PDA

View Full Version : Locking exposure in M mode

bwwd
12-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Is it possible ? cause its on auto and its annoying ,very amateur approach by canon to "full manual mode".
How we can lock exposure and still be able to adjust shutter speed ? Maybe map exposure to some button or dial ? I dont know but today with friend we couldnt get to lock exposure and changing ISO to get less light or changing shutter speed is not an option.
Manual mode isnt so manual as we thought,or theres a secret to it and we can lock exposure ?
In which mode i can lock shutter speed to 50 and adjust exposure but not bump myself into 3200 ISO and above ?

mhood
12-26-2009, 06:28 AM
It doesn't sound like you are in "Manual" mode at all to me.

dcloud
12-26-2009, 06:30 AM
maybe old firmware?

bwwd
12-26-2009, 07:18 AM
But "M" is the only mode where you can control shutter speed yes? Firmware is 1.09 i think , it wasnt updated.ISO works like exposure in this mode ? When i set it to auto and exposure is adjusting itself then i cant lock it with any button and i would like to.

mhood
12-26-2009, 07:42 AM
My 7D never comes out of "M" mode and not only can/must you manually set exposure, shutter and ISO, you can turn off the camera and your settings will still be there when you return. It's also pretty smart about exposure in that when I remove my 50mm 1.4 lens and put on the Tamron 2.8, the exposure setting goes to 2.8 because it knows 1.4 isn't an option any more. Yea...spend some time with the User's Manual because "M" is totally "manual" on the 7D.

bwwd
12-26-2009, 08:52 AM
but when i have locked ISO and i point it to the llight bulb it doesnt change exposure and bulb is blown out.When i set ISO to auto then exposure is changing and bulb is normal but i cant lock exposure, or can i ?

mhood
12-26-2009, 09:02 AM
When you are in manual and have locked ISO, it *shouldn't* change exposure...you have to manually set the exposure. Again, manual is manual everything on the 7D...It's really that simple.

carlone
12-27-2009, 07:09 AM
The manual says you should be able to do this (lock current ISO by pressing the * button). Maybe that's only when shooting stills. I can't seem to get it to work when in Video mode. Would be a nice feature when needing to shoot something quick and there's not enough time to get in and start dialing for the perfect ISO setting.

mhood
12-27-2009, 07:15 AM
...so you would like to see automatic control of camera settings in video mode? Have you considered a Nikon? LOL!

Michael Olsen
12-27-2009, 07:54 AM
Is it possible ? cause its on auto and its annoying ,very amateur approach by canon to "full manual mode".

Yes, when you camera is set to Auto it will be a very poor version of Manual. In fact, it won't really be Manual, it will be Auto. If you want Manual, select Manual. Once you are in Manual, however, it really will be fully manual - you have to manually control everything.

How we can lock exposure and still be able to adjust shutter speed ? Maybe map exposure to some button or dial ?

Turn the dial on the top left hand side of the dial to M as in Manual. Then turn any AF features off on your lens or via the switch. You will then have complete control over aperture, focus, ISO, and shutter speed.

I dont know but today with friend we couldnt get to lock exposure and changing ISO to get less light or changing shutter speed is not an option.

Once you have entered manual mode as described above, use the little scroll wheel near the shutter button to select the aperture you desire on electronic lenses, or manually turn to aperture ring on your lens if it is a manual lens. Once this aperture is set, it will not automatically change (unless you zoom in and your lens automatically stops down because it isn't a constant aperture lens).

Manual mode isnt so manual as we thought,or theres a secret to it and we can lock exposure ?
Manual mode is every bit as manual as we thought.
There is no secret to it - all you have to do is select M.
You can lock exposure. In fact, you can't have auto-exposure while in Manual mode.**

In which mode i can lock shutter speed to 50 and adjust exposure but not bump myself into 3200 ISO and above ?
You can lock shutter speed to 50 and adjust the aperture (and thereby the exposure) all day long in Manual mode without ever touching ISO settings.

**It may be possible to use the "Creative Automatic" feature (labeled CA on the wheel) to make shutterspeed and ISO automatic, but leave aperture automatic. Somehow I doubt it will work, but if you really need it, it may be worth a shot.

Thomas Lew
12-27-2009, 10:07 AM
...so you would like to see automatic control of camera settings in video mode? Have you considered a Nikon? LOL!

I actually laughed out loud on this one...

:bath:

bwwd
12-27-2009, 04:01 PM
But i dont wanto to close the lens , so exposure is in fact ISO , yes ?

Michael Olsen
12-27-2009, 05:51 PM
But i dont wanto to close the lens , so exposure is in fact ISO , yes ?

On the DSLR you've really got three options for exposure:

Aperture
ISO
Filters

If you don't want to close the aperture of the lens, you can adjust the ISO, but this will introduce noise.

Another option is to use ND filters, or a variable ND filter. These may introduce other artifacts (color shifts, falloff in the corners, contrast loss, etc).

Ian-T
12-27-2009, 06:26 PM
...or two linear polarizers like I do....

Michael Olsen
12-27-2009, 06:37 PM
...or two linear polarizers like I do....

Which essentially makes a variable ND filter, doesn't it? Except most commercial options use a circular and a linear polarizer?

bwwd
12-27-2009, 06:45 PM
So its like working with film cam ? Ive got polarizer and ND filter.