Very nice work! I thought that the color grading was a bit on the high side, and the frame rate looked a little funky. Loved the betrayal! Nice performances overall, though the female lead seemed off-balance at times.

Norm Sanders
03-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the input, Brandon. Frame rate should have been coming through at 30P ... I figured since this would mostly be seen on the web, it'd be best to just leave it at the native 30P the camera shot in, especially when converting over to FLASH for YouTube, FB, etc.

I'll take any blame on the CC, as Jared didn't have a chance to give final approval as DP prior to submission. I'll be giving him an uncompressed RAW version that he can CC from scratch if he wants to.

Zim
03-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Nice film with a good ending.

Brandon Rice
03-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the input, Brandon. Frame rate should have been coming through at 30P ... I figured since this would mostly be seen on the web, it'd be best to just leave it at the native 30P the camera shot in, especially when converting over to FLASH for YouTube, FB, etc.

I'll take any blame on the CC, as Jared didn't have a chance to give final approval as DP prior to submission. I'll be giving him an uncompressed RAW version that he can CC from scratch if he wants to.

Cool! Yep, it looked 30p, which kind of gave it a BBC sitcom look... not necessarily a bad thing :) The script and story was great.

Tim Joy
03-20-2010, 08:17 AM

Even after conversion to 30fps (adding pulldown, not conversion really) I think it makes a big difference to shoot in 24p. What about other live festivals this might play in where it could easily be shown at 24p? I've never run into any problems submitting 24p files anywhere, so I'm not sure what you mean there.

I liked this one because it had a complete story that surprised me. Didn't see the ending coming and the discovery is fun to watch. Your actress is super cute and played it with just enough ditz. :) I might be in the minority, but I think the performances were adequate and I think it has much more to do with the editing, which drags for me. I think you could trim about 30-40% off this and have a tighter, funnier piece that will give the actors' a better performance. Unfortunately, it's scored the whole way, so that would need redoing too, but maybe there's some creative edits that would work. Just MHO. It's a well deserved finalists.

Alex Jeffery
03-20-2010, 02:11 PM
I really enjoyed this one! Well shot, and the story kept me hooked (not to mention the cute girl). High marks from me, awesome job guys!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
03-22-2010, 01:26 PM
I think I said pretty much all there was to say in my first review.
I really liked this one. Comedies are so tough to do and they usually (not always) don't stand a chance against the more serious fare.

Even having read the script I still got a big kick out of this one and that's saying something.
I really hope that more people will start paying attention to the writers around here and take advantage of some great script writing.
Pacing could be tightened up just a tad but overall this was pretty spot on. Good music too.

Did I mention that I love your female lead? :)
The guy was pretty good as well. Well, not pretty, but you know what I mean.

Seriously, guys. Really nice work on this one.

Best of luck.

MAH

Stephen Mick
03-23-2010, 07:39 AM
A big congrats to Jared, Norm and all involved…

http://www.filmeveryday.com/2010/03/23/1st-semi-annual-festie-award-winners/

totitefilms
03-23-2010, 03:11 PM
I also like the actress in this movie and the ending. Very nice film!

jared.c.rogers
03-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the Festie!